Protein ideas

Options
jen_092
jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
I'd like to fix my issue with meeting my daily protein goal. If you have some creative ideas for adding protein in meals or snacks I'd love to hear them. I think my main problem is just lack of knowledge. For example learning that broccoli and Quinoa each have high protein was a cool realization.

I'm sort of a difficult case, also... But could be worse! For meat I only eat turkey and chicken. I have an allergy to all nuts except peanuts & almonds. And, after looking at my budget, I can no longer afford to regularly buy supplements like Quest bars and protein shakes. Plus by not checking the label of a new flavor of Quest bar recently I ended up in the ER from an allergic reaction to pecans so I feel averse to those anyway. My nurse thought I was a dumby for risking eating any protein bar since nuts are often in them somewhere.

From reading other threads, I figure maybe I should just eat more dairy? Thanks for reading!

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat more chicken and Turkey.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You don't specifically mention if you exclude fish - but it can be an excellent source of both protein and healthy fats.

Eggs are reasonably cheap, roughly 7g per egg. Cottage cheese is about 12g per 1/2 cup. Milk is around 30g of protein per quart/liter ...

Just a few inexpensive ideas.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You can eat protein bars though you need to constantly read the ingredients. I don't think you mentioned beans, so many varieties - in soup and in turkey chili.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sprouted grains (in bread, pasta, cereal etc) usually have greater protein than non-sprouted versions.

Beans/legumes, quinoa (seeds, flakes, pasta, flour) are decent sources

If you make pancakes or baked goods, look in to alternative flours - many have more protein than normal wheat flour. They may require alternative recipes and not be the same as traditional versions, but often not too bad!

Eggs - a mix of whole eggs and whites if you can't afford the fat. Egg whites are basically just protein so bump up your intake easily

Dairy is great - you might have to go fat versions if you want to eat fat from elsewhere. Cheese (Parmesan is good), yoghurt (chobani is the highest protein we can get in aus), Quark, cottage cheese... You could eat as part of a meal (sweet or savoury) , or add to smoothies if you like them

I wouldn't rely on broccoli for your protein - you will get some from vegies, but not a huge amount. I personally can't stand the poster that goes around comparing beef to broccoli. It's comparing 100cals of each - 100cals of broccoli would be hard to stomach!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why do you eat only turkey and chicken for meat? Variety is good and offers different nutrients that we need. Do you eat fish and seafood? Eggs? Dairy? Lots of good protein sources come with a healthy dose of fat - if you regard fat goal as a minimum, it can be easier to get more protein.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    shrimp and egg whites are my go-to's when i need to increase my protein; also greek yoghurt
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    beans, lentils, grains.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Protein powder isn't expensive if it's replacing a meal, in fact it's quite cheap.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If you buy protein powders in larger quantities the price goes down. For instance, a 1.5lb or less tub of protein powder at my local retailer can easily cost between $18-$26. But if I wander over to Amazon.com, buy it in a 5lb bag or tub, I can get ON Nutrition Protein powder in many flavors for less than $60 delivered to my door. That much powder lasts me all month, where I was buying almost a full tub a week before.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    A cobb salad is a favorite protein power house for me: 3 cups of lettuce, 6 grape tomatoes, 6 oz grilled chicken, 1 oz cheese of choice (traditionally blue, but I sometimes sub whatever shredded cheese I have on hand), a hard boiled egg, 2 slices of bacon and 1/4 of an avocado. I usually eat with Litehouse yogurt ranch dressing or a homemade balsamic vinegarette. That's a pretty giant salad and comes in around 650 calories with 66 g of protein. Cut down on the amount of chicken or omit the bacon if the calorie count is higher than you want for a meal.

I also second protein powder as a cheap meal. Buy it on Amazon. Breakfast is a shake of banana, 1-1.5 scoops of protein powder, and 8 oz 2% milk. Sometimes I add a Tbsp. peanut butter. 350-400 calories and 29 g of protein.

