How to get big for GIRLS?

Options
I am a puny human, about 90-93 lbs having no mass eating about 2700-3500 calories. No matter what I do, can't seem to gain much. Even in holidays, I gained about 5lbs and lost it once I started my training. It is daunting to eat about this much unless it's unhealthy but once I eat unhealthy, my performance gets worse and I feel bloated and mostly sick.

What a girl to do to get big?

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    You've got some work to do. I'm sure @sardelsa or one of the other body builder women will be in here shortly :)
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    lol that was fast! :D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    You've got some work to do. I'm sure @sardelsa or one of the other body builder women will be in here shortly :)

:D:D I just posted as I saw that :p
  • lauamy96
    lauamy96 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The same way guys do - eat calories more than you burn. You probably aren't eating as many calories as you think you are. I thought I ate approx 2500 calories a day until I started tracking and weighing food, and realized that I only ate 1600 calories a day. Oops
  • lauamy96
    Options
    Also, make sure as you gain weight, you up your calorie intake, because you'll be burning more. for the same activities
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is a typical day for me,
    Breakfast : 10 medium bananas + 3 dates + 1tsp cinnamon
    Mid morning snack : 1 mango (about 350g)
    Lunch : 2 papayas + 1/4th of a watermelon
    Evening snack : 4/5 tangerines + 500gm grapes
    Dinner : 1/2 cup (dry) white rice + sriracha + 2 cup boiled/steamed veggies

Training : Recently I have started Stronglift 5*5 (It has been only a week), I cycle for about an hour in the morning, and my basic training includes progressive calisthenics and parkour which takes about 2 to 3 hours daily. Other than that, I sit and animate the entire day and I sleep about 5 hours every day.
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I see a lot of carbs.. no protein or fat there. While carbs are super important on a bulk, so are the other macronutrients. I try to at least aim for 0.8g protein per lb bodyweight and 0.3-0.45g fat per lb. Then fill the rest with carbs. You are likely filling up on water and fiber from all the fruit so maybe need to balance your diet a bit better.

Not sure what dietary restrictions you have but protein sources like tofu, legumes, beans, seitan, whole grains, quinoa, freekeh, hempseed, chia, etc. Or a vegan protein supplement if you need

Fats: nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocado, oils (olive, coconut), coconut milk etc.

It's just that I am a super lazy person when it comes to cooking. And fruits are basically something you buy and eat whenever you are hungry. Sometimes I feel lazy just to peel and slice the mangoes, so I tend to go for the fruits like bananas where I just have to peel it. Must take protein in consideration.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of carbs.. no protein or fat there. While carbs are super important on a bulk, so are the other macronutrients. I try to at least aim for 0.8g protein per lb bodyweight and 0.3-0.45g fat per lb. Then fill the rest with carbs. You are likely filling up on water and fiber from all the fruit so maybe need to balance your diet a bit better.

Not sure what dietary restrictions you have but protein sources like tofu, legumes, beans, seitan, whole grains, quinoa, freekeh, hempseed, chia, etc. Or a vegan protein supplement if you need

Fats: nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocado, oils (olive, coconut), coconut milk etc.

It's just that I am a super lazy person when it comes to cooking. And fruits are basically something you buy and eat whenever you are hungry. Sometimes I feel lazy just to peel and slice the mangoes, so I tend to go for the fruits like bananas where I just have to peel it. Must take protein in consideration.

Oh I see.. I wasn't sure if you were doing raw till 4 or something but best advice I can give you is meal prep! I am a busy mom so believe me I know the feeling of being too lazy to eat. I even made meals and portioned them out.. You can do like a coconut Thai dish (lots of cals from the coconut milk) with veggies then freeze it in portions and you can serve it over rice or noodles. Or if you are on the go.. homemade granola is great, or a smoothie with the protein powder and nut butters etc.
  • lauamy96
    edited January 2017
    Options

Training : Recently I have started Stronglift 5*5 (It has been only a week), I cycle for about an hour in the morning, and my basic training includes progressive calisthenics and parkour which takes about 2 to 3 hours daily. Other than that, I sit and animate the entire day and I sleep about 5 hours every day.

You need fat and protein in your diet.... it's too high in sugar and carbs.

Also 10 bananas??? I hope that is a typo.
    Instead of 10 bananas, try a banana with some PB and some eggs... for example.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I don't think this is anywhere near 2700 calories. Measure your liquids and weigh your solids and semi-solids.

ETA: It looks like your training (2-3 hours/day minimum) would burn a lot of calories as well. I would recommend trying to track those exercise calories and eating them back. With all the training (weights, cycling, calisthenics, parkour) you're doing daily I'm not sure how you have any energy at all given the sample meal you posted. I'd be completely drained.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

why ten bananas????

how many calories a day is that/
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Like others said, accurate measuring of food. Many women forget about enough protein, depending on your height but I'd say 100-125 grams. LIFT at least 5 days a week, you only need 1 hour of lifting a day to make those gains if you have a good lifting program.
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2017
    Options

scrambled eggs and a bagel do not take that long to cook ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    you need the following to get big and this advice applies to men and woman

1. eat in a calorie surplus of 250 to 500 calories per day.
    2. get on a structured lifting program with progressive overload built in.
    3. make sure that you meet your macro requirements.
    4. make sure that you get adequate nutrition, sleep, and hydration.
    5. take beginning measurements and continue to do so every three to four weeks.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    You need to eat MORE. Even if it means eating the foods you deem as "unhealthy". Your body will Thankyou for the change!!! Everything changes when you reach a healthy weight...your sleep, your mood, your hair..nails..skin....
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    OP, it seems like the root of your issue comes from your lack of preparing meals. I'm not after nearly the same number of calories, but here's some ideas for quick-prep foods with minimal cleaning:
    -Protein shakes made with milk. You can blend in fruit if you want, or if cleaning a blender is a PITA for you, eat it on the side. Or protein bars, but protein shakes are probably more economical and easier to consume more calories with.
    -Sandwiches. Go heavy on spreads like peanut butter and mayo.
    -Not sure if you're vegetarian/vegan? My grocery store usually has rotisserie chicken already cooked, get one of those and eat off it for a couple of days.
    -Pick one day a week and cook two big meals, then portion them out into individual servings. Only one day of cooking and cleaning, the rest of the week you're just reheating and eating.
    -Get a crockpot. Chop up a couple of things, dump it all in, let it slow cook the rest of the day. Buy the liners so you don't have to scrub the crockpot later.
    -Frozen meals.
    -Edamame - high in protein, quick to prepare.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The typical day is estimated at 2300 calories. Woefully deficient in protein, fat and iron.

I included it all under "breakfast" for my own convenience.

xp6kuqj7vayc.jpg