Averaging one pound weight loss per week

Options
2»

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing amazing.. I'd just keep doing what you are!
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1 lb a week...Keep doing what you're doing, it's working!. I recently had an epiphany...Having yoyod all through 2016 (I am not suggesting you have) through wanting to get it shifted, but not being consistent...I realised (the flaming obvious) that if I can lose a pound a week, for the YEAR I will be 52 pounds lighter by the end. A pound a week that doesn't sound unachievable right now..And THAT is how I need to feel.
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    If your profile pic is current more than a lb a week just probably isn't a realistic goal. You need to have a lot more weight to lose to be able to create that big of deficit.

65 pounds of fat is alot.sw 207 cw 194. Started 11/25/16

oneoddsock wrote: »
    I needs tips on upping that to around 2 or 3 pounds a week. Im okay with 2.

Why do you need to lose more than one pound a week?
    Because i have alot of fat to lose.

Unfortunately, this is one of the things that confuse people about weight loss. We don't just lose or gain fat. Our bodies also lose/gain muscle, tissue, and water. Think of a bodybuilder in a bulk, they are trying to put on muscle, but they also gain fat as well.

So when you lose weight, you are not just losing fat, you're losing the other stuff as well. The goal is to retain as much muscle as possible because it's hard to put back on. This is why most people who crash diet are unhappy with the results; the number on the scale dropped, but the end result isn't the tight, toned body they envisioned. They lost so much muscle from creating such a large deficit that they just look like a thinner, flabby version of themselves.

I know 62 lbs feel like a lot of weight, but 2 lbs per week is far too aggressive. I would recommend sticking with 1 lb and keep going with your workouts. You may find that thanks to the resistance training, your body actually looks closer to what you were going for at a higher weight that you envisioned. I think I was a good 5-10 lbs heavier than my goal number when I was happy with how I looked. When I got closer to the goal number, thinking I would look more awesome, I actually looked sick. Go for your goal body, not a goal number.

Good stuff thank you. Sw was 207 cw 193 gw 140. Im wondering will i have access skin. Oh and i started on 11/25/16
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    If your profile pic is current more than a lb a week just probably isn't a realistic goal. You need to have a lot more weight to lose to be able to create that big of deficit.

65 pounds of fat is alot.sw 207 cw 194. Started 11/25/16

oneoddsock wrote: »
    I needs tips on upping that to around 2 or 3 pounds a week. Im okay with 2.

Why do you need to lose more than one pound a week?
    Because i have alot of fat to lose.

Unfortunately, this is one of the things that confuse people about weight loss. We don't just lose or gain fat. Our bodies also lose/gain muscle, tissue, and water. Think of a bodybuilder in a bulk, they are trying to put on muscle, but they also gain fat as well.

So when you lose weight, you are not just losing fat, you're losing the other stuff as well. The goal is to retain as much muscle as possible because it's hard to put back on. This is why most people who crash diet are unhappy with the results; the number on the scale dropped, but the end result isn't the tight, toned body they envisioned. They lost so much muscle from creating such a large deficit that they just look like a thinner, flabby version of themselves.

I know 62 lbs feel like a lot of weight, but 2 lbs per week is far too aggressive. I would recommend sticking with 1 lb and keep going with your workouts. You may find that thanks to the resistance training, your body actually looks closer to what you were going for at a higher weight that you envisioned. I think I was a good 5-10 lbs heavier than my goal number when I was happy with how I looked. When I got closer to the goal number, thinking I would look more awesome, I actually looked sick. Go for your goal body, not a goal number.

Good stuff thank you. Sw was 207 cw 193 gw 140. Im wondering will i have access skin. Oh and i started on 11/25/16

If you want some perspective on the power of muscle. Below is an article of a girl who gained 20 lbs of it and started out with the typical weight loss mentality. If you do weight loss right from the beginning, you can get an amazing body a hell of a lot faster than aggressive calorie restriction and random resistance exercise. If you want a lean and tight body, you want a moderate deficit, higher protein (~ 120g for you) and follow a progressive overload lifting program. You are completely untrained, which means you are absolutely primed to get some noob gains. This is why I have suggested in several threads to really take a step back and look at what you truly want.... and that means past a silly number. Because lets face it, would you rather be a skinny and flabby 130 or a defined 145?

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/