Add Olive Oil?

Options
Hello, am I right that if I have a fried egg I need to chart both the egg and the cooking oil? The system doesn't account for some type of cooking oil or butter, correct?

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    That is how I do it yes.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    yes,that's correct.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    definitely! I add for 1 tablespoon when cooking eggs or whatever i use to cook them in
  • cut44
    cut44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That sucks. Thanks though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but I don't use that much oil frying eggs
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I log both oil (1TBS) and egg. The egg will absorb most of it anyway. And if I didn't count the oil, I'd be over by 100 calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If the entry is for a fried egg than it likely does include oil. You can check by comparing it to an entry for a raw or boiled egg. If the fried egg has more fat grams then fat (oil or butter) has been included.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I use real butter or butter mixed with canola oil so it coats my pan well, then after frying I put the egg on a paper towel to drain a little more of the butter off. So I calculate about 1/3 tbsp or less by the time I'm done frying my egg, but I start with half a tbsp or less as well. Less is more. Use a good nonstick pan and you won't need so much oil.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If the entry is for a fried egg than it likely does include oil. You can check by comparing it to an entry for a raw or boiled egg. If the fried egg has more fat grams then fat (oil or butter) has been included.

Correct, if the entry says "fried egg" it's assuming you used some kind of oil. If you want to be slightly more accurate, log a raw egg and the oil. Keep in mind you're not eating all the oil you used to cook though. (Hopefully not at least)
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    cut44 wrote: »

I use a non stick pan and a small amount of water, (more than the amount of fat I would use) which I get very hot first, to not really fry my eggs. They don't have crispy edges but I don't have any fat to count.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I was told that if you don't log the oil, your body won't absorb the calories? :o

along the lines of "the fries at the bottom of the bag don't count".. ;)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

I use a non stick pan and a small amount of water, (more than the amount of fat I would use) which I get very hot first, to not really fry my eggs. They don't have crispy edges but I don't have any fat to count.

Why did no one tell me this before? I am going to try frying in water.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I fry my egg in the bacon grease. I use the database listing for fried egg and don't worry about it.
    I always manage to save a few grams of bacon grease for my daughter's soap-making hobby, so I figure that my actual calories are a little lower than the diary claims.

The "fried egg" entry for 112 grams of egg, which is 2 X-large, has several grams more fat than the "egg, raw" entry for 112 grams.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Too bad this wouldn't work for me. Non stick pans have teflon which is deadly to my birds.