Pain over hip bones during ab work

Options
Atlantique
Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
I really hadn't been doing much ab work outside of yoga classes until recently. Now that I've lost weight, I'm finding that even laying on a mat, my hip bones press into the floor enough to be painful when doing ab exercises on my back. I'm not looking to add fat back to them, but is there a way to maybe build some muscle over them for a bit more cushioning?

Replies

• daviesd520
    Options
    I had that problem and found out it was my bursa. My hip and my back hurt and it was more of an ache than a hurt. A chiropractor fixed mine. Sometimes ibuprofen helps.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I had that problem and found out it was my bursa. My hip and my back hurt and it was more of an ache than a hurt. A chiropractor fixed mine. Sometimes ibuprofen helps.

It's not a joint problem, it's literally that there's no cushioning over the top of the hip bones and they press into the floor.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem when I'm on my side on a mat in the gym. It's really noticeably painful over just the hipbone area. My BMI is 23.2 or so and there's plenty of jiggle left in my *kitten* so I don't really understand why it's so bad. Thinner girls than me don't seem to have this problem. Anyone got any ideas?
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Maybe fold up or roll up a towel and put it under the area for extra padding? I have to do this sometimes for certain exercises.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Maybe fold up or roll up a towel and put it under the area for extra padding? I have to do this sometimes for certain exercises.

Yeah I think I'm going to have to do this but I still don't know why really skinny girls at my gym don't seem to have this problem. Maybe they have more padding on the side but a flatter butt?