Hypothyroid and FRUSTRATED!!

Options
Hi all!

I'm 46, and was diagnosed hypothyroid roughly 5-6 years ago. As this goes on, I find it harder and harder to eat healthy. I'm constantly hungry, tired, major brain fog, moody/depressed at times, the list goes on. I've been able to lose weight once since the diagnosis, but ended up gaining almost all of it back. I know what I SHOULD do, but it's like my brain won't let me.

Would love to hear from others with this condition and how you deal with weight loss, etc. I just re-started MFP for the 4th time yesterday, and could use motivation, support, ideas, etc. I found that having friends to motivate and cheer me on really helped (I of course offer the same support/motivation to others!) Feel free to friend me!

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in my mid 20's and have been on Synthroid for years. I had most of the same symptoms that you mentioned. However, about 5 years ago I was diagnosed with celiac's disease and have been on a Gluten free diet since then. All of those symptoms disappeared after my body adjusted to being on a gluten free diet. I tried going back to eating regular foods once and got sick so from now on I'm sticking to being gluten free. You should get tested and see if you have a sensitivity to gluten. Also get your thyroid levels checked to make sure that they are within normal limits.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi mary70! When was the last time you got your thyroid levels checked?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you've been hypothyroid for that long -- 8 years for me -- you probably know what you should be doing, but given that you're experiencing some of the classic symptoms I feel like I ought to ask. Please don't be offended if this is all basic, elementary stuff to you.

You're taking your replacement hormone as prescribed? Never miss a dose? You're taking it correctly, on an empty stomach and then waiting at least a half hour before eating anything? If you take a nutritional supplement, particularly one containing calcium, you're waiting at least three hours? You're getting your hormone levels checked regularly, and they're in the normal range?

Motivation can help, but if your body is betraying you by not performing as it should no matter what, weight loss and healthy living can be an order of magnitude more difficult than necessary.

These can also be symptoms of clinical depression. If your hypothyroidism is well-managed and your hormone levels are normal, it might help to talk to someone.

Sorry that I'm not much of a cheerleader. The way my brain works, I like to look for practical solutions to problems. I understand that's not always the right answer though.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What was you last TSH level? What is your full thyroid panel?

There is nothing dramatically different about having hypothyroidism and losing weight. This impacts your BMR/REE by about 5%.

I've been sans thyroid gland since 2000. I ended up putting on about 70 lbs over 14 years due to a transition from a high active military job to a cushy civilian life. I never tracked my caloric intake and once I joined MFP, just stuck within my caloric budget. I ended up losing ~60lbs over a year doing this.
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    If you've been hypothyroid for that long -- 8 years for me -- you probably know what you should be doing, but given that you're experiencing some of the classic symptoms I feel like I ought to ask. Please don't be offended if this is all basic, elementary stuff to you.

You're taking your replacement hormone as prescribed? Never miss a dose? You're taking it correctly, on an empty stomach and then waiting at least a half hour before eating anything? If you take a nutritional supplement, particularly one containing calcium, you're waiting at least three hours? You're getting your hormone levels checked regularly, and they're in the normal range?

Motivation can help, but if your body is betraying you by not performing as it should no matter what, weight loss and healthy living can be an order of magnitude more difficult than necessary.

These can also be symptoms of clinical depression. If your hypothyroidism is well-managed and your hormone levels are normal, it might help to talk to someone.

Sorry that I'm not much of a cheerleader. The way my brain works, I like to look for practical solutions to problems. I understand that's not always the right answer though.

I may have to check that for myself because I was taking everything together.
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm like @FitPhillygirl I've had hypothyroid for a couple of years and on a low dose of Synthroid. Weight loss would come and go for me until my stomach started bothering me in the Summer of 2015. I tested negative for Celiac's disease, wheat sensitivity/intolerance and gluten intolerance/sensitivity. My doctor still knew something was wrong and wanted me to read the book "Wheat Belly". I did read it and cut back a lot on carbs and started losing weight, I'm not totally gluten/carb free (b/c not everything hurts my stomach) but I'm careful.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo too. Took meds in my 20s and now on them again for the last few years. Feel free to add me. I tend to agree with Ccsernica. I had weight gain earlier this year and talked to my primary who confronted me with my diet, exercise, stress levels, sleep and wouldn't let me blame my thyroid and he was right.
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you have been for a blood test and your levels are where they should be, you should not have any symptoms from hypothyroidism.

