Gastric sleeve surgery post op diet / dehydration

Hello, guys my name is annie I usually don't talk in these things but here goes. I'm 25 years old. I stared using this app since February which I have lost 70 pounds . I have also have the gastric sleeve surgery on December 10 th. When I was on my liquid meal plan everything was perfect but then my puréed meal plan was like night and day. I stoped drinking my protein shakes and became super dehydrated resulting last night into an emergency room visit for iv fluids. Eating and drinking I'm feeling are becoming a juggling act no enough hours in the day and defenitly not enough room in my stomach. To meet my nutritional needs. The lovely b12 yeah they are just making me super nauseous I'm having to open up the capsules and swallow the inside of the pill which twice I'm not gonna like I have vomited a little bit so I was told to stop taking them does anyone have any one tricks for vitamins like that as well do b12 bcomplex exist in chewables ??

Replies

• tddy2
    tddy2 Posts: 6 Member
    Have you considered doing the B shots? I do them at home.
  • tddy2
    tddy2 Posts: 6 Member
    Can I ask how much weight have you lost since you got the gastric sleeve?
  • amacdonald81
    amacdonald81 Posts: 4 Member
    I believe I have seen b12 chewables at Walgreens near the women's vitamins: hair skin nails, calcium, vitamin chewables.
    Can I ask you what pros and cons you have of the whole sleeve process? A friend of mine had it done and has lost almost 80lbs. I am interested in trying it myself, but only have 70-75lbs to lose.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    I'm sorry that you have to go through all of this! Dehydration was the major problem for my husband's uncle (or I guess technically 2nd cousin, but he calls him uncle) who had gastric bypass in Sept 2016. He went through a similar thing: once he was on solids, he couldn't get enough liquids to keep himself hydrated and has been on an IV drip at least 4-5 times. He's working on it, but he hasn't figured out how to balance his intake yet.

He's lost over 70lbs (might be near 80 lbs now) as a 65 year old man in 4 months, and is off blood pressure meds, so that's good. Not sure of his starting weight, but he was well over 300lbs at 6'-2" or so. I believe the vitamins he takes are chewable, but I don't know whether it's in multivitamin form or individual vitamins. So I can't help with that, other than to say that they do exist. The only chewable ones we get are C, but there must be others.

When I was pregnant, I couldn't swallow the vitamins without vomiting them up, so I asked my doctor. They gave me several samples of chewable prenatal vitamins. I know the dietary requirements for you will be much different than during pregnancy, but you should ask your doctor's office to see if they have chewable bariatric vitamin samples, or at least recommendations. That way you can make sure you're getting the proper amount!

Good luck, and I wish you all the best!
  • anniecorda484
    anniecorda484 Posts: 7 Member
    Sure ladies thanks for the responses I can answer both questions . I have lost 50 pounds on my own before the surgery I weighed 299 pounds was my highest the day of surgery I weighed in at 241 now today I'm 222.6 . I had my surgery December 10 th at nyu in manhattan. The past two weeks I have been recovering from the flu so I really haven't been moving so I probably do weigh less idk .

B12 chewables sound interesting and the b12 shots do too thank you I will definitely check those out .

Okay so the pros and cons of the surgery I'm gonna tell you exactly what I went through . This is just what happened to me . I had a really good doctor I wasn't in any pain the day of surgery woke up same day was walking around the hospital it honestly just felt like if u were to go to the gym and do a lot of crunches but not excruciating pain . Thank god that was my fear was to be in pain but there was no pain med it felt like you worked out you stomach really hard that it. First con and pro you wake up you realize that you have his feeling that you mind and you stomach are disconnected so all hunger cues are gone. Now I see food I totally different way which is sad . Food not for enjoyment it's for fuel. Which is true. I love my bf we use to go out to dinner and enjoy nice meals now I'm eating puréed mush . You gotta be creative . I lost 50 pounds before the surgery by working out hardcore drinking protein shakes with water only putting garlic powder dill organo and pepper and lemon on my food I think think I eat my weight in egg whites but any way .
  • anniecorda484
    P2 with the sleeve you have to stay super hydrated. I was always dehydrated . I didn't know it . I didn't know that I was suppose to drink 64 ounces of water a day or more . Most of the time I have trouble now . Also when I first got the surgery and I got home this be tmi ur gonna to the bathroom a lot don't be alarmed ur not dying lol it's really hard to be regular after the surgery through the whol process you feel like a baby again no joke your learning everything over you might have accidents I'm gonna tell you the truth and then you'll get to know ur body
  • anniecorda484
    edited January 2017
    And then just people give half complements all the time and it's really annoying
  • anniecorda484
    And they don't tell you about hair loss after the surgery which does happen I have thick curly hair but it is happening which i didn't think it was gonna happen . fc3j93m4y6lj.jpg
    But it's just a little bit it's not a lot and they tell u after the surgery and it's because the lack of nutrition
  • Frog1964PH
    Frog1964PH Posts: 1 Member
    They have vitamin patches.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    My daughter takes B12 in liquid form. It doesn't taste great, but it's not so horrible she can't take it either.