Need a lot of help!

Options
kyle_NUFC
kyle_NUFC Posts: 5 Member
Where do I start, I'm 6"4 and weigh around 74kg, which is really under weight for my height, I'm sick and tired of being called names such as 'lanky' 'skinny' ect.. it's time to change all of that, I just need pointing in the right direction because I'm pretty new to all of this. I work a pretty active job and I know for a fact I don't eat nowhere near enough to gain any weight, so if someone could help me out with the nutrition and food I need to be eating that would be great because I think that's my biggest issue at the minute.

I bought a few things today to help gain weight, I know I can't rely on supplements to do that but this is what I bought;

Whey Protein
Omega 3
BCAA's
Creatine
Pre work out

Replies

• lauamy96
    lauamy96 Posts: 102 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    All that supplementation is really unnecessary and honestly, a waste of money. If you need a pre-workout boost, drink a cup of coffee or a cup of black tea (not a sugary latte, coffee, lol). There are high protein foods low in carbs and fats like cottage cheese and fish. If you're just starting out, focus on nutrition and eating at a calorie surplus -- 250 calories above your TDEE and adjusting for weight gain every week. You really shouldn't have a trouble hitting your macro goals yet to start actually needing protein supplements. Creatine and BCAA's haven't been FDA approved or actually consistently shown results.

To hit calorie goal, eat nutrient and calorie dense foods, not just pizza and chocolate and other junk. Eat your bread with peanut or almond butter, nuts esp. macadamia nuts and cashews, cook with olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, etc.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The supplements are fine. Whey Protein contains all the BCAAs so the BCAAs are really only necessary for fasted cardio which I doubt you need or want to do. Pretty much everyone doing strength training should take creatine unless your sport doesn't allow it or it negatively affects you in some way.

For nutrition, since you struggle getting enough calories in, then I suggest eating what you like to eat, and focus on calorie dense foods. Use the protein powder to make sure you're eating around 150g protein per day. Make sure you are getting stronger in the gym. Use a proven lifting program that focuses on progressive overload and compound lifts. If you're not getting stronger each workout then you're not eating enough. You can expect to lose performance if you get a bad nights sleep, for example; but most often it's because you're not eating enough. The main point is eat enough that you're getting stronger. If you stall, then eat more.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    lauamy96 wrote: »
    All that supplementation is really unnecessary and honestly, a waste of money. If you need a pre-workout boost, drink a cup of coffee or a cup of black tea (not a sugary latte, coffee, lol). There are high protein foods low in carbs and fats like cottage cheese and fish. If you're just starting out, focus on nutrition and eating at a calorie surplus -- 250 calories above your TDEE and adjusting for weight gain every week. You really shouldn't have a trouble hitting your macro goals yet to start actually needing protein supplements. Creatine and BCAA's haven't been FDA approved or actually consistently shown results.

To hit calorie goal, eat nutrient and calorie dense foods, not just pizza and chocolate and other junk. Eat your bread with peanut or almond butter, nuts esp. macadamia nuts and cashews, cook with olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, etc.

Have to disagree about creatine. It's the most researched sports supplement in the industry and has overwhelming evidence to support its use.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

Have to disagree about creatine. It's the most researched sports supplement in the industry and has overwhelming evidence to support its use.

Agreed. Creatine is one of a few supplements worth taking if you have the other variables down (calories, macros/micros and timing).

OP, when it comes down to it, you have to eat or drink enough calories. It's really simple. you have to consistently eat over your TDEE or maintenance calories to gain weight. You need a progressive resistance program and adequate nutrition to add muscle, and not just fat. The below thread is a good place to start.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Agree also. There's no other (legally obtainable) supplement with as much positive scientific evidence for effectiveness as creatine. It's not a "miracle pill", but there's no question that it offers some benefit to those who strength train (that is to say, more benefit than any other supplement on the market).

@kyle_NUFC - running your numbers through Scooby's Calorie Calculator, it looks like you should be eating somewhere around 3100 calories per day to put you in a 500 calorie surplus for weight gain - possibly more than that depending upon how active you are. 3100 would be a good starting point, and adjust up or down from there as you go depending on how much weight you're gaining over time.

As for the other supplements you listed:

Whey protein - Good if you're having trouble hitting your protein goals, unnecessary otherwise. You can also throw some other stuff in your shakes (bananas, flaxseed, full-fat milk, etc.) to help you hit your calorie goals if needed.

Omega 3/fish oil - Good idea for a number of reasons.

BCAAs - Meh. Completely unnecessary if you have enough protein in your diet. Possibly helpful if you regularly train fasted.

Creatine - Already covered above.

Pre-workout - Meh. I don't like any of them, they make me feel jittery and sick to my stomach and I don't need to be all cranked up for a workout. YMMV.