intermittent fasting and skipping breakfast myths

Options
I currently eat breakfast when I first get up partially out of habit. The other reason is I've been told you need to eat breakfast in order to have energy, better brain function, and to start your metabolism. I want to try light intermittent fasting but could use some pointers? Other than ending up consuming less calories what are the benefits? Will my metabolism run slower from not breaking my fast after sleeping? Anyone have recomp progress while doing this?

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Your metabolism never stops. If it did you'd be dead :D

I like IF because I'm not much of breakfast person anyway, and it allows me to eat more when I'm actually hungry (also I find when I do eat breakfast I tend to be hungrier durning the day). It's really a matter of personal preference. If you like eating breakfast and feel better doing it, there is nothing wrong with it. There does seem to be some emerging evidence of (possible) benefits to periodic fasting, be it daily IF (usually a 16:8 or 14:10 split), or a weekly 5:2 split (eating very low calorie two days a week, and at maintenance the other 5). But I'm not very UTD on that.

I think it can be a useful tool if you find it helps you better adhere to your calorie goal. There is a pretty cool graphic floating around here on the importance of these things for weight loss and training (from most important to least), putting calories as the most important, then macros, micros, meal timing, and finally supplements. I'm sure someone will post it. Fasting would fall under meal timing, and not nearly as important as calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    miritikvah wrote: »
    I currently eat breakfast when I first get up partially out of habit. The other reason is I've been told you need to eat breakfast in order to have energy, better brain function, and to start your metabolism. I want to try light intermittent fasting but could use some pointers? Other than ending up consuming less calories what are the benefits? Will my metabolism run slower from not breaking my fast after sleeping? Anyone have recomp progress while doing this?
    I can see it to help provide more energy and yes to brain function, but starting your metabolism is a myth. As soon as you roll up out of bed and physically move, your metabolic rate rises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    be it daily IF (usually a 16:8 or 10:14 split),

Is that a typo, or am I confused? Doesn't everyone have close to a 10:14 split? Just under 10 hours asleep; eat when you're awake. I wouldn't have thought that counted as IF?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    be it daily IF (usually a 16:8 or 10:14 split),

Is that a typo, or am I confused? Doesn't everyone have close to a 10:14 split? Just under 10 hours asleep; eat when you're awake. I wouldn't have thought that counted as IF?

Ha! Yes, transposed numbers - 14:10 split (14 hours fasted, 10 hours eating)... I must be tired (10 hours sleep? I'm lucky to get six, and they're usually interrupted by teething toddler :'( ). Went back and fixed it!

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ... but starting your metabolism is a myth. As soon as you roll up out of bed and physically move, your metabolic rate rises.
    Before that, even. We wake up because our brainstem and hypothalamic neurons start producing norepinephrine, acetylcholine, seratonin and more ... Our liver releases some glucose into the bloodstream ... this gets our metabolic rate moving before we even open our eyes.
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I always used to eat breakfast because I thought you needed to - "most important meal of the day" etc. Once I started logging my food, I struggled with a deficit because I like to eat in the evenings, but I wouldn't have many calories left for dinner. I also started noticing that eating small bits here and there left me feeling even hungrier (I would bring fruit into work for mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks). Several small meals left me feeling constantly unsatisfied and wanting to eat more, so I would often go over my calories in the evening for dinner.

I only really started Intermittent fasting ~2 weeks ago, skipping breakfast. I still feel in some ways like I "should" eat breakfast, but I think IF is working better for me. Now I can have a decent lunch and a nice big dinner (or smaller dinner + treat) rather than spreading out my calories throughout the day. I am sticking to my deficit much easier now because I can actually feel satisfied after eating. Skipping breakfast isn't too difficult as I discovered I don't actually get that hungry first thing in the morning, and water keeps me happy until lunch (and knowing that I have a decent sized meal ahead of me helps as well).
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    With 16:8 IF, you're still going to need to watch your calories. I don't like to eat early in the day, and I like larger meals, so it works pretty well for me. One of the benefits of short fasts seems to be improved insulin response, but it won't change how many calories your body burns.

