Saggy boobs

Options
There are two things that I have noticed shrinkin A LOT since losing weight- my feet and my boobs. I've gone down 1 1/2 shoe sizes and 3 cup sizes. Shrinking feet hasn't been too big of an issue because, well, I love to shop for shoes. My chest however is starting to look like two deflating balloons. Does anyone have any pointers for effectively combating this, short of sugery? I know some of it is just going to be loose skin, but what are some good excersies to build up the peck muscles underneath? I'm pretty skeptical of those skin tightening creams, but if someone has had a good experience with one I am willing to give it a try!

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Obviously, I am not a woman, but it's completely normal for skin to become squishier/deflated looking when you lose fat.

Fat cells dont oxidize evenly. basically what you are feeling is an uneven oxidation of fat on the cellular level. also fat is generally loose under the skin except for the layer of cells that actually touch underside of your skin. when they oxidize and shrink, fat cells can separate and become globular causing a sort of lumpy feeling. basically what you are experiencing is normal, but not everyones fat loss will be like that. for some people its much more uniform.

Also, some have hypothesized that fat cells when oxidize they partially feel up with water, leaving the cells feeling different.

Pectoral exercises won't help.

Best advice: Drink lots of water, take extra vitamin C, and moisturize and give it time. That's all you really can do. Fat cells burn off faster than your skin can shrink. It takes time for your skin to shrink down with the fat cells shrunken underneath it.
  • newgal1
    newgal1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm curious to know as i'd be surprised if there is anything possible for that. It will probably depend on your skin elasticity or something
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sorry - gravity has been very cruel to me and I don't know of anything that helps. If you find something, post it and help us all out!
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    give it time for the skin to adjust. my skin was kinda flabby but after a good 4 months of maintenance it has definitely tightened up significantly. it just takes time for your collagen fibers to repair and rebuild.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Avon sells a liquid bra that firms up the skin when you use it. And there's a coupon FSC16 for free shipping over $30
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Obviously, I am not a woman, but it's completely normal for skin to become squishier/deflated looking when you lose fat.

Fat cells dont oxidize evenly. basically what you are feeling is an uneven oxidation of fat on the cellular level. also fat is generally loose under the skin except for the layer of cells that actually touch underside of your skin. when they oxidize and shrink, fat cells can separate and become globular causing a sort of lumpy feeling. basically what you are experiencing is normal, but not everyones fat loss will be like that. for some people its much more uniform.

Also, some have hypothesized that fat cells when oxidize they partially feel up with water, leaving the cells feeling different.

Pectoral exercises won't help.

Best advice: Drink lots of water, take extra vitamin C, and moisturize and give it time. That's all you really can do. Fat cells burn off faster than your skin can shrink. It takes time for your skin to shrink down with the fat cells shrunken underneath it.
    ive always heard that pectoral strengthening will help. ive found after doing some machines at the gym that focus on the pecs, my "girl" have perked up a bit. also it takes time for your skin to catch up to the fat loss.
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The only suggestion I have also is a good bra...it can do wonders for the sagging twins...not much else is possible that i know of...age and gravity is cruel, but at least you can look good in a decent bra! Best of luck....
  • nfrank43
    nfrank43 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I think there is nothing that can be done. I too had that problem and will again when I lose weight. Gravity and if you had kids the stretching of the skin is not as elastic as it once was when you are really young. Stretch marks as well a signs of poor skin quality. I know you don't want surgery but if you decide you can get a breast lift so they can take away all the excess skin and make your breasts perkier for a few years until gravity takes over again and if you want volume you can get and augmenation with it.
    I think that's the route I will most likely take when I lose my 83 lbs.

Just noticed your age, so your still young and you most likely still have that nice retractable skin we all want. Hopefully it works out for you.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    give it time for the skin to adjust. my skin was kinda flabby but after a good 4 months of maintenance it has definitely tightened up significantly. it just takes time for your collagen fibers to repair and rebuild.