Maybe it's something else causing these issues? Check with your doctor.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    mary70 wrote: »
    Hi all!

I'm 46, and was diagnosed hypothyroid roughly 5-6 years ago. As this goes on, I find it harder and harder to eat healthy. I'm constantly hungry, tired, major brain fog, moody/depressed at times, the list goes on. I've been able to lose weight once since the diagnosis, but ended up gaining almost all of it back. I know what I SHOULD do, but it's like my brain won't let me.

Would love to hear from others with this condition and how you deal with weight loss, etc. I just re-started MFP for the 4th time yesterday, and could use motivation, support, ideas, etc. I found that having friends to motivate and cheer me on really helped (I of course offer the same support/motivation to others!) Feel free to friend me!

I'm also hypo, 23 and diagnosed and on medication for almost 10 years now. I successfully lost over 60 lbs a few years ago, but have since gained and lost back and forth and been kind of stuck since then. Personally I don't feel this has much, if anything, to do with being hypo though. I was raised with poor eating habits, and it's been hard to try to break those bad habits and build new ones. I got in the habit of binge eating daily, and it can be very hard to break that.. I think everyone, hypo or not, who embarks on a weightloss journey struggles with similar things though.
    It was very hard for me to transition after initially losing the weight and being in a deficit for several months, to my new "normal" eating. I chose to go back to the way I had always eaten, and my body weight began to reflect that. I ate too much, I gained weight again. Like myself, you've lost weight since your diagnosis. So we know we can do it. Since gaining my weight back I've realized that losing is the easy part, making lasting changes to keep it off is what's hard. Unfortunately I don't really have any great advice, as I'm still struggling to find the right balance myself. But I know after working on it for a few years now, I'm getting closer. Focusing on several meals of whole foods throughout the day has been a big help to me. Lots of protein and veggies. I've learned to really like beans and sweet potatoes, which I find filling and satisfying. But I'm still a work in progress for sure.
  • Etretat77
    Etretat77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and hypo for the past 8 years. I had my last kid 4 years ago and for years could not lose the weight when it was so easy when I was in my 30s. My thyroid number were in the normal range but I was always tired, lacking energy even when rested, had brain fog, my stomach was often bloated, sometimes I even had nausea and acid reflux even though I was not eating a lot of processed fatty foods. A year ago I went to my doctor who told me to cut all reflux prone foods for about a month (lemon, tomatoes, mint, coffee, sparkling water and the toughest...dark chocolate!). Reflux improved but I still felt bloated. I decided to cut gluten from my diet. After 3 months, all the symptoms were gone and my energy was way up! That was the turning point for me. At last something was working! I used MFP to track how many calories I was eating in a day. I realized that I was gaining weight when eating more than 1500 calories a day. I was shocked and knew I had to kick my metabolism up. I started walking more and doing a few online exercise videos a week (nothing crazy, just steady). That's when I started losing the weight. I also added more vegetables and lean proteins to my diet and lowered my carb consumption (MFP was great for that). I lost 15 pounds over the past 6 months. That would never have happened if I had not cut gluten, carbs and pushed myself to exercise more. I slowly reintroduced some gluten foods (bread mostly ... and cake!) along with some reflux causing food (who can live without chocolate?!). I know I have to be careful not to eat to much of these but I don't deprive myself. I just eat a smaller piece than before unless it is a special occasion. In that case I adjust back the next day. The other thing that helped is my best friend joining the "let's get back in shape wagon". Loosing weight while hypo is not easy. It is tough to understand unless you are living it. I thought it was not possible... but it is. Try to reduce gluten and carbs, eat more veggies and protein and see how you feel after a few weeks. Remember that it is not a race. It is more about doing things that make you feel better. And the best thing I got for Christmas was a Fitbit to get my metabolism moving. It works! Good luck, you can do it!
  • sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have the same classic symptoms since having a thyroidectomy plus iron deficiency. I have managed to lose 100lbs over the last 3 years but each pound was/is a struggle. As someone else mentioned have you had your numbers checked lately and taking the medicine in the correct manor. For me, it now means I take my thyroid medicine before bed which is 2 1/2 hours after my last meal because of the the iron supplement I take 3x day and there needs to be 4 hours between the iron supplement and my levothyroxine.