Healthy Condiments

Options
Any suggestions on healthy condiments I can put on my bunless burger!?

Replies

• roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Veggies and mustard
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can eat any condiment you like as long as it is within your calorie goals. I eat mayo, mustard, horseradish cream, whatever. Just count the calories and you will be a-okay.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Salsa, guac, and pepperjack cheese.

Edited to add: Oh, and BACON!!
  • madelinecamille
    madelinecamille Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I like any kind of salsa, homemade tzatziki, pesto, or just plain ketchup and mayo. Just make sure to count/weigh the calories.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    hot sauce!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Healthy in what sense? I'm not being flippant, that word means different things to different people.

If you mean low calorie, ketchup and mustard are low in calories. Mayo is not. If I want mayo, I either add a small amount, or I mix it with yoghurt to cut the calories.

Low fat dressings and mayo substitutes can still be high in calories - check the label.

Salsa is another low calorie option (but again, check the label for calories).
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You can eat any condiment you like as long as it is within your calorie goals. I eat mayo, mustard, horseradish cream, whatever. Just count the calories and you will be a-okay.

This. Weigh each ingredient and see if it fits.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Cheese and bacon. But probably not what you were looking for :)

Wife is gluten intolerant so we just don't do buns anymore. But cheese bacon and something spicy (salsa, hp sauce) are needed for me (she can't do cheese either). Otherwise it is too bland.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love grilled cubanelle peppers on my burgers, no condiments needed. Season the raw burger w/ chili powder before cooking. So good.
  • FatChickToNotSoFatChick
    FatChickToNotSoFatChick Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have a bottle of Whataburger spicy ketchup and use it with every burger, it's only 20 calories per serving and I weigh it out on the food scale :) so yummy.
    Edit: also love to add red pepper flakes for a kick in flavor
  • RAxB
    RAxB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like caramelized onions! Adds lots of flavor with low calories and carbs.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Assuming we are aiming for low cal and/or low fat I lean mustards, salsa, ketchup in small amounts, vinegar, vinegarettes
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Mustard and salsa can be very low calorie
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Everybody is like weigh it and if it fits....I got news for ya. Mayo is never going to fit but mustard and hot sauce alway will. Yes I know we can all budget calories but I try to avoid burning up the chart with something that I can find a calorie free replacement for. I can make a big Mac and fries fit but the rest of the day is gonna suck. My favorite that doesn't fit well is guacamole but I do it anyway.
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Only ones I would consider really decent from a health perspective is mustard and salsa... not together that sounds gross lol. A lot of other condiments just add too much sugar.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Decide what healthy means. Find foods that fit those criteria. Eat those foods.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Small amounts of mayo can absolutely fit. But it is a good idea to get really familiar with how many calories are in it, it's one of these sneaky ingredients that packs FAR more calories than most people realise.

I still remember the shock I got when I realised that mayo is basically as calorie dense as butter, and that my lovely coronation chicken rolls might as well be butter sandwiches as far as the calories were concerned.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jaymeshaye wrote: »
    Any suggestions on healthy condiments I can put on my bunless burger!?

Things you like, that you're not allergic to, that fit in your calories. Personally I like ketchup/mustard/pickle & cheese on a burger. Sometimes bacon, rarely mayo. But in the right combination, mayo works but then I would not do ketchup/mustard.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Everybody is like weigh it and if it fits....I got news for ya. Mayo is never going to fit but mustard and hot sauce alway will. Yes I know we can all budget calories but I try to avoid burning up the chart with something that I can find a calorie free replacement for. I can make a big Mac and fries fit but the rest of the day is gonna suck. My favorite that doesn't fit well is guacamole but I do it anyway.

You need to start making real mayonnaise. It's basically just an egg yolk and (primarily) olive oil, plus a scant amount of lemon juice, salt and dijon. I can budget that awesomeness all day long (basically 100 cal for a T).

Don't get me started on hollandaise. Mmmm...condiments.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    farrell16 wrote: »
    Only ones I would consider really decent from a health perspective is mustard and salsa... not together that sounds gross lol. A lot of other condiments just add too much sugar.

My Heinz ketchup has zero added sugar...all of the sugar is naturally occuring 'cuz tomatoes...in most cases added sugar is also pretty minimal for condiments...but for some reason people get all worked up about a dollop of ketchup...bizarre.