Need advice on how to lose 35 lbs in the next 4 months. Please Help

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    maggiepz wrote: »
    You can lose weight very quickly on a very low carb diet but it is really hard to stick to and most people end up gaining much of the weight back.
    you can still gain weight eating low carb. its all about a caloric deficit. if you arent in one you wont lose weight. doesnt matter how you eat to get there.sure you want to eat healthy for health reasons(meaning get enough nutrients and macros in). but everything in moderation as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Roxxykyu wrote: »
    How many calories should I start back again?

Set up MFP based on your goal. (I think 2 lb is okay at your size, as I did it at a similar size, but if the calorie amount seems depressing or hard to manage go for 1 lb or 1.5 -- it is WAY more important that you find a way to enjoy this so you can make it work long term than that you kick yourself into being as super disciplined as possible and feel like you either get to eat normally and enjoyably or lose weight). Also, it may be helpful to have a big goal, but don't let it get too important -- just losing and not gaining is a huge thing, and time flies (maybe not as much at your age as mine, but it does). I also found smaller goals useful -- getting to 199 if you start at 200, say, and also goals you have more control over (you have control over the loss, but maybe not the time). Process goals are things like "eat within my calories every day" or "eat vegetables at lunch and dinner" or "run three times this week."

Try to eat in a way that is not only calorie appropriate but doesn't feel like a "diet" to you -- normal, tasty eating, but calorie conscious. Someone watching me wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if I was eating at a deficit or not, as I eat the same basic food, just am a bit more indulgent more often (oils and cheese and such) when I have more calories to work with.
    I can't afford a gym, but I can workout at home and I do have a park in front of my apartment complex I can go to. What other tips might help me?

For working out, when I first started one thing I did was walk as much as possible. Anywhere I wanted to go, I walked if I could. It made a lot of difference in my calorie burn without feeling like I was doing much, I felt generally good as a result (good for one's state of mind), and I think it's actually why I was able to lose 2 lbs (MFP predicted less). Beyond that, again with the idea of making it as sustainable as possible, I found things I enjoyed doing and didn't start too hard. I'd go through "must get back in shape!" in the past and burn out fast, so I initially just said I'd do something extra that was active 3 days, 30 minutes/day and worked up. I tried a variety of things (gym cardio, running outside, yoga, various DVDs, weights, swimming, before figuring out what I really enjoyed the most, and for a while I even had a goal of trying something new at least once a week).

Just some ideas. Good luck -- I am sure you can do this!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    35lb - yep, good goal, you can definitely achieve this.

4 months - why? Why the deadline? Seriously, this timescale turns this from a completely achievable goal into a miserable grind that you will probably fail at, and almost certainly regain the weight if you do manage to lose it. You're making a rod for your own back trying to lose it that fast, for no conceivable reason.

My advice: drop the deadline. Set a goal based around a pound a week - so let's say, aim to lose 20lb by the beginning of June. That's completely doable without suffering or uprooting your entire lifestyle. Then once you reach 20lb down, reconsider your rate of loss. If you're close to a healthy weight, you may need to slow down to half a pound a week for the final stretch.

Don't plan to be strict, don't plan to be "motivated" every minute of the day, cos it won't happen. Instead, plan to be persistent. Every time you eat more than you intended, don't throw up your hands and quit - just shrug your shoulders and carry on. No guilt. No self punishment. No drama. Just keep going. You may lose at the rate you want, or you may lose it faster or slower. The point is, you're losing it.

Weight loss is a long game. There are no shortcuts. And once you lose it, you're going to have to keep some of the habits for the rest of your life in order to keep it off. So there's no point in rushing it.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You have had some success with losing weight so you know how to do this. I am not sure that 35 pounds is reasonable...but 20 or 25 would make a huge difference and the shorter term goals can be just as rewarding.

I am a long time maintainer of over 50 pounds of weight loss...about 10 years now. I struggle with gaining and losing the last 20 pounds.

The long term change that I made that helps me maintain is my overall activity level doing day to day things like walking to the store, shopping, cleaning, playing with pets. I think a step tracker like Fitbit helps. I aim for well over 10,000 steps and that is completely doable. In terms of lifestyle it makes for a lot of fun. It also helps to be less restrictive with diet over the long term.
  • RoxxyChen
    RoxxyChen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's input I really appreciate it and it means a lot to me. I will definitely be more reliastic on how to approach my goal.