How to make chicken not so bland?

2»

Replies

• bricate14
    bricate14 Posts: 3 Member
    My leftovers I usually cut in to pieces, mix with pre-chopped peppers, add in an avocado and stir. You can add anything into it, onion, spinach, etc. Voila no mayo chicken salad!
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    I love Cajun seasoning-like season salt but spicy!!! Also love sweet / spicy Asian sauces...they have sugar but don't take a ton to gain flavor!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I always use chicken thighs instead of breasts. Way more flavorful in my opinion and much more forgiving if you overcook them. Chicken breasts are way too bland for me, even when cooked properly.

So much this... and chicken thighs are so much cheaper... Usually $.89 a pound here.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I like making a chicken salad with the leftovers. That way I don't have to reheat.
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Fry it but only eat half
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    I just had chipotle chicken tacos the last couple days: 1) Cast iron 2) coconut oil 3) diced chicken breast seasoned generously with salt, pepper, and chipotle spice rub 4) cook in hot oil for about 8-10 minutes (small dices cook faster). They tasted great! Served on a small sized soft flour tortilla. About 150 calories per taco
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    put lots of pepper
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2017
    Various seasonings - I, personally, like Italian seasonings, but my wife doesn't :shrug: - and various ways of cooking the chicken.

Bake it with some onions, cheese, and bacon, with some tomato thrown on after? F yeah.

Fried, with mustard? F yeah 2x.

Diced, and cooked in salsa? ubetchurass
  • nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Lemon juice adds a little salt flavor--it's a salt substitute in a salt-free diet--and it would help with dryness. Depends on how much leftover chicken you have but just a little would be enough. Or, try lemon pepper.
  • kentkoester
    kentkoester Posts: 4 Member
    Make a slit in it and stuff it with jalapenos.
    You could also get a dutch oven, wrap the insides with bacon and then put the chicken in that.

If you want shredded chicken for tacos, 1 packet ranch dip mix, chicken broth, chicken breasts, and 1 packet taco seasoning. Put all of it in a crock pock, set on Low, and let it cook for 8-10 hours. Shred the chicken and you have delicious shredded chicken tacos!

Alternatively you could just cover the chicken in various seasonings and find one you like.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    The door of my fridge is filled with various types of hot sauce and marinades.

Mine too! Plus I have an herb garden and a wide array of dried spices and peppers.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Marinades and rubs. Or poach it and add lemon and garlic to the water. Don't underestimate the difference presentation (? prep style?) can make too, try cubes on skewers and strips and stuff.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I like to cook a couple of pounds of chicken in the crock pot with a jar of salsa. I can eat on it all week on top of a bed of lettuce with cheese, sour cream, or more salsa.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    OLD BAY

Rosemary, lemon
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    There's a couple of things that would be helpful for you. First of all, never buy the thin chicken breasts. They cook very quickly and turn dry almost at the same time they are finished cooking. If you want boneless, go with regular chicken breasts (If not, chicken thighs are great!). With thick breasts, give em a pounding with a meat tenderizer/rolling pin/your fists until it's more or less the same thickness across the cut of meat so it will cook evenly. Personally, I think the key to making the best chicken is a cast iron skillet, a meat thermometer, and a decent spice blend. If you don't already have a cast iron, get one and thank me later because they are THE BEST. Heat up some olive oil in the skillet on medium heat and toss your chicken plus your desired spice blend on there. Flip frequently (~a minute or so) until it starts to get a nice golden brown and the thermometer reads ~155-160deg. Pull the pan off the heat it will continue to cook the meat for a few more minutes. Chicken is officially done at 165 deg, don't let it get hotter than that or it'll dry out and be gross. Reheat in toaster oven or on stovetop if possible instead of microwave.

Really, the world is your oyster when it comes to spices. I prefer to use spices over marinades to cut down on calories and make a batch of chicken more versatile for several dishes. I highly recommend flavored salts. I have a smoked sea salt and a habanero salt that give some killer flavor without needing much.

Here are some examples of spice blends:
    Au Naturale: Salt, pepper, garlic powder
    Classic Herbed: Rosemary, thyme, sage, (or use Herbes de Provence instead of these three), salt, pepper
    Spicy Mexican: Paprika, cumin, chile pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper

Also, try this one which is slightly different:
    Lemon and rosemary: Saute fresh chopped rosemary in olive oil until crispy. Strain the rosemary out. Cook chicken in rosemary oil, season with more rosemary, S&P, garlic. Halfway through cooking, add lemon juice. Garnish with more lemon juice before serving. You could do this with balsamic vinegar or mustard if you aren't feeling the lemon.

Good luck, hope this is helpful!

What kind of cast iron skillet do you recommend? Great tips! Thanks!

• hiyaitschloe_x
    hiyaitschloe_x Posts: 36 Member
    Season salt isn't enough, try jerk seasoning, all purpose seasoning, Nando's seasoning they're all so flavoursome and only around 30 calories a serving.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I don't eat it because I hate cooking it. But when I do I just put it in my mouth and chew. Fuel. Protein. Taste the macros.
  • gena_nielson
    gena_nielson Posts: 1 Member
    I usually cook chicken breasts in a small amount of water and two chicken bullion cubes. Cook it with the lid, it gives it alot of flavor and keeps it moist.