Getting rid of all of my big clothes!!

Options
duvs33
duvs33 Posts: 38 Member
edited December 2016 in Getting Started
Today I am going to wear my big clothes to party in. Believe me, I'm going to enjoy my clothes tonight. They have served their purpose. New Years Day I will throw most of them away. I know next year I won't need them. I am just 23 days into my weight loss, but I am determined to complete my journey by next year! Wish me luck everyone, I have a long road ahead.

Start: 273.4
Current: 266.8
Goal: 165
Height: 5'6
Clothes: 18, XL, 1X

Happy New Year!!

Replies

• BadApple2014
    BadApple2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!! In the same boat as you. Determined to meet my goals next year. You can do this!!!!!
  • duvs33
    Options
    Thanks for responding. I have thought about this, but most them are hand-me-downs. So I don't think I want to do that to someone else. :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Give them all to charity.
    Enjoy
  • duvs33
    Options
    Enjoy

As I said, most of my clothes are hand-me-downs. So I don't think I want to do that to someone else. If you have ever worn clothes that were handed down to you, then you know what I mean. Thanks for the suggestion.

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    duvs33 wrote: »
    Thanks for responding. I have thought about this, but most them are hand-me-downs. So I don't think I want to do that to someone else. :)

The disadvantaged - especially the homeless - don't care if they're hand-me-downs. I did some pro bono work for a homeless shelter a while back and they were extremely grateful for the donated clothes they received, regardless of the condition they were in. Extra layers are extremely important, especially for the homeless during the winter months. Just some food for thought...
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    As long as they are clean and in good condition, I vote for donate! I did it with mine.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If it makes YOU feel better to toss them, then I say into the trash they go.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I have went down about 4 sizes in a year and a half. I have given many clothes away to family and charity but I still have a lot. Some of my things are brand new with tags so I do want to throw them away or give them away. I am looking into stores that will buy them or people who want to buy them. I say whatever works, then go for it.
  • moni032000
    moni032000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Always a good feeling!!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    duvs33 wrote: »
    Enjoy

As I said, most of my clothes are hand-me-downs. So I don't think I want to do that to someone else. If you have ever worn clothes that were handed down to you, then you know what I mean. Thanks for the suggestion.

Even clothing that is unwearable can be donated. They are then bailed and sent overseas to third world countries where they can be made into other products, like rugs and such. Ask the recipient if they recycle the clothes. No need to toss them in the garbage. I still wear a lot of clothes from thrift stores having grown up doing that. There's no shame in doing that. That being said, good luck on your journey and congrats on your success so far. You've got this!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Good for you. I have went down about 4 sizes in a year and a half. I have given many clothes away to family and charity but I still have a lot. Some of my things are brand new with tags so I do want to throw them away or give them away. I am looking into stores that will buy them or people who want to buy them. I say whatever works, then go for it.

If they still have tags on them, then you'll probably have some luck selling them on eBay or via one of the apps listed in this link:

http://mashable.com/2013/09/03/clothes-resale/#yE9awbsK3iqN
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i donate all of mine but not till they consistently dont fit .

at this point, its about every 10 pounds.

and unless they are in bad condition, donate them. i buy almost all my clothes from thrift stores and they all end up back there.....
  • DianeRippere
    DianeRippere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So happy for you duvs33, I started about where you are and feel so great that I've kept with it, it's WORTH IT! I've lost 60 pounds and have had some fun with buying clothes at thrift shops in the sizes I don't plan to stay in long. I buy them, wear them for a couple of months and take them back when they're too big and get some smaller ones. It's been fun and not expensive to clothe myself all the way down. I've got about 15 pounds to go and am doing it slowly for health reasons now. About the clothes, toss 'em, donate 'em, just don't keep them. I've gotten sloppy with my food a few times lately through the holidays and have thought about all the bigger clothes I'd need if I don't take it easy. Just a little tool but it works for me! ~Wishing you continued success!~
  • duvs33
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your support and suggestions! Down 7.6lbs! The holidays sort of took a toll, but I am still going. Take care everyone! :)
  • AvaWander
    AvaWander Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love your positive attitude and determination. You have a long road ahead but when you reach your GW it will be so worth it!