Mindful eating support or group

Options
Is anyone else inspired to try mindful eating or is there already a group out there?

Replies

• polechka
    polechka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try a group to stay accountable. I tend to eat fast and mindlessly, and since I tried mindful eating I loved the idea but I find it hard to stick with--too many years of bad eating habits, I guess. I am very interested in having an accountability partner to keep myself focused on what I eat, how much I eat and why.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    This has potential to be a great idea. I always like the idea of putting some/more intelligence into eating instead of eating willy nilly and counting calories (mind you). I guess it's a different type of work/challenge.

What's your idea of "mindful eating"?

To me, it's a bit of timing, different foods, to start.
  • mizzylamiz
    mizzylamiz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating to me is spending extra time eating, and taking the time to really experience the food.

This morning I had eaten two Lindt balls before I realised I'd even looked at the box. I'm hoping that mindful eating will help me stop doing this and give me more I pulse control ;)
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    polechka wrote: »
    I'd love to try a group to stay accountable. I tend to eat fast and mindlessly, and since I tried mindful eating I loved the idea but I find it hard to stick with--too many years of bad eating habits, I guess. I am very interested in having an accountability partner to keep myself focused on what I eat, how much I eat and why.

had forgotten about this question, lol. in case you see this, I too would say I eat fast and mindlessly. I'm working on being mindful :)
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    This has potential to be a great idea. I always like the idea of putting some/more intelligence into eating instead of eating willy nilly and counting calories (mind you). I guess it's a different type of work/challenge.

What's your idea of "mindful eating"?

To me, it's a bit of timing, different foods, to start.

Good question! Hadn't thought about it for definition, yet...

For now, I'd say it's being more mindful/aware of: what I'm eating (is it nutritious); why I'm eating (hunger or emotional); when I'm getting satiated (being aware if/when eating to fullness or being overstuffed); and what decision I make when satiated (stop eating or keep eating). It seems like too many questions, lol :)
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    mizzylamiz wrote: »
    Mindful eating to me is spending extra time eating, and taking the time to really experience the food.

This morning I had eaten two Lindt balls before I realised I'd even looked at the box. I'm hoping that mindful eating will help me stop doing this and give me more I pulse control ;)

I can relate. Sometimes I eat with no distractions, & make a "meal event" for snacks and that seems to help :)
  • 1cand0it2
    1cand0it2 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join in - I took a class on this and it needs consistent practice. Step one was to determine if you're eating out of hunger or for some other reason (like a schedule (diet), or stress, etc.). There really is a great process to work through, and it takes practice.

The class I took was based on this book: https://www.amazon.com/Eat-What-You-Love-Eat-Repent-Repeat/dp/1934076244

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What is "mindful" anyway, such a hot word these days. I mostly use my mouth for eating. Tongue for tasting, teeth for chewing, etc.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    1cand0it2 wrote: »
    I'd love to join in - I took a class on this and it needs consistent practice. Step one was to determine if you're eating out of hunger or for some other reason (like a schedule (diet), or stress, etc.). There really is a great process to work through, and it takes practice.

The class I took was based on this book: https://www.amazon.com/Eat-What-You-Love-Eat-Repent-Repeat/dp/1934076244

Excellent advice! thanks alot for sharing, will check it out :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I maintain with what I call mindful eating. For me it means eating according to a schedule (I see for some it's the opposite, heh -- I don't mean specific times, really, but simply eating at meals and not snacking except on rare occasions and definitely not grazing, which I do mindlessly too easily). Also, paying attention to food choice and portion size (not necessarily any specific portions). Not eating because of emotions or stress or boredom, etc. Making sure I really enjoy and care about what I'm eating when possible, and appreciating it rather than scarfing it down. Having a reason for my choices.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I maintain with what I call mindful eating. For me it means eating according to a schedule (I see for some it's the opposite, heh -- I don't mean specific times, really, but simply eating at meals and not snacking except on rare occasions and definitely not grazing, which I do mindlessly too easily). Also, paying attention to food choice and portion size (not necessarily any specific portions). Not eating because of emotions or stress or boredom, etc. Making sure I really enjoy and care about what I'm eating when possible, and appreciating it rather than scarfing it down. Having a reason for my choices.

Great tips thanks for sharing
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My New Year's Resolution (I love resolutions and I care not for all those who mock the making of them!) is to try and be more mindful about what I'm eating and WHY I'm eating. To me that sums it up. Stopping to ask if I'm actually hungry, have I had sufficient etc. OP why don't you create a group and invite all those showing interest to join. I know I'd sign up for a bit of extra accountability.
  • jyamiolk
    jyamiolk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Here is a PDf about mindful eating. it is very interesting. We did this at one of my support groups. http://hfhc.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/114469
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love resolutions and I care not for all those who mock the making of them!

I love them too. I use the New Year as a time to reflect on the past year, set goals (real goals, with a plan), figure out what I really want from the coming year and what I'm doing that should change, etc. Sure you can do it at other times, but for me it presents a built in opportunity and good time.
  • hlc302
    hlc302 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Interested too : ) I also have attended a general mindfulness group & already try to be more mindful around the whole aspect e,g where our food comes from to start with , the time & energy spent growing, producing , cooking etc , then actually whilst eating ,, it does make you appreciate your food more & the work put into getting it onto your table ! but like others I would like support to keep it up & motivation .
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Cbestinme wrote: »
    polechka wrote: »

had forgotten about this question, lol. in case you see this, I too would say I eat fast and mindlessly. I'm working on being mindful :)

Definitely agree. A accountability group is brilliant
  • Pippin
    Pippin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me being mindful means paying attention to what I eat and when I eat it. I have a tendency to graze all day so I find planning my meals and snacks helpful. Adding food to my food diary before I eat it also helps me pay attention to how much I'm eating. I would also be interested in a group.