What do you put in your Tuna?

Options
Hey MFP Hivemind! I've only ever made tuna with mayo, but I'm looking for healthy alternatives. Anyone make theirs with something other then mayo?

Replies

• mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Avocado and mustard. But I love mustard.

Avocado is a good substitute for mayo in just about anything.
  • carmk1028
    carmk1028 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    tomato onions salt pepper little hot pepper spice of some kind squeeze of citrus lime or lemon place on lettuce wrap
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt instead of mayo for literally everything! Its excellent!
    Greek yogurt is also a good sub for sour cream too.

I recently started using full fat greek yogurt too instead of the no fat kind. Its more filling & creamy.
    Fat isn't the enemy - sugar is.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt isn't bad- It actually makes canned tuna taste fresher (to my tastebuds, but I also really like yogurt).
    I've also tried it with lemon juice & some seasonings (w/wo a little olive oil & vinegar).
  • _RNR_
    _RNR_ Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Steak and potatoes.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I use cottage cheese sometimes.
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use cottage cheese sometimes.
    Same here. Use cottage cheese, put in a little salt and a lot of pepper, throw in some capers and slice up a few black olives.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    More tuna.

Really - I like tuna plain.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP Hivemind! I've only ever made tuna with mayo, but I'm looking for healthy alternatives. Anyone make theirs with something other then mayo?

1 can tuna, 1/2 avocado, 1 T. ranch dressing, 1/2 T. each salt and pepper
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    ALSO -

1 can tuna, 1 T. creamy balsamic dressing and 1 T. shredded carrots
  • renaedar
    renaedar Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I like onions, cottage cheese, salt and pepper in mine.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad with light mayo, chopped hardboiled eggs, dill relish, and finely diced onion (and salt and pepper to taste). It's fantastic and quite low calorie.

I'm generally not a fan of light mayo, but I can't tell when it's in the tuna salad and it drastically reduces the amount of calories. I've tried Greek yogurt in it, but it just wasn't the same (and I love Greek yogurt).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://theproteinchef.co/category/healthy-recipes/tuna-recipes/

I have made several of these and love them, especially the body building tuna salad and bacon tuna melt.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    A fork. Lol
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Tuna with diced peppers, green onion, sriracha and light sesame-ginger dressing

I also like tuna with tomato, cottage cheese salt & pepper
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I usually eat it either plain or on a sammich using margarine. I tried using Greek yogurt, but my brain would not get out of the "mayonnaise is gross" mindset. I've also used oil and balsamic reductions.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I don't like mayo unless made fresh from scratch, but I like sriracha or Frank's Red Hot mixed in my tuna.

I sometimes use mustard too, especially if it's going to be a tuna melt and I do a can of tuna, lots of diced celery or cucumber, bell pepper, green onion, and carrot, then add mustard and mix it up, then throw that all on a piece of naan or whatever, top with a little shredded cheese and stick it in the toaster oven. Then it gets a big drizzle of sriracha after it's melted. My husband thinks it looks repulsive but it tastes great and it's got all the crunchy veg and acidity from the mustard.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Mayo, mustard, boiled egg, pickle relish, onion, salt, & pepper.
  • slivesey77
    slivesey77 Posts: 2,450 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce right out of the can