Water retention

Options

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    When you have excess fluid in your lower legs one of the best thing you can do is to get the lymph system moving. Walking (even slowly) for short periods of time to try and get things pumping can help some. Drink. Drink. Drink. Caffeine is a mild diuretic. If you can handle a bit of that, it might help some. You can ask your doctor about dandelion and/or burdock tea. Both of which can be helpful getting fluid out. The good news is, you're almost done. :-)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    When you have excess fluid in your lower legs one of the best thing you can do is to get the lymph system moving. Walking (even slowly) for short periods of time to try and get things pumping can help some. Drink. Drink. Drink. Caffeine is a mild diuretic. If you can handle a bit of that, it might help some. You can ask your doctor about dandelion and/or burdock tea. Both of which can be helpful getting fluid out. The good news is, you're almost done. :-)

I'm not supposed to have any caffeine, if I absolutely have to-only one coffee a day. I have a feeling doctor will say know to herbal teas because she was hesitant to say to lavender oil for muscle pain.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, after you have the baby it will settle down.. walking and exercise helped me a lot and you can have a little coffee if you want it after second trimester. Sleep as much as you can.. it'll be over before you know it
  • elphie754
    Options
    emilk2016 wrote: »
    Hang in there, after you have the baby it will settle down.. walking and exercise helped me a lot and you can have a little coffee if you want it after second trimester. Sleep as much as you can.. it'll be over before you know it

Been trying to swim everyday because walking hurts myback too much. Not sure if it's helping or not, but feels good to do.

I'm not "a little" coffee person lol. When I start drinking it, I have at least 4cups a day lol.
  • justholistic
    justholistic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a manual lymphatic drainage therapist - a Mld treatment will help get rid of excess fluid & is safe while pregnant . Epsom salt baths are great & safe after 1st trimester. Elevate your feet when you can too. If you can raise the foot of your bed by 5degrees ( house brick ) this will help too.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    So I'm not really into products that are "woo" or snake oil, but was just told something that I'm not sure it's woo or not. Last night I went to the store I get my essential oils from and mentioned to the girl that my legs are so full of fluid that it's killing me. She suggested I try seaweed wraps to help with the water retention. I have never heard of that before . I am familiar with the scam/snake oil wraps for cellulite, whichbis making me hesitant to believe it would actually work.

Anyone every trybthem for water retention? Did it help? Opinions on whether it is woo or true (even if you haven't tried them)?

I'm going with woo. If you stop and think about it, how would wrapping your legs in anything draw out fluids? Are they like little sponges or something that can permeate the skin layer? ;)

Seaweed wraps are a woo-filled recommendation for cellulite. Which isn't your issue anyway. :)

Hang in there - the finish line is in sight! :)
  • elphie754
    Options
    So I'm not really into products that are "woo" or snake oil, but was just told something that I'm not sure it's woo or not. Last night I went to the store I get my essential oils from and mentioned to the girl that my legs are so full of fluid that it's killing me. She suggested I try seaweed wraps to help with the water retention. I have never heard of that before . I am familiar with the scam/snake oil wraps for cellulite, whichbis making me hesitant to believe it would actually work.

Anyone every trybthem for water retention? Did it help? Opinions on whether it is woo or true (even if you haven't tried them)?

I'm going with woo. If you stop and think about it, how would wrapping your legs in anything draw out fluids? Are they like little sponges or something that can permeate the skin layer? ;)

Seaweed wraps are a woo-filled recommendation for cellulite. Which isn't your issue anyway. :)

Hang in there - the finish line is in sight! :)

Yeah I kinda figured that was the case.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you cannot reduce oedema by trying to "draw the fluid out" - for one thing it's a lot of fluid, pints and pints in each leg! It would be all over the floor if you could "draw it out"!! Also it would just come back, it's a sign of your body just not handling water as well as usual. It absolutely goes back to normal after birth, I've got no similar issues now.

Does your doctor think surgical stockings (compression stockings) would help? They're used for oedema after surgery, I know the main concern there is thrombosis but maybe they help with the discomfort too.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Yeah, you cannot reduce oedema by trying to "draw the fluid out" - for one thing it's a lot of fluid, pints and pints in each leg! It would be all over the floor if you could "draw it out"!! Also it would just come back, it's a sign of your body just not handling water as well as usual. It absolutely goes back to normal after birth, I've got no similar issues now.

Does your doctor think surgical stockings (compression stockings) would help? They're used for oedema after surgery, I know the main concern there is thrombosis but maybe they help with the discomfort too.

I've been wearing compression socks but aren't helping.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options

Oh dear. Then all I can say is "hang in there".
  • babybear_mt
    babybear_mt Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any suggestions, just empathy. My legs and feel swelled so bad by the last 6 weeks or so of my pregnancy (my son came 2 weeks early too) and the swelling didn't go down until almost 6 weeks postpartum. I got to deal with pre-eclampsia, though. Just keep pushing through, it'll get better one day ;-)
  • elphie754
    Options

Oh dear. Then all I can say is "hang in there".

They ended up making my knees swell, pretty much just redistributing the fluid.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Just keep pushing through, it'll get better one day ;-)

Is this really the best wording? I suppose it's appropriate, though... :wink:

Snort! This made me laugh more than it should have.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

It'll all work out in the end. B)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options

Don't you mean "it'll all come out in the end"? :D
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

Don't you mean "it'll all come out in the end"? :D

I was trying to be more subtle. o:)
  • chai22wallah
    chai22wallah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I still have swelling issues even after my daughter was born. The things I find helpful is lymph massage, magnesium, wearing hosiery up to my torso, water and some times just plain rest. Good luck
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just took a LONG Epsom salt bath, infused with a small amount of lavender oil (lavender essential oil was cleared by my OB in small amounts). Felt amazing on my joints and muscles. I don't really see the difference in legs but SO thinks that they don't look as bad as before the bath.

I also got a surprise gift today that I was not expecting at all. My female SO feels bad that I've been having such a hard time lately so she bought me a prenatal massage package from a place that specializes in maternity massages/is also a birthing center, so is trust worthy. It was such a nice surprise that I cried for 30 minutes.

That's so sweet! you will really enjoy that. You sound like you need it!!