To much protein?

Options
A big part of my diet is eating foods high in protein because I stay full longer,and it's filling. but my fitness pal is telling me I'm eating to much protein, any opinions on this.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    can you open up your diary?

settings>diary>set to public
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if you have issues with kidneys and processing protein be careful otherwise MFP settings are Minimum daily requirements.

I personally strive for 110grams a day...I bet you aren't hitting that.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    my protein is 125 a day (female, 5'3", 153 right now) - and MFP doesn't tell me i'm eating too much - so it could be a matter of your settings (or if you are significantly going over what it has assigned you)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You can adjust your macro goals in 5% increments with a free MFP account. Set your macros to your personal macro goals.

On the website, it's under My Home > Goals in the Daily Nutrition Goals section.
  • D500be
    D500be Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So, what are safe amounts of protein, fat, and carbs percentage wise that help make a healthy life or food profile?
  • seska422
    edited January 2017
    Options
    D500be wrote: »
    So, what are safe amounts of protein, fat, and carbs percentage wise that help make a healthy life or food profile?
    The US Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges are:

Carbs: 45-65%
    Protein: 10-35%
    Fat: 20-35%

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients
  • SezxyStef
    Options

that depends on your goals.

My goals are to help with muscle repair due to tears from lifting heavy so I eat the following:

0.8 grams of protein for each lb I weigh
    0.4 grams of fat for each lb I weigh
    rest carbs.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

It completely depends on your goals and what foods are satiating for you...there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Those of us who are lifting are aiming for around .08 g protein per lb of bodyweight...I let the carbs and fat fall where they may, as long as I am in my calorie goal. Protein is the only macro I am concerned about, although I make sure I don't shy away too much from fat.
  • Kar_202
    Kar_202 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well I'm eating about 100grams a day
    According to this web site i found I'm not far off but idk how accurate this is lol9s12pua0du9k.png
  • seska422
    Options
    100 grams per day is a good amount if that's working for you and you don't have any medical issues with it.

Change your MFP goals to that rather than trying to conform to the MFP default.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    You're fine OP. I also try for 100-120g. Might just twerking your mfp goal if it bothers you. Or, I think that prompt can be turned off.
  • SezxyStef
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    You're fine OP. I also try for 100-120g. Might just twerking your mfp goal if it bothers you. Or, I think that prompt can be turned off.

actually 100 is spot on for her...133x0.8 is 106 grams...125 is a bit much for her weight not that it will hurt but is not necessary.

ETA: there is no prompt for protein btw...but the numbers are red when you go over or hit the goal.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    MFP kinda has odd macro percentages in my opinion. There is a way to customize your diary, but you'll have to forfit the suggested carb intake in order to get accurate protein readings. A lot of people suggest .5 - 1g protein x lb. of bodyweight. I make my goal around 115g of protein and if you look at my diary you'll see the protein goal is accurate, but it allows for 0 carbs, which is not doable for my diet. Basically, get numbers in your head that you feel will suit your dietary needs and just use MFP as a tracker instead of following the percentages suggested.
  • deannalfisher
    edited January 2017
    Options
    MFP kinda has odd macro percentages in my opinion. There is a way to customize your diary, but you'll have to forfit the suggested carb intake in order to get accurate protein readings. A lot of people suggest .5 - 1g protein x lb. of bodyweight. I make my goal around 115g of protein and if you look at my diary you'll see the protein goal is accurate, but it allows for 0 carbs, which is not doable for my diet. Basically, get numbers in your head that you feel will suit your dietary needs and just use MFP as a tracker instead of following the percentages suggested.

109g of fat daily? you take in almost as much fat as you do protein?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

109g of fat daily? you take in almost as much fat as you do protein?

Yeah - that's a f-ton of fat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Yea wow I agree for your calorie allowance, that is a high fat goal unless you are very very low carb.. but 0 carbs? You surely eat more than 0 carbs!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some kidney issues you are not going to have any issue with high protein diets. I have eaten 1.2 grams per pound while I was doing my major loss and did just fine. I keep my fat around 20% of intake. Right now my split is 40p/40c/20f
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I routinely eat at least 100 g of fat per day and right around 100 G protein. It's not as much as you might think (I get 50-80g of carbs per day, so yes, low carb, but not super low). That said, my maintenance is 1900 (without exercise), don't know about peaceout_aly.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yea wow I agree for your calorie allowance, that is a high fat goal unless you are very very low carb.. but 0 carbs? You surely eat more than 0 carbs!

if you look at her diary - she eats carbs but doesn't have an allowance for them in MFP (it is zero'd out for her) and then her calorie amount is based solely on fat/protein values
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I routinely eat at least 100 g of fat per day and right around 100 G protein. It's not as much as you might think (I get 50-80g of carbs per day, so yes, low carb, but not super low). That said, my maintenance is 1900 (without exercise), don't know about peaceout_aly.

but do you eat carbs too and account for them?