Low Carb Day 1

Options
Today is my first day! What are you eating? Can I really lose weight on low carbs and high fat? I'd love to join the low carb community.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you eat at a calorie deficit just like any other macro combinations.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yes, as long as you eat at a calorie deficit just like any other macro combinations.

This^

Low carb is helpful for people with certain medical issues. If you don't have medical issues you could eat your "regular" foods and lose weight. Either way you need to stay accountable. Calories in vs. calories out are ALWAYS the key to weight loss.

Finding other low carbers is best in a Group setting - not on the general forums.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Shelly2swim
    Shelly2swim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this tip and I just requested to join that group . I'm not familiar how the groups work on MFP. Haven't found something I can stick with and in the past have had success on a low carb diet. My sister has also done it on the past! I'm tired of gaining..and think this may be the best path to some weight loss for a change!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this tip and I just requested to join that group . I'm not familiar how the groups work on MFP. Haven't found something I can stick with and in the past have had success on a low carb diet. My sister has also done it on the past! I'm tired of gaining..and think this may be the best path to some weight loss for a change!

Consider that weight loss is just the 1st step. I've had "success" at losing weight using a number of different methods. The problem is I never addressed step 2: keeping the weight off. Will low carb give you tools needed to keep the weight off? Will you be low carbing forever, or a few days a week? If yes, then you won't have to repeat step one again.

Whatever method......figure out a maintenance strategy before you get there.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on any diet so long as you are in a calorie deficit. I don't personally like the low carb diet, but my sister has lost a lot of weight on it and it helps her stick to her calorie goals.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Consider that weight loss is just the 1st step. I've had "success" at losing weight using a number of different methods. The problem is I never addressed step 2: keeping the weight off. Will low carb give you tools needed to keep the weight off? Will you be low carbing forever, or a few days a week? If yes, then you won't have to repeat step one again.

Whatever method......figure out a maintenance strategy before you get there.

This. The biggest part of "success" is the ability to keep the weight off. Be sure to choose an eating plan you can stick with for the long run.
  • Shelly2swim
    Shelly2swim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great advice!