Already discouraged today!

Options
I weighed myself and I have GAINED 2 lbs! I updated my measurements on here and notice how much thinner I was..of course it was back in 2013!! lol. Still I would have thought the scale would at least be moving in the opposite direction. I have been working out 2 times per day most of the time and usually not eating back all of those calories and under my goal calories. Do you think it's too much protein? I'm following the 21 day fix container system for the most part. :( Congrats to everyone whose scale is moving in the right direction! I'm going to try cardio tonight and upping my water intake. I did notice my sodium level was little high yesterday.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories *and* using containers?

You've gained pounds since when? Yesterday? Last week? Excesss sodium can cause temporary water weight gain.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    2 pounds overnight? That's water, hormones, salt, carbs, inflammation and just normal fluctuation. Or 2 pounds since 2013?

I use the Libra app to trend my weight. As women, that dang number on the scale just doesn't mean a whole lot. Use a weekly average.

I'm up 1.7 pounds from yesterday. No worries.
  • Aliteralballofsunshine
    Options
    Your body could be replacing fat with muscle. Especially if you feel thinner. Muscle is more dense than fat so you could weigh the exact same but be in a smaller size.

If your sodium is high. Have a good workout and drink water. Try to reduce your sodium intake. You should bounce back in a few days. Same thing happened to me last week.
  • cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Use your weight as a motivator but dont take your everyday weight as the barometer for success. Total body of work here.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Your body could be replacing fat with muscle. Especially if you feel thinner. Muscle is more dense than fat so you could weigh the exact same but be in a smaller size.

If your sodium is high. Have a good workout and drink water. Try to reduce your sodium intake. You should bounce back in a few days. Same thing happened to me last week.

Muscle doesn't magically replace fat. And if OP is in a calorie deficit, they're most likely not going to be building muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    2lbs is likely a fluctuation. One can do the same exact eating and workout 2 weeks in a row and have different results because weight loss ISN'T linear.
    Continue, but as mentioned weigh your food. Just don't rely packing the containers. An extra 100 calories a day daily is a 10lbs gain a year.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I gain 2 lbs between when I get up in the morning and when I have a glass of water & breakfast, not to mention the myriad of other things that make our weight fluctuate. No, it's not from "too much protein".
  • try2again
    Options
    First comment was a little terse (so many of these posts). Let's try again: everyone's weight fluctuates- often by several lbs- from day to day & from hour to hour. Your scale weight is only significant as a trend over time. Also, when you add a new exercise regimen, your body will retain more water for muscle repair. It will balance out with time.
  • JenMK4678
    JenMK4678 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    2 pounds overnight? That's water, hormones, salt, carbs, inflammation and just normal fluctuation. Or 2 pounds since 2013?

I use the Libra app to trend my weight. As women, that dang number on the scale just doesn't mean a whole lot. Use a weekly average.

2lbs. since I started on Sunday..Too soon?? lol
  • try2again
    Options
    JenMK4678 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Too soon. Check back in a few weeks.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    like others have said weight fluctuations - not only from day to day, but also at different times of the day

if you are going to weigh yourself (I do daily) - then do it at the same time, and consider using an app that will give you a trend line - that will help you see that even if your weight may go up on a given day, that maybe your overall weight is down
  • JenMK4678
    JenMK4678 Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks! I know this in my head! :neutral: It just is disappointing to see when you've been trying to work so hard. I'll do some cardio tonight! I do have a food scale so I will try and do better weighing the foods instead of the containers.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Waaaaay too soon. I fluctuate 2-3 pounds daily. Even weekly measurements can vary quite a lot. Over the past six weeks I was: unchanged for two weeks, down 10 pounds in two weeks, then unchanged for two weeks. Don't worry. If you are reliably hitting your calorie targets, you will lose weight. Look at the trends, not the daily (or even weekly) measurements.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the best advice someone gave here was weigh everything...if the recommended serving size on a bag is 3 chips or 30g - weigh the 30g it'll be more precise...

as an example, last night having some bacon to hit my fat macros for the day...according to the package - 1 serving is 1 slice, pan fried, 12g...when i cooked it - the closest i got per slice was like 24g (from an original 30g raw)...if i had gone by the package and just had 3 slices (assuming that was 36g) - i would have doubled the serving unintentionally
  • try2again
    Options
    Thanks! I know this in my head! :neutral: It just is disappointing to see when you've been trying to work so hard. I'll do some cardio tonight! I do have a food scale so I will try and do better weighing the foods instead of the containers.

Don't feel too bad. I've been on MFP for almost 2 years and have lost 40 lbs (I don't always feel up to restricting and then will eat at maintenance). Two weeks ago, I decided to start restricting again as I still have about 30 lbs to go. Had a drop of 3 lbs the first week, which I knew was primarily water just by virtue of restricting again (initial weight loss is often a lot of water), and this week had a 1 lb gain, which is perfectly normal and actually leaves me exactly at a 1 lb/week loss, but I still resented it! You'll really need to relax and accept the fact that the scale doesn't accurately reflect your progress from day-to-day or even week-to-week, but only as a trend over time.
  • karleeggarner
    karleeggarner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself everyday, be flexible with your reactions to the numbers. As many have said it will vary from day to day so its not worth getting upset about on a day to day basis. I personally think weighing in once a week is the way to go. The number difference between the weigh ins seem a little more "real" to me. And inches off is just as good as weight off! In fact I think loosing inches is more of a victory a lot of times then the pounds on the scale ;) I would rather weigh a little more and have tight muscle then weigh less with flappy skin (so much flappy 2 yrs post belly skin on me right now!) Just my 2cents. Keep going!
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    the best advice someone gave here was weigh everything...if the recommended serving size on a bag is 3 chips or 30g - weigh the 30g it'll be more precise...

as an example, last night having some bacon to hit my fat macros for the day...according to the package - 1 serving is 1 slice, pan fried, 12g...when i cooked it - the closest i got per slice was like 24g (from an original 30g raw)...if i had gone by the package and just had 3 slices (assuming that was 36g) - i would have doubled the serving unintentionally

When following the 21 day fix program, it is not necessary to weigh your food. It is all based on container sizes, and it works. It is normal to fluctuate. Don't stress it. The scale isn't linear, and it doesn't take into account water retention, hormones, pending bowel movements etc. Just keep doing what you're doing.

BTW, when I did my first round, I followed the portions to a t. I only lost 1.5 lbs which to me was very discouraging- the scale messes with your mind so much. But when I took my measurements I was down 7 inches overall. It changed my whole perspective. I don't read into the scale anymore and only focus on measurements.

Keep moving fwd. I love 21 day fix.
  • megbugs
    megbugs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Keep going!!! You're killing it with 21 day fix and double workouts. You could even pair back if needed. Don't beat yourself up....you'll get what you put in! Maybe switch to just weighing yourself once a week if the day to day is driving you nuts. We've all been there!!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Search the forums for "water weight" and try your hardest to get a handle on this, it will save you so much heartache. You are a classic case of water weight gain, as you have just started a new exercise regime, and it sounds like you are putting a lot of effort into it, which means your muscles are healing and adapting - that means they will retain a lot of water, which will mask your fat loss. You need to just hang in there and not let the scale get you down. That water will come off again eventually.

I have to add that, as a Scot, I'm slightly appalled that anyone would start a new exercise and calorie cutting regime on New Year's Day, which the good Lord has ordained for sleeping in and eating steak pie.