Someone discouraged me.

Options
Fatvaporizer
Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I was talking about how I had been working out consistently trying to lose weight, along with cutting back on what I ate/dieting, and the person started this whole lecture about how exercise is useless and that only watching what you eat matters to lose weight. So I said, so you're saying cardio and all that is useless to lose weight, what's the point of gyms and such? He was like people just want to make money.

I then pointed out that I actually did drop a lot of pounds from consistent exercise and diet over time. And he said well, that's all just because of your diet, and tried convincing me not to exercise anymore, but instead just diet and do zero cardio/workouts. I got a bit angry at this point as it seemed like he just said all the months of working out didn't contribute to any weight loss, and it was just my diet/eating less.

I concluded and asked him where he got his information from and he said a few videos on YouTube say exercise does not make you lose weight and it all depends on diet alone.

What's your take on this? I found it discouraging and somewhat felt I was being sabotaged of my weight loss. Thanks for your feedback and I apologize if this thread comes off a bit ranty.

PS: No offense but this person himself was trying to lose weight but always said he had no time to 'work out.'

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Keep it up, you're doing great!

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Paralysed people can still eat less calories than their body burns to live, and lose fat.

Some people gain weight running marathons. BUT, they would get to eat a HUGE amount more than a non-marathoner before gaining an ounce.

I run and walk a lot. This earns me lots more lovely calories to eat. I'd feel sorry for your friend, but he's not worth bothering about.

Good luck, and well done!
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Exercise has loads of benefits, but strictly speaking you don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. A lot of people say that weight loss is 20% exercise and 80% diet. That being said, body recomp ia probably mostly reliant on exercise . Ive heard a lot of people say similar things about the cardio . I think that like other posters have said, cardio (or other exercise for that matter) helps on the Calories Out part of CICO. And exercise (esp cardio) is important for cardiovascular health etc. What good is it to be skinny but unhealthy right ? So keep on doing what you are doing.

For myself, I actually found it really helpful to realize how much more important diet is than exercise in weight loss because I could spend a lot of time and effort working out, and easily ruin the weight loss effects just by not understanding the import of how I eat. Now I focus on eating nutrituous food and staying under my calorie goal and exercise is a 'bonus' towards toning, cardiovascular health, etc. It also helps keep me on track so that if I don't get to a workout, I don't end up throwing in the towel and eating badly too. Maybe your friend was a little like me that way . (Not that that means he should discourage you from something that is obviously working for you). I've noticed that, in general, if people find something that works for them, they think EVERYONE MUST do it their way. But there are a lot of paths to the same goal so if you found one you like, then just keep going!
  • CourtneyAlonzo
    CourtneyAlonzo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Obviously what he's saying isn't true. More often than not dieting is more effective than exercising but that doesn't mean you don't need to do it. Exercise boosts your mood and metabolism and has endless health benefits. Personally I feel better if I eat an extra 300 calories and burn an extra 300 calories than if I just don't eat it to begin with, even if technically speaking the numbers are the same. That guy's probably just a a jerk, don't let the negativity get under your skin.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    2 months ago a trainer I meet with once a month, tried to get me on the core trainer and I couldn't do one rep.

2 months later after the other core exercises stopped working. I decided to get on the Core trainer and could do four reps. Now I'm up to seven and using a four pound ball with a wall sit.

I find I'm digesting faster and the more muscles you have, the easier it is to burn fat.

Results speak for themselves. It's his own fault for not finding time to exercise. Don't let it get you down.

Keep going and ignore the other guys complaints.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Of course exercise can be a means to help with weight loss.

Also, it's independently good for you and will likely result in you looking better when you'd lost the weight (and personally I think it's very important to keep up now I'm a healthy weight). So telling you not to exercise is ridiculous.

Your friend is wrong.

But so what? Why would that make you feel discouraged?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    well, he is right and not.

in order to lose weight, all you NEED is a calorie deficit.

Now, the healthiest way to achieve that is through diet AND exercise. the exercise contributes to overall fitness- blood pressure, cardiovascular health, muscle retention, etc. And assists in a deficit, allowing you to eat slightly more (ideally, more nutrient dense foods), or to squeeze in food or drinks that might not be as easy to do so, if creating a deficit through diet alone.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So I was talking about how I had been working out consistently trying to lose weight, along with cutting back on what I ate/dieting, and the person started this whole lecture about how exercise is useless and that only watching what you eat matters to lose weight. So I said, so you're saying cardio and all that is useless to lose weight, what's the point of gyms and such? He was like people just want to make money.

I then pointed out that I actually did drop a lot of pounds from consistent exercise and diet over time. And he said well, that's all just because of your diet, and tried convincing me not to exercise anymore, but instead just diet and do zero cardio/workouts. I got a bit angry at this point as it seemed like he just said all the months of working out didn't contribute to any weight loss, and it was just my diet/eating less.

I concluded and asked him where he got his information from and he said a few videos on YouTube say exercise does not make you lose weight and it all depends on diet alone.

What's your take on this? I found it discouraging and somewhat felt I was being sabotaged of my weight loss. Thanks for your feedback and I apologize if this thread comes off a bit ranty.

PS: No offense but this person himself was trying to lose weight but always said he had no time to 'work out.'

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but he is right. You can exercise all you want, but if you aren't eating in a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight. Exercise has its benefits, but not needed to lose weight.