Water weight

Options
I started on the 31st of making sure I drank 8 cups a day some even more, and cutting down my food then 3 days in I got mfp and started logging what I eat. Anyway.... I heard if you drink enough water you lose 5kg of water weight and it's been a week so there's no change. Is it a theory?

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Drinking a good amount of water will help flush excess water retention, assuming you are retaining water in the first place. If you aren't retaining much water, you don't have much to flush out, so you likely won't see much change. Cutting carbs and reducing sodium also reduces water retention, but... who cares? It's just water. I imagine you are more interested in fat loss? That will only happen over time, with a calorie deficit.
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It can take more than a week, just be patient.
    It is true that you can loose water weight by drinking more water. How much is dependant on your body and if you were storing any water in the first place.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose water weight, you need to lose fat.
  • mumtum25
    mumtum25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Having a couple of teaspoons of Organic Apple cider vinegar in water once a day in the morning can help detox the body and help flush water retention and aid weight loss. FYI add slices of lemon to it makes it takes much better.
  • cydnee33
    cydnee33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    mumtum25 wrote: »
    Having a couple of teaspoons of Organic Apple cider vinegar in water once a day in the morning can help detox the body and help flush water retention and aid weight loss. FYI add slices of lemon to it makes it takes much better.

Weird.... i have a liver and lymphatic system to detox my body.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mumtum25 wrote: »

What exactly does it "detox", and how does it do it?
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The water loss may not happen if your calories in are similar to calories out. The water is a byproduct of the body burning protein (including muscle) for energy. You also lose a lot of glycogen, a medium-term storage method for energy. If you aren't getting much energy in, the glycogen storage stays empty and the body reduces the amount of empty glycogen stored.