chives
salt
pepper

What are your favorites? Bacon???

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I just recently started topping my steel cut oats with some butter, a poached egg and parmesan cheese. My husband can't get enough.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do a savory side dish with steel cut oats.. I use broth with saffron to cook the oats then add sautéed onions or shallots and garlic and spices.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee some broccoli or cauliflower cut pretty small with spinach, add that to my steel cut oats, and then add an egg (over easy) or two and break the yolk and stir it around. Delicious.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I like to sautee some broccoli or cauliflower cut pretty small with spinach, add that to my steel cut oats, and then add an egg (over easy) or two and break the yolk and stir it around. Delicious.
    Loving this! Was thinking of adding spinach tomorrow.

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 834 Member
    Options

I tried this this morning. Definitely different from sweet oatmeal, but I like it :) Thanks for sharing!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Lentils or black beans mixed in.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Lentils or black beans mixed in.
    OMG!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Again, thanks for this. I've had spinach and arugula in my savory oats the last few days and YUM!.

Todays:
    steel cut oats
    chives
    cheddar
    one egg
    spinach and arugula
    salt, pepper, some siracha
    YUM
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Mind *blown* I leeerve oats, but it had never occurred to me that they would be good as a savoury
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Again, thanks for this. I've had spinach and arugula in my savory oats the last few days and YUM!.

Todays:
    steel cut oats
    chives
    cheddar
    one egg
    spinach and arugula
    salt, pepper, some siracha
    YUM

I'm glad it works for you! I love oats but want vegetables in the morning and prefer savory breakfasts, so hearing about the savory oats idea was a revelation for me. ;-) Plus oats AND an egg, yum.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me tremendously hungry and given me a ton of ideas for weekend brunch. I love the spinach/oats/runny egg idea.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    This thread has made me tremendously hungry and given me a ton of ideas for weekend brunch. I love the spinach/oats/runny egg idea.
    The runny egg is awesome. I make a little "bowl" in my oats, and crack the egg in there and cook it in the microwave while warming my oats. Spinach/SC oats/egg/cheese is my current obsession.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Turn it into a mushroom "risotto." Yummy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Today's savory oats:
    steel cut oats
    spinach
    avocado
    a runny egg
    salt
    pepper

oh my. <3
  • steingrunnen
    steingrunnen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a simple gal. I just crack an egg into it the last minute of cooking. Then I add salt and pepper.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    One of my fave breakfasts is oatmeal with a little milk, butter, and salt and topped with a fried egg.

ETA: I use Kerrygold butter, which I think is one of the main reasons I love this so much. It's one of the most delicious things to me! I didn't even like butter much until I tasted that.