Anyone else out there trying to lose 50-100lbs+ w/Optimal Ketogenic living/Ketogains weighloss?

Anyone doing OKL/Ketogains specifically trying to lose a large amount of weight? I'd love to connect and follow your journey and you can follow me as well! I just started before the new year. I have several health issues, including PCOS- and I'm already seeing amazing results health-wise... before the scale even moves.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
  • alycaseymfp
    alycaseymfp Posts: 1 Member
    I am also doing keto and the 5x5 workout
  • johng1973
    johng1973 Posts: 109 Member
    I started doing Keto right before Christmas and LOVE IT as I no longer have the brain fog that I've been struggling with the past couple of years! I haven't lost any real weight yet as I wanted to put myself into ketosis firs, now that I'm on it I'm now focusing on actual weight loss. Feel free to add me!!
  • welly103
    welly103 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi all. I started my keto diet for the first time. It's my day 2 and am already feeling great. 89kg is my current weight. Want to get down to 72kg. I'll update next week with my weight again. Good luck everyone.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

This. Most are in this group, along with low carbers (up to about 150g carbs). You'll find a bunch of people who have had a lot of success with keto there. Past and present.

And remember to up your sodium to 3000-5000+ mg per day. That's 1-2+ tsp of salt per day. If you skip iit you may experience an electrolyte imbalance resulting in headaches, fatigue, brain fog, crankiness, nausea, BM issues, muscle aches and eventually crams once it gets really bad. Drinking broth, salted water or taking salt tablets will help.

Good luck. :)
  • hotpeppersweet
    hotpeppersweet Posts: 3 Member
    Im starting today... I am currently 108kg and looking to drop to 65kg. Tring to keep it simple with 3 meals per day total of 1350 calories 75% fat, 20% protein & 5% carbs. Simple low impact cardio for the first 3 weeks.
  • raulamberl
    raulamberl Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks everyone- I will join that group and have sent out friend requests to a few of you!
  • patti349
    patti349 Posts: 72 Member
    I have been doing the keto plan now since the first of December and I love it. I am no longer hungry and I have lost 10 pounds. Friend me and we can be on this journey together. Any other please add me and we can all do this together.
  • getoffin1year
    getoffin1year Posts: 87 Member
    I began keto on December 8th 2016 and as of today I'm down 22lbs! Would love more friends on the same journey
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    I have been doing it beginning right before Thanksgiving. I am nearly 20 pounds down at this point.
  • Miss_TeganMarie
    Miss_TeganMarie Posts: 11 Member
    Just started Keto on 1/1/2016! Can't wait to start seeing results!
  • welly103
    Hi all, looks like I'm going in the right direction. I lost nearly 2kg. I'm down to 87kg now. Maybe just because of non carb diet. I love cheese and avocado. It'll fill me up easy. And it covers my daily fat intake (78 to 80%). Give it a try. You can get some decent avocado from aldi for less. Peace out.
  • welly103
    Hi all check this out. Jason Wittrock is the reason behind my keto diet. He knows his stuff. Search on YouTube or click this link below. Happy diet
    https://youtu.be/qgEKUcW_DjU
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Three weeks low carb and cutting sugar before Christmas; a week of Christmas, and since the 28th, been fully on a ketogenic diet (5-8% Net Carb, 25% protein, 70% fat) - dropped six kilo in total.

Found it hard at the start getting the fats I needed into my diet at the start, but have been using MCT Oil and also become a cheese eating beast; not having many issues without carbs yet.
  • happyjoybliss
    happyjoybliss Posts: 1 Member
    Hello,

I'm VERY new to the Ketogenic Foodplan. In fact, I just got 3 books about it this week. I sort of knew the basic concept but I'm totally unfamiliar with the while ratio thing, the % vs %. The books are very, very good, especially a purple book called, "Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet", by Jimmy Moore. It only comes in hardcover or digital. I like writing and highlighting so I splurged and got the book. It's a wealth of knowledge.

I'm also new to this App. I see it's free but then there's another option that's not $2.00 like other apps. Is it worth it?

Finally: regarding "MyFitnessPal": are they "pro" some foodplans and "anti" others? What's the overall view on the Ketogenic Diet?

Thanks in advance!
    --happyjoybliss

PS: Oh and, YES! I have a very large amount of weight to lose. It's daunting.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Hello,

I'm VERY new to the Ketogenic Foodplan. In fact, I just got 3 books about it this week. I sort of knew the basic concept but I'm totally unfamiliar with the while ratio thing, the % vs %. The books are very, very good, especially a purple book called, "Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet", by Jimmy Moore. It only comes in hardcover or digital. I like writing and highlighting so I splurged and got the book. It's a wealth of knowledge.

I'm also new to this App. I see it's free but then there's another option that's not $2.00 like other apps. Is it worth it?

Finally: regarding "MyFitnessPal": are they "pro" some foodplans and "anti" others? What's the overall view on the Ketogenic Diet?

Thanks in advance!
    --happyjoybliss

I've only used the free version. It makes macros go up by 5%, so it is not as exact, but it suits me. I followed the macros pretty loosely. My carbs were set at 20%, which was 18g, but I would go as high as 30g and as low as 5g in my daily diet.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek is a great book too.

I would say the majority of MFP follow moderation. Some are anti-keto, or at least against people suggesting that most people may benefit from a LCHF diet. They seem to accept that LCHF can help some health problems but many don't understand why someone would try keto unless they have a diagnosed health reason for doing so. Many vocal posters are against linking the word addiction is any way to sugar you've been warned. ;) I think there is still an argument going in the debate forum on that now.

Anyways, MFP is becoming more open to LCHF. At least it seems to have over the last year. Still, most keto'ers and low carbers post the most in the Low Carber Daily MFP group to avoid the naysayers and interact with people with more LCHF knowledge and success.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks in advance!
    --happyjoybliss

I've only used the free version. It makes macros go up by 5%, so it is not as exact, but it suits me. I followed the macros pretty loosely. My carbs were set at 20%, which was 18g, but I would go as high as 30g and as low as 5g in my daily diet.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek is a great book too.

I would say the majority of MFP follow moderation. Some are anti-keto, or at least against people suggesting that most people may benefit from a LCHF diet. They seem to accept that LCHF can help some health problems but many don't understand why someone would try keto unless they have a diagnosed health reason for doing so. Many vocal posters are against linking the word addiction is any way to sugar you've been warned. ;) I think there is still an argument going in the debate forum on that now.

Anyways, MFP is becoming more open to LCHF. At least it seems to have over the last year. Still, most keto'ers and low carbers post the most in the Low Carber Daily MFP group to avoid the naysayers and interact with people with more LCHF knowledge and success.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I have noticed an increase in LCHF/Keto people coming out onto the main forums. But largely, I would agree with you that many follow moderation/flexible/IIFYM.
  • LeeseySparkles
    LeeseySparkles Posts: 10 Member
    I'm watching my carbs and calories.. so far so good. I have approx 60 pounds to drop! Low carbing works. It's also a delicious diet, and easy to follow without complicated 101 rules.