E-Reader or Books

Options

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Love the Kindle reader on my iPad.......and the convenience of downloading books - great way to take a selection of books on holiday....Last year in Fiji everyone ran out of books to read - my only problem was the iPad running out of power as everyone was playing Angry Birds, and the generators on the island was only running for 3 hours every night....

I now have a solar battery charger ;-)

For books like New Rules of Lifting, or Paleo Cookbooks I download the e-version, and buy the actual book as well...
  • RunningWithoutAWatch
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I may have to give it a shot. At least see which free books are out there and maybe read some old classics. But I still enjoy the feel of the book. I love having books all around the house. I think its important for my kids to see lots of books and to develop a love of reading.

I love used books stores and I have since discovered Better world books. Its a site that you can order used books from cheap. I used to get them at my library for $.10 a book, but now use this site.

Jay

Here is a link to my blog post regarding purchasing books using them.

http://www.runningwithoutawatch.com/2012/07/better-world-books.html
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I have 300 books on it, and I've only paid for 2 of them.

That's not really something you want to be proclaiming in an open internet forum. This is what I dislike most about e-Readers. Authors trying to make a decent living aren't going to make as much because it's easier to steal a digital copy than it is to steal a physical copy. If nothing else, buy the ones from the lesser-known or independent authors.

I don't think the above post necessarily means they are pirated copies - like I said in my post there are millions of free books available through the Kobo and Kindle websites. I have also only purchased a handfull of books as I'm taking advantage of reading new authors for free - legally

I get that, but 298 free versus 2 purchased seems like a rather disproportionate number for absolutely every one of those 298 to be legally acquired, particularly if that's the poster's main medium for reading.

Unless they're really only reading the ones that are legally free, which, if that's the case, I do apologize.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I love my Kindle. I love that it has a case with a light on it. I have a hard time reading a paper book anymore.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options

That's not really something you want to be proclaiming in an open internet forum. This is what I dislike most about e-Readers. Authors trying to make a decent living aren't going to make as much because it's easier to steal a digital copy than it is to steal a physical copy. If nothing else, buy the ones from the lesser-known or independent authors.

I don't think the above post necessarily means they are pirated copies - like I said in my post there are millions of free books available through the Kobo and Kindle websites. I have also only purchased a handfull of books as I'm taking advantage of reading new authors for free - legally

I get that, but 298 free versus 2 purchased seems like a rather disproportionate number for absolutely every one of those 298 to be legally acquired, particularly if that's the poster's main medium for reading.

Unless they're really only reading the ones that are legally free, which, if that's the case, I do apologize.

There are huge numbers of legitimately free books - anything out of copyright dates for example, and loss leaders, ie the first one of a series which you then get addicted to and buy the rest. I have mostly free or less than £1 books all purchase legitimately via Amazon.

Anyway - what's wrong with reading free books? Most of them are classics and well worth reading :)
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

The books have expired copyright so they are free. You'd be amazed how many classics you can get for free, legally, via amazon or free ebooks websites. I got Dumas, Dante, Greek legends & similar which I'm catching up on again.

I definitely prefer the kindle as I move once a year, and schlepping boxes of books around is NOT pleasurable.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I prefer an actual book. I was given a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I do love it, but I prefer an actual book.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    BOOKS all the way... we gotta save the medium from dying :)

Good luck with that.

Well, books will never completely go away. But a niche they will be.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Both.

I have the kindle app on my iPad and I will download books to that if they are something that I want to read right now or I just don't feel like waiting the week or so to get my book. I also download books on it for vacation because regular books are very heavy.

I also love regular books. I like to go into book stores and browse the shelves for hours. There's nothing better than opening a brand new book and cracking the binding
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

There are huge numbers of legitimately free books - anything out of copyright dates for example, and loss leaders, ie the first one of a series which you then get addicted to and buy the rest. I have mostly free or less than £1 books all purchase legitimately via Amazon.

Anyway - what's wrong with reading free books? Most of them are classics and well worth reading :)

I get that, and there's nothing wrong with reading classics, but this person admitted to paying for only 2 books out of 300. That seems a bit skewed, to me, unless they're only reading classics or books with lapsed copyrights. It's possible, but it seems improbable if digital books are your main source of reading material.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I get that, and there's nothing wrong with reading classics, but this person admitted to paying for only 2 books out of 300. That seems a bit skewed, to me, unless they're only reading classics or books with lapsed copyrights. It's possible, but it seems improbable if digital books are your main source of reading material.

So cynical. *sigh* I have a Nook and LOVE it (although i do still read physical books on occasion). At bn.com, there are literally HUNDREDS of free books that are mostly self-published, and you can find a TON of real gems in there, as well as free classic books EVERYWHERE. There are also library apps where you can check out e-books from the library, and read them *gasp* for free! I have read a lot of good things that have been free/self-published, and a lot of crap, too, but it is perfectly possible to have hundreds of books that have been procured for free. And even if they weren't, and this person was clueless enough to proclaim that in an inappropriate place, to continue to call them out on it in such a cynical and assumptive manner is kind of unnecessary. Glass half full, and all... Just saying.
  • ArtemisXXII
    Options
    I am a hardcore book warrior with an English and American Literature degree (2:1 b!tchaaz)

I was a full on hater of e-readers, "it's the corporate world trying to sink their teeth into literature, man"
    That was UNTIL I had to read books that are so heavy that my wrists would snap off as I tried to get through my course material every day.. Ulysses by James Joyce, The ENTIRE Collection of Shakespeare, Moby D!ck (can't believe that was censored out..), Middlemarch, anyone?

