Water retention

Options
Does anyone have any ideas on how I could decrease water retention? I know fluid pushes fluid, but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Thanks to being pregnant my feet are ginormous with fluid retention. I even have pitting edema around my shins. I look like I have elephantitis.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Have you tried magnesium? Obviously check it's okay to take whilst pregnant first :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Have you tried magnesium? Obviously check it's okay to take whilst pregnant first :)

No I haven't. I totally forgot about that. Someone years ago had told me that as well. Will call AM and seee if it's safe.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    When you call the doctor, ask them if they have anything they can suggest as well.

I'm hesitant to make any suggestions considering what you've posted of your medical history. Since I tend to use plant remedies for water retention, I wouldn't want to be responsible for an allergic reaction or worse...

*Squishy hugs* :wink:

All the best to you!
  • elphie754
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    When you call the doctor, ask them if they have anything they can suggest as well.

I'm hesitant to make any suggestions considering what you've posted of your medical history. Since I tend to use plant remedies for water retention, I wouldn't want to be responsible for an allergic reaction or worse...

*Squishy hugs* :wink:

All the best to you!

She just recommended Epsom salt baths, and drink a ton of fluid, but even with that, my legs look terrible. She also mentioned compression socks, which I feel like instead of swelling in my feet/ankles, my knees start to swell. Like the fluid just gets moved around.

And that's okay! I wouldn't want you to feel responsible for somethjng happening. Thank you for remembering l :)
  • CajunCher2005
    CajunCher2005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking water.
  • elphie754
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Went back to OB because feet literally looked like they were going to burst. She checked BP (which was low) and sent me for blood work as well as a 24 hour urine catch just to rule out preeclampsia (she highly doubts it since I have had any high BP readings). She also sent me for ultrasound of the legs just to make sure it wasn't clots.

She didn't really have any suggestions other than drink a lot of fluid, elevate legs, don't sit too long, don't stand too long, wear compression socks, Epsom salt foot baths and remember that you only have ten more weeks to go lol. She did not want me to decrease sodium due to a slight electrolyte imbalance when I first found out I was pregnant, the low BP and low sodium levels the last time she did blood.

I'm at a loss. Have tried all of those and still really uncomfortable no sometimes hurts to walk. Anyone else have any suggestions we may have missed?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you ruled all the nasties out.

With that said, don't you think the dr is in the best position to give advice? She's told you all the safe things to do. Did you try them, or are you continuing to do them?

I'm sorry you're so uncomfortable.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Trust your medical health professional; the reality is that your body needs a whole lot of different things than it usually does while it supports you building a baby inside of you.

Keep your water intake high, sodium itself isn't a bad thing if you're drinking 2 litres a day as you'll be flushing a lot of it out of your body in any case. Check with your OB around the amount of carbohydrates you're consuming as they can have an inflammation impact on your body (which leads to water retention) - try cutting out 20G of carb and replacing it with a mixture of fats and proteins and see if that helps.
  • elphie754
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    I'm so glad you ruled all the nasties out.

With that said, don't you think the dr is in the best position to give advice? She's told you all the safe things to do. Did you try them, or are you continuing to do them?

I'm sorry you're so uncomfortable.

Yes, I do believe she is the best to give advice, unfortunately the things she has suggested just really haven't been working. I am continuing to do them, but they haven't really provided much relief. Was just wondering if maybe someone had a suggestion that neither one of us had thought of.
    Trust your medical health professional; the reality is that your body needs a whole lot of different things than it usually does while it supports you building a baby inside of you.

Keep your water intake high, sodium itself isn't a bad thing if you're drinking 2 litres a day as you'll be flushing a lot of it out of your body in any case. Check with your OB around the amount of carbohydrates you're consuming as they can have an inflammation impact on your body (which leads to water retention) - try cutting out 20G of carb and replacing it with a mixture of fats and proteins and see if that helps.

Absolutely not. My diet is mostly fruits and veggies and some days all I can eat is crackers. I have also been having some issues with blood surges being really low in the morning (not gestational diabetes, just from not being able to eat and bringing everything back up).
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bananas might help since the potassium helps the body's fluid balance.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My aunt used to drink decaffeinated tea and keep her feet elevated when she was pregnant.
    The tea is a mild diuretic. I don't know if that will work for you.
    I hope you feel better soon.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Arapacana1 wrote: »
    Bananas might help since the potassium helps the body's fluid balance.

Not the biggest fan of bananas, but will try to add them to my peanut butter toast in the morning.
    My aunt used to drink decaffeinated tea and keep her feet elevated when she was pregnant.
    The tea is a mild diuretic. I don't know if that will work for you.
    I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you. I've been drinking a lot of diet caffeine free iced tea. Maybe I should try brewing my own and seenif that makes a difference.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Office called a little while ago. Preeclampsia is completely ruled out. The only abnormal levels were my IgE levels which were high (constant with the constant reactions I've been having/is always high when I'm actively having a reaction). Other than that, everything looks great.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You're pregnant. I'm afraid oedema goes with the territory. All the remedies your doctor suggests will ease it but they will not take it away. When I was pregnant, approaching term, I had terrible oedema, huge ankles, basically couldn't walk much at all. When I look back at pictures you could see it in my face, even my nose was visibly swollen. If there's no indication of a health problem, I'm afraid you'll have to just put your feet up as much as you can and wait it out.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I remember when my dear friend was pregnant, her lower legs and ankles swelled up so badly. I'd give her feet/leg massages which would make them go down, but by the time I finished with the second leg, the first one had already swelled right back up!
  • elphie754
    Options
    You're pregnant. I'm afraid oedema goes with the territory. All the remedies your doctor suggests will ease it but they will not take it away. When I was pregnant, approaching term, I had terrible oedema, huge ankles, basically couldn't walk much at all. When I look back at pictures you could see it in my face, even my nose was visibly swollen. If there's no indication of a health problem, I'm afraid you'll have to just put your feet up as much as you can and wait it out.

Not what I wanted to hear. :'( my legs look like they are going to burst.
    I remember when my dear friend was pregnant, her lower legs and ankles swelled up so badly. I'd give her feet/leg massages which would make them go down, but by the time I finished with the second leg, the first one had already swelled right back up!

Same here. When I first wake up, legs are fine, then an hour or so later they are swollen.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    So sorry ....I would just continue to do as the doctor suggested and when possible elevate your legs. Found this on wiki..http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Edema-During-Pregnancy
    I'm looking forward to the birth of your little girl so you can get back to feeling well. When you see her the first time it will all be worth it.
  • elphie754
    Options
    So I'm not really into products that are "woo" or snake oil, but was just told something that I'm not sure it's woo or not. Last night I went to the store I get my essential oils from and mentioned to the girl that my legs are so full of fluid that it's killing me. She suggested I try seaweed wraps to help with the water retention. I have never heard of that before . I am familiar with the scam/snake oil wraps for cellulite, whichbis making me hesitant to believe it would actually work.

Anyone every trybthem for water retention? Did it help? Opinions on whether it is woo or true (even if you haven't tried them)?
  • elphie754
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    So sorry ....I would just continue to do as the doctor suggested and when possible elevate your legs. Found this on wiki..http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Edema-During-Pregnancy
    I'm looking forward to the birth of your little girl so you can get back to feeling well. When you see her the first time it will all be worth it.

I'm looking forward to it as well so that I can finally resume some sort of normalcy and feel better. Depending how the next few weeks go, especially with the allergies, we have been discussing possibly inducing labor at 38 weeks, not setnin stone though.