Obese woman getting started.

Options
I've been a member of MFP for about a year now but I'm still new. I'm super morbidly obese, and I say this because I'm 495 pounds with a 60% bodyfat percentage. I have not worked out in years. I have basically been doing nothing but eating and watching tv for years. slowly gaining more weight. I want to lose weight but it will take some time. The year of 2017 I will try to get healthy.

Replies

• helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can do this! It's great that you know it will take some time - most people get disheartened when they don't see immediate results. If you start logging your food and take things slowly, you will get there, the main thing focus should be to get healthy. Even if you have weeks where you're sticking to you plan but not losing, the changes are going to be taking place.

If you start by increasing the amount of water you drink every day, cutting down on carbs (this will make such a significant difference) and increasing the amount of green vegetables, protein and good fats, this will help!

Good luck :D
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yes of course you can do this, it will take time thatsvery true. You must stick with it and log everything you eat and drink honestly. Start to get more active start with steady walking, use a step counter to encourage yourself. Good luck
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    i believe you can do this. i agree with the comments above. please, start with simple changes by adding different food types and add movement.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    How is your mobility? Can you still walk?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Good luck
    You can do it
  • roni87wb
    roni87wb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you. Other than work, I spend my time sitting in front of my computer. Last Monday I started cutting calories, and I've already lost weight. You can do this! WE can do this! =) I'm always here to talk if you'd like.
  • Beth150Ann
    Beth150Ann Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I do think even the little thing helps and just making more 'good' choices vs 'bad' choices will build on top of each other. I found something that has helped me this last week. When I do something 'good' instead of 'bad' I post it on my status line. For example I had to remind myself to drink water so I posted BE STRONG - DRINK WATER. And lo' and behold I drank water (instead of a diet coke) and I felt so damn proud of myself. When I ate an apple instead of going the candy dish (I felt tired and weak and REALLY wanted that chocolate). I posted my success. I was surprised how good this felt. Oh, by the way -- I have 'cleared' out my cupboards of my trigger foods and if I bring a trigger food back in or if I find a new trigger food -- I have thrown out any 'left-overs' or just the whole thing. And yes I will pour something on top of it in the trashcan. One Step At A Time -- One Day At A Time
  • fatty2sixpack
    fatty2sixpack Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    JoyMaillet wrote: »
    How is your mobility? Can you still walk?

I can walk for less than 10 minutes cuz then I have to sit down cuz I have sciatica makes y back hurt.