Options
2»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    farrell16 wrote: »
    Only ones I would consider really decent from a health perspective is mustard and salsa... not together that sounds gross lol. A lot of other condiments just add too much sugar.

My Heinz ketchup has zero added sugar...all of the sugar is naturally occuring 'cuz tomatoes...in most cases added sugar is also pretty minimal for condiments...but for some reason people get all worked up about a dollop of ketchup...bizarre.

Cuz sugar = debil. :devil:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that requires you to avoid certain ingredients? What are you looking for?

You can get low cal, low sugar, low sodium versions of condiments or just make your own. You can use smaller amounts of regular condiments.
    Salsa or hot sauce is pretty low calorie. Mustard is low calorie. Things like barbeque sauce, mayo may have more calories. Soy sauce can have a lot of sodium but not many calories.
    You might use Greek yogurt/tzatziki sauce.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Everybody is like weigh it and if it fits....I got news for ya. Mayo is never going to fit but mustard and hot sauce alway will. Yes I know we can all budget calories but I try to avoid burning up the chart with something that I can find a calorie free replacement for. I can make a big Mac and fries fit but the rest of the day is gonna suck. My favorite that doesn't fit well is guacamole but I do it anyway.

You need to start making real mayonnaise. It's basically just an egg yolk and (primarily) olive oil, plus a scant amount of lemon juice, salt and dijon. I can budget that awesomeness all day long (basically 100 cal for a T).

Don't get me started on hollandaise. Mmmm...condiments.

Mmm hollandaise... And bearnaise...
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Only ones I would consider really decent from a health perspective is mustard and salsa... not together that sounds gross lol. A lot of other condiments just add too much sugar.

My Heinz ketchup has zero added sugar...all of the sugar is naturally occuring 'cuz tomatoes...in most cases added sugar is also pretty minimal for condiments...but for some reason people get all worked up about a dollop of ketchup...bizarre.

Cuz sugar = debil. :devil:

Shhhh...don't let people know that de debbil is also in salsa!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Everybody is like weigh it and if it fits....I got news for ya. Mayo is never going to fit but mustard and hot sauce alway will. Yes I know we can all budget calories but I try to avoid burning up the chart with something that I can find a calorie free replacement for. I can make a big Mac and fries fit but the rest of the day is gonna suck. My favorite that doesn't fit well is guacamole but I do it anyway.

You need to start making real mayonnaise. It's basically just an egg yolk and (primarily) olive oil, plus a scant amount of lemon juice, salt and dijon. I can budget that awesomeness all day long (basically 100 cal for a T).

Don't get me started on hollandaise. Mmmm...condiments.

Mmm hollandaise... And bearnaise...

...aioli...

[daydreams off into the distance]
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    They aren't condiments, per se, but I like a 1/4 cup of side-dish things like cole slaw or pickled red cabbage on burgers. Taste, crunch, and juicyness are what I look for. (Cole slaw gets you the mayo taste, but with much less than a tablespoon.)
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hummus and hot sauce together MMMMM!!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Butter! Well just cook it with butter, and you'll be all set.
  • humpbackgirl
    humpbackgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i use vegan butter and mayo. also plain yellow mustard.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I fit mayo on my tuna salad, just no bread or crackers. And guacamole fits, but I put the taco meat and fixins on a bed of lettuce, can't fit in tortillas or taco shells. I can fit a quarter pounder with cheese (Big Mac = grossness), but I have to ditch the bun and French fries (and get an unsweetened beverage). I prioritize fat over carbs, so I can fit in lots of nice, delicious, fatty things. Fats (as in pure fats like oils and butter) are about 100 cal per tbsp (appx). You can't fit in 100 calories of something you really want? You'll have to give up something else to do it, perhaps, but OP already said her burger was bunless. There's around 120 calories right there! If you can fit the bread, you can fit the mayo. Just maybe not both ;)

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Mustard and hot sauce are very low in calories. So are mushrooms. Ketchup is also fairly low. Pickles are low in calories (but high in salt). Mayo & cheese will add a lot of calories. Mayo is one of those ingredients that it's best to weigh - at 100 cal/Tbsp (some light versions are available at ~1/2 that) it's easy to underestimate by A LOT.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

That's because regular ketchup is only for peasants. That's why I use this fancy ketchup. You should make the switch if you want people to take you srsly. :lol:

1697968791_4a5593085b.jpg