Eating 5x Day Weirdness

Options
This is more of a poll than a search for advice.

I have been more of a coffee all day, real food after work type. I have to really make myself eat breakfast and lunch (food). I think all the coffee just killed me appetite until I felt a hunger pain.

So now that I've seen a dietician and have to eat 5 small meals per day, I feel like I'm starving between "meals."

So my question: Is anyone else out there going through this? Not really caring about food until being told to eat X amount of times.

I'm not sure if it's mental or if my small meals are too small or what. I feel like it's mental. Like now that I HAVE to eat it's constantly on my mind.

Replies

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Eating 5 smaller meals a day doesn't work for me. I think I tried six smaller meals a day (this was years ago I can't remember if it was five or six) And was starving.

Oddly enough I just eat three times a day now and don't have that problem. Very rarely do I want / need a snack.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Is there a specific reason why your dietician recommended that you eat five times a day?

I have never had good results with eating more frequently -- it just makes me more hungry.
  • lorainas5
    lorainas5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eating smaller meals is building up your metabolism which is why you feel hungry a lot faster in between meals!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's exactly why I do not eat multiple mini meals. I would be thinking about food all of the time. Better for me to have 3 main meals and one snack before bed.
  • sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are thirsty and not actually hungry. Try drinking more water throughout the day. When I get like this I drink a glass of water and wait 30 minutes and if I'm still hungry at this point I'll have a snack that includes some type of protein.
  • lorainas5
    Options
    Chef_barbell If it is not then please provide correct info.? Along with why it's not true.
  • lorainas5
    edited January 2017
    Options
    N/a
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I can't handle 5 small meals, as was recommended to me by my doctor a few years ago. I was always hungry and waiting until it was time to eat again. I gained more weight.

I now eat two larger meals within my calorie range (no breakfast - I'm not hungry then). Rarely ever have snacks. This won't work for everyone just like eating every two hours doesn't, but it is optimal for me.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    lorainas5 wrote: »
    Eating smaller meals is building up your metabolism which is why you feel hungry a lot faster in between meals!

This is baloney. ^^

And yes, for many people, small meals like this are an appetizer.
    Read about Intermittent Fasting, which is what you have been doing.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/

IF is a great way to save your calories for dinner...

There is a group here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals and a couple of snacks per day...I like doing that.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I personally do intermittent fasting. I eat one meal a day (dinner) and the rest of the day only have coffee or water. I do not find it hard to do. I don't feel hungry at all during the day so I don't eat. There are also people who do a shorter fasting period like 16:8 or 18:6 and only eat lunch and dinner or a snack and dinner. And I'm sure there's people out there that only eat breakfast and lunch or whatever else.

If you are meeting your calorie and macro goals and only eating once a day and don't feel deprived go for it. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything and therefore this work for me. I like to feel full and eating one meal a day (and often a small treat for dessert) works for me and I meet my goals.
  • avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason why your dietician recommended that you eat five times a day?

I have never had good results with eating more frequently -- it just makes me more hungry.

Because I literally have coffee in place of food all day. "That cup could have been your hummus & veggies. That cup could have been an orange..." With the way I exercise, I should be losing weight so she wants me to work on my metabolism naturally since I have no known disorders.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lorainas5 wrote: »

that is not how it works...