Is there a decent bench press I can get for home?

Options
Mom of 2, was skinny fat after losing 45lbs in 4 months. I have been using dumbbells and increasing the weight with deep lunges and squats. I'm definitely getting results, but feel like I need to go bigger. Is there a bench press anyone can recommend for at home that is the too expensive? I just want to build up these legs and butt.

Replies

• cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I love my Weider Club bench. It didnt cost too much and you can get it at Dick's Sporting goods. Its adjustable and wide enough yo feel stable.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ???
    Bench press or Squat Rack?
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you're going to lift heavy alone, you need a power rack, which unfortunately isn't cheap.
  • ZLARZ
    ZLARZ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't want to lift like super heavy where I need a spot. I've just been told I need to invest in a bench press. Obviously I don't know a lot about what I need. I just need something that's going to help build muscle in lower body really.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    You want squat stands or a power rack. What's your budget?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    a bench press is not really going to help you build leg muscles and butt muscles. I have seen benches with leg curl bar attached but in this case I think you might be wanting a squat rack.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ZLARZ wrote: »
    Well, I don't want to lift like super heavy where I need a spot. I've just been told I need to invest in a bench press. Obviously I don't know a lot about what I need. I just need something that's going to help build muscle in lower body really.

A squat rack/power cage would be ideal for safety and to help you achieve your goals, especially lower body since you should be focusing on squat, deadlifts. And bowflex has a good bench to complete the set.
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've equipped a full home gym with pieces from a company called Body Solid.They make power racks with pulley systems,benches,barbells,dumbbells.Everything.It's all held up,and I'm still using it several days a week.
    You can buy a bench,and then a basic squat rack.You just want to be able to get a barbell on your back and squat it safely.With a rack,it will catch the bar if you drop it.
    If you want more ideas for what to consider purchasing have a look at their site.It can all be ordered online.
    It does have to be assembled.But that's really not too hard.
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The website is Fitness Factory Outlet.I had a look and I think Body-Solid Power Rack and Lat Station package with Bench would be all you need.You might need to add a few bars,and plates if you don't have them already.The rack,and bench are $759.I'm sure there's shipping too.
    But I'll tell you you'll be very happy to have a pulley system.You can do so many exercises on it.
    This is close to the make of rack I have.It's absolutely sturdy,and very versatile.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just did a quick search & found this bench: link for $114.00 & this rack: link for $299.00. Again, obviously there would be shipping.
    I bought all my bars & plates at garage sales over time, but new sets have come way down in price.

As others said, this is the kind of rig that it takes. It is safe to use by yourself, so go ahead & lift heavy. I have used a similar type set for the last year running SL 5x5 & experienced amazing results.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I got my bench press, weights, pull up bar, and treadmill used (my basement gym is my profile pic). My total equipment cost was about $350 for an entire basement gym and I do the 5X5 stronglifts there among other things. Lots of used equipment will pop up on craigslist and the local yard sales. You just have to be quick to score a bargain.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ZLARZ wrote: »
    Mom of 2, was skinny fat after losing 45lbs in 4 months. I have been using dumbbells and increasing the weight with deep lunges and squats. I'm definitely getting results, but feel like I need to go bigger. Is there a bench press anyone can recommend for at home that is the too expensive? I just want to build up these legs and butt.

not sure how a bench press is going to build legs and but ....