Bulking and lowering fat at the same time

Options
So my coach just added some carbs to my diet since I'm trying a bulk, but wants to lower my body fat %3! He just said to do HITT for 20 mins 3 times per week. I don't think is possible but he swears on it. How can I eat more but lower my body fat ? Who am I superman ???? Opinions !?

Replies

• atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    That's just not possible from anything I've read. Excess calories will always result in at least some of them being converted to fat, that's the entire premise behind why we gain weight in the first place. If he's wanting you to add HIIT to your routine, it could be to dip you into a calorie deficit with slow fat loss in which case you aren't really bulking anymore, more of a recomp than anything
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with: that ain't happening.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Seconded.

How do these people become coaches/trainers???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    So my coach just added some carbs to my diet since I'm trying a bulk, but wants to lower my body fat %3! He just said to do HITT for 20 mins 3 times per week. I don't think is possible but he swears on it. How can I eat more but lower my body fat ? Who am I superman ???? Opinions !?
    Lol, it's possible with some PED's. Dude's living on broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Guys. We're missing some baseline numbers here. Technically, if she's at a deficit and he raises calories, she can still lose by eating more. Bulking may not be happening, but weight loss while eating more is certainly possible... if the numbers are right.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Guys. We're missing some baseline numbers here. Technically, if she's at a deficit and he raises calories, she can still lose by eating more. Bulking may not be happening, but weight loss while eating more is certainly possible... if the numbers are right.

She said she's currently bulking. That means she's already in a surplus. She can't lose weight while in a caloric surplus.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Dano74 wrote: »

She said she's currently bulking. That means she's already in a surplus.

Details and reading comprehension. Pffft.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Time to up the tren.
  • Jokerz9
    Jokerz9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

You can do it, its possible to stay lean while bulking, your coach want you to clean bulk, which means gain muscle mass not fats. Its possible
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like an attempt at a recomp to me, but you definitely can't bulk and lower body fat % at the same time.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    Jokerz9 wrote: »

You can do it, its possible to stay lean while bulking, your coach want you to clean bulk, which means gain muscle mass not fats. Its possible

No it's not. A calorie surplus will results in weight gain which will be a combination of food, water, muscle and fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

And we have a winner. Or your coach is trying to work a recomp.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    My opinion, fire your coach.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Was just going to say - possible, if your regimen includes some *ahem* "help."
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You know, you really shouldn't hop on these forums and second guess your coach. You are paying him to give you advice, and anytime you jump on a forum like this, people are going to cause you to second guess what you've been told. Just follow his advice. Time will tell. I've competed in 2 figure comps and finished top 3 in both. There were times when I was uncertain with what my trainer was telling me to do, but I was paying him and chose to just do what he told me to do. I felt like I was successful. No one on here knows the full story. Either fire your coach and listen to strangers on the Internet (many who have NOT done physique competitions) or follow what your coach tells you to do. Good luck to you! It is hard work!
  • trigden1991
    Options
    You know, you really shouldn't hop on these forums and second guess your coach. You are paying him to give you advice, and anytime you jump on a forum like this, people are going to cause you to second guess what you've been told. Just follow his advice. Time will tell. I've competed in 2 figure comps and finished top 3 in both. There were times when I was uncertain with what my trainer was telling me to do, but I was paying him and chose to just do what he told me to do. I felt like I was successful. No one on here knows the full story. Either fire your coach and listen to strangers on the Internet (many who have NOT done physique competitions) or follow what your coach tells you to do. Good luck to you! It is hard work!

I agree to some extent but if someone told me to increase my surplus to lose fat, I would seriously question their credibility.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new couch- and or a better understanding of what's going on- because if what you're saying is accurate- then you need a new coach- or there is a miss fire.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options

I call it data validation. I frequently prepare for conversations with my wife's doctors, so i would see this as no different. And just like with all things, there are good coaches and not so good coaches. So if you question some of the information they provide, coming to a forum to get some validation which might give you the opportunity to make a better assessment about a coach instead of spending a ton of money and only failing down the road.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I call it data validation. I frequently prepare for conversations with my wife's doctors, so i would see this as no different. And just like with all things, there are good coaches and not so good coaches. So if you question some of the information they provide, coming to a forum to get some validation which might give you the opportunity to make a better assessment about a coach instead of spending a ton of money and only failing down the road.

^^^ This.

Blind faith is rarely a good thing.

If the OP is concerned/confused enough to be asking the question in the first place, she deserves to be given information that may help her make an educated decision. Or at the very least, give her the tools she needs to discuss her concerns further with her coach.

Win/win.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

not happening and get a new coach