Mindless Munchies

The last couple of days I have been dealing with a terrible case of mindless munchies. It tends to struck mid to late afternoon and I am afraid that if I don't do something about it now, I will blow everything I have worked towards thus far.

Anyone have any suggestions as how to combat this issue?

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,836 MFP Moderator
    My first trick is to drink a full glass of water before giving in to my craving. Sometimes I'm actually thirsty, not hungry. If that doesn't work then I go ahead and have a snack but I try to aim for something with fiber that will fill me up a bit - like an apple or orange. Once in a while I just want chips or cookies or whatever so I go ahead and have them, but I log it and move on. :) You can do this!
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    have a drink, you could even go for a nice low cal hot chocolate-they will give you a sweet kick and the fluid helps to fill you up

the other option is to just have loads of low cal munchies in the house, good luck :smile:
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    My steps are:
    1) Water
    2) Gum
    3) Get busy so that my mind is not wandering
    4) If it's just one of those days, I'll go ahead and have something small and satisfying.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Pickled vegetables or homemade vegetable chips (dehydrated or baked, not fried) are something you can eat plenty of without too much worry. They're very low calorie and filling.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,669 Member
    I pre-plan my meals and snacks so that when I feel munchy, 1) I know exactly what and how much I can eat and 2) I have something to look forward to later, which gives me the mental strength to hold out. I remove the "mindless" part.

I also delay taking my vitamins and supplemental fiber until I feel snacky in the afternoon because it fills me up.

Good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I have pre-logged "snacks" (gum and chocolate covered coffee beans) to help deal with the 3p munchies.
  • 890emma
    890emma Posts: 16 Member
    I am going to make raw lemon coconut balls , various types you can make keep them in deep freeze snak as required , make in bulk quick to grab when you crave , l suffer same problem
  • Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    I like frozen blueberries when I want to sit and munch something.
  • kellylynnshonting
    kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
    Thank you to everyone who shared. For me, I think it comes down to a mind over matter type of thing.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    If you search you can find a list of low-calorie massive-portion foods that others have listed as their go-to snacks. Like popcorn or salad or apples etc. When I snack I don't want to feel deprived, like counting 4 squares of chocolate. So depressing. If it's filling I have less risk of over doing it.