(I do 16:8 or 18:6.)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Never eat breakfast. I do 20:4 and sometimes 21:3
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    miritikvah wrote: »

what is 'light intermittent fasting'?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I use IF to keep my calories in check. I do not notice any other benefit of intermittent fasting. Meal timing has no relevance in weight loss, if that is what you are trying to do. I still have great energy without eating breakfast, although I do consume caffeine as soon as I get up.

This. I use IF as a way to help keep my calorie intake in check. I've also found that if I eat in the morning then I'm hungrier during the rest of the day and that leads to more snacking /going over on calories.
  • Domomallow
    Domomallow Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Like many of the other people responding before me have said- I fast through breakfast and have a late lunch (usually 1 or 2 in the afternoon)
    I find that the biggest benefit is that it keeps me from eating so much.
    If I eat early in the day like that, it wakes up my food cravings or something and I end up being hungry all day long. Whereas when I start eating at 2, I eat a small lunch and go home and cook a larger dinner... I can have a small dessert and still leave a pretty good caloric deficit.
    I would much rather that to eating three small meals and a few snacks.

Keep in mind, I do drink green tea with stevia all morning... so I am hydrating and getting a little bit of caffeine also.
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The public health advice to eat breakfast (i.e wholemeal cereal and/or toast with some fruit, not a full, fried English) is sound, as you would generally get useful nutrients (macro and micro) from these foods. The theory is that if you eat something healthy and filling just after you wake up, you would be less susceptible to a less healthy mid-morning snack, perhaps avoiding choosing something with potentially fewer micronutrients. This is fine for a general population, who are not focused on the fine detail of their diets, but still need to consume a wide variety of foods to meet their nutritional requirements. The meal timing is arbitrary- foods like cereal and toast are typically consumed in the early am and they would (hopefully) prevent less healthy choices later in the morning. However! General population advice is not the same as advice for individual circumstances. If you are a person who is focused on weight loss (or another specific goal) where, as others have noted, calories in vs. calories out is the overriding factor, an important thing would be to arrange your calorie consumption to suit your appetite. If having breakfast shortly after you wake works, have breakfast then. If not, whenever and whatever you eat later is your "break fast" and should be whatever satisfies you and meets your calorie goal.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    The public health advice to eat breakfast (i.e wholemeal cereal and/or toast with some fruit, not a full, fried English) is sound, as you would generally get useful nutrients (macro and micro) from these foods. The theory is that if you eat something healthy and filling just after you wake up, you would be less susceptible to a less healthy mid-morning snack, perhaps avoiding choosing something with potentially fewer micronutrients. This is fine for a general population, who are not focused on the fine detail of their diets, but still need to consume a wide variety of foods to meet their nutritional requirements. The meal timing is arbitrary- foods like cereal and toast are typically consumed in the early am and they would (hopefully) prevent less healthy choices later in the morning. However! General population advice is not the same as advice for individual circumstances. If you are a person who is focused on weight loss (or another specific goal) where, as others have noted, calories in vs. calories out is the overriding factor, an important thing would be to arrange your calorie consumption to suit your appetite. If having breakfast shortly after you wake works, have breakfast then. If not, whenever and whatever you eat later is your "break fast" and should be whatever satisfies you and meets your calorie goal.

This is an interesting idea considering many people do IF because they've found that eating in the morning actually triggers feeling more hungry during the day /needing to snack more. By eliminating eating in the morning I've also eliminated needing a mid-morning snack all together :)

It would be interesting to see what would happen if not eating in the morning became a widespread practice?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Eating for people is a HABITUAL BEHAVIOR. Unless you're willing to change the behavior, one will keep gaining/maintaining the weight they are currently at.
    That said, really all one has to do to lose weight is EAT LESS than they currently are. That's a change in behavior. One doesn't have to add or reduce meal frequencies if it too hard to do. Just make whatever meals they make smaller and or less calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Never eat breakfast. I do 20:4 and sometimes 21:3

I have been known to do 23.5 : 0.5 before and rather enjoyed eating a 2500 calorie meal in one sitting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

I agree with the benefits of a filling first meal, but for many people, including myself, the high carbs and low protein provided by cereal, toast, and fruit is not in the least bit filling.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference when you eat your calories.. If you want to save them for later in the day and fast longer give it a shot. I personally like to get some food in the morning. I do save the vast majority until later just because I'm more inclined to snack at night so I save my calories to fit that in.