Good snacks: 2oz deli ham and a slice of cheese, 4 oz Greek yogurt with berries and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup, 4 oz lowfat cottage cheese with grape tomatoes, hard boiled egg w/ grape tomatoes and 1/4 diced avocado and a splash of red wine vinegar, beef jerkey.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    cheese, beans, eggs, tofu, tempeh . . . and protein powders when you can get them cheap. I don't have a lot of brand loyalty when it comes to protein powders: I get the "closeout" and "half off brands" and keep 'em in the pantry!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    - more turkey and chicken
    - fish and shell fish (I'm big on cod and salmon as well as shrimp and as "meat" goes, this is my wife and I's primary)
    - Is there a reason you don't eat lean cuts of beef or pork?
    - Greek yogurt
    - cottage cheese
    - eggs and egg whites

Decent plant sources include:
    - oats
    - quinoa
    - lentils
    - legumes

What are your protein targets? Are you shooting for a high protein diet or just trying to get in the minimum requirements?
  • jen_092
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I think pre-logging will help me incorporate some of these foods as I try to learn how to cook better. I love all the ideas!

I'm trying to just hit the protein goal MFP gave me, which I understand is on the low end. The fact that I haven't been hitting it is no good. Eventually I'll want to add more, I think.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    A lot of the protein in my diet comes from yogurt, eggs/egg salad, tuna salad, all of which work well into snacks. Moreso than meat for me (Lean cuts of meat don't re-heat well in the microwave without sauces, so I tend to use fattier cuts in smaller portions divided into larger batches of food since I batch cook).
  • meeemy
    meeemy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm the same like u.
    I eat chicken n Turkey but no meat.
    I struggle 2 keep my protein up.
    This is what i usually eat 2 increase it:
    Scrambled eggs ( egg whites only)
    Canned tuna
    Yogurt ( 1.5 % fat)

And i eat chicken every day, which gets prett boring but is better than nothing :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary, and have a general thought vs. food ideas. What helped me (and looks like it would help you) is focusing on getting a decent amount of protein at every meal. For example, it's common for people to be low at breakfast and you are. Thinking of breakfasts that included protein helped me (and also make me more satisfied throughout the day). Adding something like low fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese or whatever you like could make it easier. If not, if you really love your current breakfasts, then I'd try to make up for it in other meals.

Then, just eat a somewhat larger portion of protein with lunch and dinner or add in a side that contributes some protein (low fat dairy works for me, an egg as a snack or side, legumes as a side, if you have a meatless meal like I see you sometimes do make sure you include something that provides protein like legumes (tofu or tempeh are especially high protein) or seitan -- grains have some but on their own not that much).

Basically if you largely don't get any in one major meal, it's much harder to get it in during the day, at least for me. That's especially true if you also tend to have a carb-heavy, protein-light lunch, like many sandwiches.

As for foods, my easy sources are seafood (fish or shellfish), if you eat it, and again low fat dairy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options
    Visit this thread (link below). Look at the spreadsheet it links to - it lists foods basically by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Find things on the list you like (and don't react badly to); eat more of them.

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

And a big +1 to @lemurcat12's advice a bit above, to include protein in each of your meals (and snacks, if any).
  • jen_092
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I peeked at your diary, and have a general thought vs. food ideas. What helped me (and looks like it would help you) is focusing on getting a decent amount of protein at every meal. For example, it's common for people to be low at breakfast and you are. Thinking of breakfasts that included protein helped me (and also make me more satisfied throughout the day). Adding something like low fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese or whatever you like could make it easier. If not, if you really love your current breakfasts, then I'd try to make up for it in other meals.

Then, just eat a somewhat larger portion of protein with lunch and dinner or add in a side that contributes some protein (low fat dairy works for me, an egg as a snack or side, legumes as a side, if you have a meatless meal like I see you sometimes do make sure you include something that provides protein like legumes (tofu or tempeh are especially high protein) or seitan -- grains have some but on their own not that much).

Basically if you largely don't get any in one major meal, it's much harder to get it in during the day, at least for me. That's especially true if you also tend to have a carb-heavy, protein-light lunch, like many sandwiches.

As for foods, my easy sources are seafood (fish or shellfish), if you eat it, and again low fat dairy.

Totally makes sense, thank you for taking the time and for the advice!
  • jen_092
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Visit this thread (link below). Look at the spreadsheet it links to - it lists foods basically by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Find things on the list you like (and don't react badly to); eat more of them.

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

And a big +1 to @lemurcat12's advice a bit above, to include protein in each of your meals (and snacks, if any).

Ahhh thank you so much! This is seriously perfect.