hey.. help with macros?

Options
I have no clue about macros. I am trying to lose some weight, but my job requires me to sit on my *kitten* for a very long time.. i mean weeks lol. I try to use the hotel gyms after work but sometimes I work too late. So for someone who wants to lose weight, not starve, and isn't able to work out a solid routine... what should my macros be ? Any insight?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Focus on your calories first. Once you master logging those then I would see where you need to adjust your macros. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
  • Jokerz9
    Jokerz9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You must focus on everything if you want to lose weight in a proper way, like carbs intake, protein intake, fatts intake, and calories per meal,
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Jokerz9 wrote: »
    You must focus on everything if you want to lose weight in a proper way, like carbs intake, protein intake, fatts intake, and calories per meal,
    This is simply untrue. You can have a very healthy, 'proper' weight loss while staying on one's current diet and simply reducing portion-sizes and thus calories.

Unless you have a medical disorder that requires or benefits from a certain macronutrient profile, there's little need to get very precise with them. 40/30/30 of carbs/fat/protein works for most people as a rough guideline.
  • Jokerz9
    Options
    Only calories deficit is not enough bro you must understand from where these calories are comming, like if you are only focusing on low calories diet and you are getting more calories from fat then how it gonna work, stay healthy
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Calories from fat are just fine. Fat is good to eat. I lost 40kg eating a high fat diet.
  • Jokerz9
    Options
    There is good fat and bad fat, like saturated transfat etc
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    There is good fat and bad fat, like saturated transfat etc

And none of them prevent one from weight loss as long as they are in a calorie deficit.

You're missing the point which is that putting a hyper focus on macros isn't necessary for the OP to lose weight. There is no magic ratio that works for everyone. The only thing the OP should worry about macro wise is getting enough protein. A high protein diet is beneficial, especially when losing weight, as it helps preserve muscle mass.

OP, play around with your macros until you find what makes you feel most satiated. I personally find MFP's 50% carb default to be too high. I feel much better with a 40C/30F/30P spilt as the poster above stated. Carbs are usually between 35 to 45%, Fat 30 to 40%, and Protein 20 to 30%. I always make sure to hit a 100g minimum for my protein and 25g minimum for fiber, then anything else can fall where it may for the day. I try to pay attention to my body's signals to see what I may need more of that particular day.
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, so I'm lucky to hit 3,000 steps per day if I don't work out. And yes, eating to a deficit with a very sedentary lifestyle sucks, as I discover on rest days when I always bust my limit. But I don't work out because my job is easy and I work short hours. I work out because it's worth it, so I make time for it.

I have a routine, so I can work out every day at the same time (insanely early in the morning). But my friend is a paramedic, who manages to make time to play (field) hockey and run marathons. Where there's a will, there's a way.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

nope
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Focus on hitting your calorie goal primarily and don't worry too much about macros or working out. If you are very inactive then set your activity level to sedentary.