This is reassuring! I sure hope you are right! Unfortunately I think age and gravity have a lot to do with it too. :(
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I lost close to 70 pounds a few years ago. Last summer when I was being fitted for my wedding dress, the seamstress said something like "OK, so what happened to your boobs?" I had thought the change was more due to getting older, but then everybody (seamstress, my mom and my sister) assured me that no, they were saggy cuz of the weight loss and they were not normal for someone my age. After a few weeks of feeling ugly-breasted and a serious commitment to that exercise from the Judy Blume book, I decided to just accept my breasts in all their droopy glory (and try to get good bras so I can keep that glory to myself).
    -LP
  • Succor
    Succor Posts: 2
    Options
    The same thing has happened to me. Over the course of my life I have gained and lost 50lbs. With all of the fluctuations my boobs are saggy and deflated. I decided to get breast augmentation after I reach my goal weight as a reward for working so hard. My surgery is august 26th. Have you considered getting breast augmentation? I think its the only sure way to make your boobs permanently un- saggy..
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    After losing a good amount of weight I noticed myself that there was a lot of saggy skin and ... yeah, my boobs don't look perfect (not that they ever were ROFL). But if you give it enough time, your skin will adjust to the loss. Moisturizer, some strength training and water, water water will help. But, honestly, your best friend is time. I know the skin will never go away completely, but it gets better.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    A really good push-up bra.

I've had the same issue since I had kids. Never very big to begin with, and after pregnancy and nursing, they seem to have ... deflated ... even worse. Although, after time, some of the loose skin does shrink back, but there is nothing that fights the effects of gravity. It's part of being a mom. And a woman, too.

You don't have to spend a ton on the fanciest brazier. I often get mine at Wal-Mart or some place similar. Just try on several styles (I go for the underwire that also has padding in the bottom but not all the way around) and see which you like the looks of. Of course, even the pricier bras are going to cost you less than surgery, not to mention less recovery time. :laugh:
  • Lori_menorahlover
    Options
    Ok let me answer this. I've lost 109 lbs so far and nursed 3 children for a total of 5 years collectively. I am a 34 C.

I now call the "twins" my National Geographics. It's the only magazine I could model for now.

I'm a saggy sad lady unless I get a "lift" one day.

Sorry to sound like Debbie Downer but just being honest.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I know the feeling and so has the hubby :-( I thought my 3 kids did more than enough damage but I guess not. I just think of it as "woohoo, lets go bra shopping!!". Lol!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Pretty much bras are all that help. I have some good pectoral muscles and all they do is give me nice sternum definition. They do make my chest look better, but don't help with the saggy boobs. I've gone from 36 Ds to 34 As THREE times now while having and nursing children, poor "girls".
  • MissMandy1010
    MissMandy1010 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mine were never very big to begin with (im pretty petite) and after having 2 kids and nursing both of them, they seem to have gotten smaller and even less perky!! Im glad im not the only one, though. It doesn't seem fair to have small boobs and then to have them shrink even smaller and seem deflated, but such is life. Maybe someday I'll get a boob job. I was always happy with them, even though they were tiny, except now they're just sad. ahhh the perks of being a woman... lol
  • LAYLAH17
    LAYLAH17 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    There are two things that I have noticed shrinkin A LOT since losing weight- my feet and my boobs. I've gone down 1 1/2 shoe sizes and 3 cup sizes. Shrinking feet hasn't been too big of an issue because, well, I love to shop for shoes. My chest however is starting to look like two deflating balloons. Does anyone have any pointers for effectively combating this, short of sugery? I know some of it is just going to be loose skin, but what are some good excersies to build up the peck muscles underneath? I'm pretty skeptical of those skin tightening creams, but if someone has had a good experience with one I am willing to give it a try!

I usually wear a bra all day to include bed time. They are still high, lol but the weight is make them seem a little lower :blushing:
    Try this site as well: http://www.nowloss.com/exercise-to-lift-breast.htm
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Know the feeling, with my weight loss my ankles are thinner, my nose is pointed, and now I have jowls YAY!!!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    mine are like deflated balloona, thats why when i get to where i want to be (or somewhat before) my boyfriend and i are going to start saving for a boob job

editted to clarify the boob job is for me, but he is going to help pay for it