It really got me through my last year at university. I still buy poetry and novels in book form as it feels good to read on paper and have my collection growing in my room, but for quick reads the Kindle is great. And its a life saver on holiday.

As a fellow English major (I want to teach but I've taken way more lit courses than my degree requires, I'd switch my uni doesn't offer a literature major :() I know how you feel. Reading out of my Norton Complete Works of Shakespeare was awful. Don't even get me started on my British, American, and World Lit anthologies.

I love my Nook though, I don't have much on it but I started using it more for classes the last couple semesters so there's quite a few books that were for class that I don't want to have clutter up my book shelf physically. Love my e-reader. And I was a pretty hardcore resister for a long time.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I like regular old books better =] BESIDES most people *I* know with kindles don't even use them for books, lol most of the time they're playing angry birds or something on em.. Reading my *kitten*!! :grumble:

You can play angry birds on a kindle?!... you sure??

You could play Angry Birds on a Kindle Fire.
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    I prefer an actual book over my Kindle
    I got the Kindle for Christmas and I've found myself using it for everything else BUT reading. I've looked up books and gotten samples to decide if I'd like to read it or not, but thats about as far as I've gone.

I prefer having the book in hand. If I end up not liking the book, I'll give it away or sell it. If I like it I can add it to my collection. :)
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

So cynical. *sigh* I have a Nook and LOVE it (although i do still read physical books on occasion). At bn.com, there are literally HUNDREDS of free books that are mostly self-published, and you can find a TON of real gems in there, as well as free classic books EVERYWHERE. There are also library apps where you can check out e-books from the library, and read them *gasp* for free! I have read a lot of good things that have been free/self-published, and a lot of crap, too, but it is perfectly possible to have hundreds of books that have been procured for free. And even if they weren't, and this person was clueless enough to proclaim that in an inappropriate place, to continue to call them out on it in such a cynical and assumptive manner is kind of unnecessary. Glass half full, and all... Just saying.

I get that it's possible to legally have hundreds of books for free, but it seems improbable that you could acquire 99% of your book collection for free unless you really don't care about what you're reading. Also, I don't know about your library, but mine only lets me check out 25 books at a time. I guess, if you were constantly renewing them, that could account for another 7% or so of the book collection, but that's still 92% free.

It just seems like a very unlikely percentage to me if that's your main medium for reading.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I get that it's possible to legally have hundreds of books for free, but it seems improbable that you could acquire 99% of your book collection for free unless you really don't care about what you're reading. Also, I don't know about your library, but mine only lets me check out 25 books at a time. I guess, if you were constantly renewing them, that could account for another 7% or so of the book collection, but that's still 92% free.

It just seems like a very unlikely percentage to me if that's your main medium for reading.

And STILL you continue to harp on it. :indifferent: I GET that you doubt it. I do, too, if it comes down to that, but really, WHAT does it matter, to keep going on and on about it? YOU cannot personally prevent anyone from downloading things illegally, the person who originally posted about only paying for 2 books has not responded, and it's just not worth getting panties in a wad over, really. You pay for your books, I pay for mine, and others will do whatever it is that they do, regardless of what you say or how many times you say it on an online forum. I was just trying to offer a plausibly positive alternative. Seems people are always suspicious of everyone else's motives, probably mostly for good reason, but really, it only worries YOU, it's not bothering them at all. lol. That's all I was trying to say. :flowerforyou:

That being said, Yay, e-readers! :D
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

And STILL you continue to harp on it. :indifferent: I GET that you doubt it. I do, too, if it comes down to that, but really, WHAT does it matter, to keep going on and on about it? YOU cannot personally prevent anyone from downloading things illegally, the person who originally posted about only paying for 2 books has not responded, and it's just not worth getting panties in a wad over, really. You pay for your books, I pay for mine, and others will do whatever it is that they do, regardless of what you say or how many times you say it on an online forum. I was just trying to offer a plausibly positive alternative. Seems people are always suspicious of everyone else's motives, probably mostly for good reason, but really, it only worries YOU, it's not bothering them at all. lol. That's all I was trying to say. :flowerforyou:

That being said, Yay, e-readers! :D

Wow, I was just trying to clarify my point. Sorry I've chosen to concern myself with a profession in which I wish to some day make money.
  • Mctree20
    Mctree20 Posts: 137
    Options
    I have a Nook. Was totally converted after buying it. Being able to read my entire library on my phone is awesome.

I do miss the feel of books, but this is definitely the future.
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    I can't seem to make the switch to an E-reader. I like the feel and the smell of a book.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Kindle all the way. i will never buy a book again.

i cant think of 1 reason to not switch to Kindle/e-reader.