To much protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    MFP kinda has odd macro percentages in my opinion. There is a way to customize your diary, but you'll have to forfit the suggested carb intake in order to get accurate protein readings. A lot of people suggest .5 - 1g protein x lb. of bodyweight. I make my goal around 115g of protein and if you look at my diary you'll see the protein goal is accurate, but it allows for 0 carbs, which is not doable for my diet. Basically, get numbers in your head that you feel will suit your dietary needs and just use MFP as a tracker instead of following the percentages suggested.

Yea wow I agree for your calorie allowance, that is a high fat goal unless you are very very low carb.. but 0 carbs? You surely eat more than 0 carbs!

if you look at her diary - she eats carbs but doesn't have an allowance for them in MFP (it is zero'd out for her) and then her calorie amount is based solely on fat/protein values

Ahh yes I see. Nevermind then!
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    A big part of my diet is eating foods high in protein because I stay full longer,and it's filling. but my fitness pal is telling me I'm eating to much protein, any opinions on this.

How much do you eat? I doubt you're eating too much...I eat 300g per day.
  • D500be
    D500be Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your comments. I believe your suggestions will help me a lot!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I routinely eat at least 100 g of fat per day and right around 100 G protein. It's not as much as you might think (I get 50-80g of carbs per day, so yes, low carb, but not super low). That said, my maintenance is 1900 (without exercise), don't know about peaceout_aly.

but do you eat carbs too and account for them?

Yes, I eat carb (tho like I said, pretty low). I was never much for logging my food >:) and since going into maintenance I really haven't bothered, but just for fun today I went ahead and logged what I plan to eat today (my diary is open). Ignore the 1400 calorie per day goal; I never updated my goal since losing the weight :D My maintenance is about 1950. Today looks like it will be slightly lower on carbs than I normally go and a touch higher on fat, but it's still a pretty typical day for me.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    A big part of my diet is eating foods high in protein because I stay full longer,and it's filling. but my fitness pal is telling me I'm eating to much protein, any opinions on this.

I tweaked the default MFP macros to give me more protein and less carbs. This keeps me fuller longer.

Also, the only number that's important to not be red is total calories. You can think of the other numbers as minimums rather than maximums.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You can't really have too much money or protein.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you're prone to gout attacks (I can get them because of the blood pressure meds I'm on), certain high protein foods can trigger them: red meat, organ meats, certain seafood. I had beef with two meals once and developed a gout attack the next day.

If you're not and your kidneys are fine, you're probably OK.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

My guess is that you have your macros set to MFP defaults...so protein is basically going to be the RDA minimum...a lot of people eat more than RDA minimums, and frankly, if you're active and dieting, you should.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    You're fine OP. I also try for 100-120g. Might just twerking your mfp goal if it bothers you. Or, I think that prompt can be turned off.

Omg... I am going to have to turn auto correct off. Should have been "tweaking"...
    But who knows, twerking might have helped too?
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I routinely eat at least 100 g of fat per day and right around 100 G protein. It's not as much as you might think (I get 50-80g of carbs per day, so yes, low carb, but not super low). That said, my maintenance is 1900 (without exercise), don't know about peaceout_aly.

What does your 100g protein a day typically look like, if you don't mind me asking?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

What does your 100g protein a day typically look like, if you don't mind me asking?

My diary is open, and tho I don't normally log anymore, I did log today just to give an idea of a typical day. I base my meals on meat, eggs, and cheese, and also get protein from nuts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    D500be wrote: »
    So, what are safe amounts of protein, fat, and carbs percentage wise that help make a healthy life or food profile?

that depends on your goals.

My goals are to help with muscle repair due to tears from lifting heavy so I eat the following:

0.8 grams of protein for each lb I weigh
    0.4 grams of fat for each lb I weigh
    rest carbs.

I agree with those goals (just about the same as what I do), with one caveat:

Personally, I would've said "0.8 grams of protein for each pound of a healthy body weight/goal weight".

Occasionally, you see someone on MFP who still has quite a bit of weight to lose believing they need 0.8 grams of protein per pound of current weight (and they're maybe over 200 pounds, heading for, say, 135). Protein is needed primarily to maintain your lean tissue; body fat doesn't require protein to maintain it. More protein won't hurt a healthy person, but there's no need to struggle to get some huge amount based on a heavy-for-your-height current weight.)

(You also see people here arguing for 0.8 grams per kilogram of body, and saying that those of us who say 0.8 per pound have all read the USDA/WHO guidelines incorrectly. No. Some of us target more protein than the minimums in those guidelines, believing more is needed by people who are trying to increase muscle/strength, who are in a calorie deficit, or who are aging.)

I treat my protein & fat goals as minimums, track fiber instead of sugar, and use carbs as the balancer to fill out my calorie goal after the protein/fat minimums are set.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    100 grams per day is a good amount if that's working for you and you don't have any medical issues with it.

Change your MFP goals to that rather than trying to conform to the MFP default.

This. It didn't take me long to tinker with my protein goals on MFP. It's set to minimum which means you likely will lose muscle mass quicker at that amount of protein. You want your body to burn fat for those extra calories not your muscle, so try to stay at .8g/lb or so of our target weight. A lot of people, like myself, go to 1g/lb or higher per pound of target weight. I easily average probably 170g a day of protein or more. Nothing wrong with it.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    MFP kinda has odd macro percentages in my opinion. There is a way to customize your diary, but you'll have to forfit the suggested carb intake in order to get accurate protein readings. A lot of people suggest .5 - 1g protein x lb. of bodyweight. I make my goal around 115g of protein and if you look at my diary you'll see the protein goal is accurate, but it allows for 0 carbs, which is not doable for my diet. Basically, get numbers in your head that you feel will suit your dietary needs and just use MFP as a tracker instead of following the percentages suggested.

109g of fat daily? you take in almost as much fat as you do protein?

Nooo, MFP just doesn't allow you to fully customize your diary. That was my point. I have it set to whatever my diary says, but my goals are all written down in my personal log. I just use MFP to track it easier.

I aim for 115g protein, 60g fat and less than 100g carbs. Plus under 40g sugar.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    it doesn't allow you to fully customize your diary...what the heck are you talking about...

even with the free plan - you can set percentages, change your calorie counts etc - if you go for the premium you can have different goals for different days etc
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Nooo, MFP just doesn't allow you to fully customize your diary. That was my point. I have it set to whatever my diary says, but my goals are all written down in my personal log. I just use MFP to track it easier.

you have set your diary to show 0 carbs..109fat and 105 protein...which is all in your setup.

You can custom your diary better than you have...
  • peaceout_aly
    Options

you have set your diary to show 0 carbs..109fat and 105 protein...which is all in your setup.

I'll have to try again, maybe they updated it since. I did that over a year and a half ago. Not sure why it matters if I'm just using MFP to "log" and not following the details that it provides...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I'll have to try again, maybe they updated it since. I did that over a year and a half ago. Not sure why it matters if I'm just using MFP to "log" and not following the details that it provides...

I don't even log so you are still a step ahead of me! ;):p
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I don't even log so you are still a step ahead of me! ;):p

I ended up figuring out how to get it closer to my actual goals, thanks @SezxyStef
    It's still not spot on but at least it's a tad bit closer so people can gauge my diary a little easier!