I'm addicted to soft drink.

Options
Would live some advice how to get over this! TIA

Replies

• melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was totally addicted too, I made myself drink tea instead. To replace the feeling of soft drink urges. You can have every now and then try Pepsi Max or diet one.
    I'm into ice tea atm
    I think the key is to replace it with something better for you eventually you'll break addiction
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    diet drinks are empty calories but weight loss wise, wont affect it.

years ago i had a BAD dr pepper habit. all day every day. i started alternating soda and water. after a soda, i had to have a bottle of water. then, increased it to 2 bottles of water. i also started by using the wateer mix ins to give the water some flavor. now i drink it plain or with some lemon, if i have any, but i dont need it.

now, i have my coffee in the morning, a diet soda, then water the rest of the day (and i drink constantly). i usually have a diet soda with dinner, but not always.

works for me.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    yeah, you've just got to break the cycle. Just think about the damage it does to your teeth
    dentalhealth.org/tell-me-about/topic/mouth-conditions/dental-erosion
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    yeah, you've just got to break the cycle. Just think about the damage it does to your teeth

I've always thought this was a really silly argument. It's called a TOOTHBRUSH and TOOTHPASTE, people.

I drink plenty of soft drink and my dentist loves my teeth. I'm pretty sure it's not addictive, either.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    switch to diet? problem solved.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

I've always thought this was a really silly argument. It's called a TOOTHBRUSH and TOOTHPASTE, people.

I drink plenty of soft drink and my dentist loves my teeth. I'm pretty sure it's not addictive, either.

yep, the evidence is just silly, i mean of course acid doesn't erode of melt stuff does it?

yep. the British Dental Health Foundation and the American Dental Association are just silly, best ignore the professionals eh?

mouthhealthy.org/en/nutrition/food-tips/9-foods-that-damage-your-teeth
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to diet soda and switched to sparkling water to get over it. I've since fallen off the wagon, but I'm in the midst of kicking it once more, and now I have a SodaStream. Highly recommend.
  • peter2100
    peter2100 Posts: 101 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I just drink zero calorie soft drinks. I'm somewhat addicted to Pepsi Max which has no calories. Addiction is a desire to continue the behaviour. You get a craving for it and you give in to it. What I do is to change my attitude towards it. The thought of doing it has to feel so bad inside that it overcomes any expected reward. At least that's how I stopped eating chocolate. Every time I think about eating chocolate I think how disgusting that would make me. I think about how empty and stupid I will feel afterward. I think about how great being ripped will be. I remember how eating chocolate never made me happy. In the face of that, my desire is pretty much gone. ^^ After a while, cravings will go away too.
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try to switch to carbonated water instead and suppliment with tea for the caffeine.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Another fan of the carbonated flavored waters, like LaCroix. That and iced tea (unsweetened) helped me to kick my Diet Coke habit.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. Had been drinking 3-5 cans of regular Pepsi per day. :o Over the years I'd give it up for Lent just to prove I could. It was always hard & Easter morning I would head straight for a soda. The headaches as I got through the caffeine withdrawal were quite painful.

Get it out of your house as a 1st step. If it's not there you can't drink it.

At least once per day substitute water or another no calorie beverage for your soda. Keep replacing soda with water until you have stopped drinking soda.
  • wayne2017
    wayne2017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was but in the last 2 weeks I have only had 2 cans of Coke. You can do it. Replace the drink with water :)
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I drank tons of diet coke everyday. At first I went to those carbonated flavored waters. Not bad, and I didn't drink as much. I also had crystal light in between. Now that I am drinking 64 oz of water a day plus my morning coffee I have no room or desire to drink anything more. Its been almost 5 months.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I switched to flavored carbonated water when I broke my soda habit, way way way way way back in the day. I eventually started watering down the carbonated water with plain water and ultimately switched to plain water. I do drink some diet soda now.
  • Michelle2622017
    Michelle2622017 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to drink way too much diet soda. At the worst, around 13 cans a day. While, I believe, it is fine from a weight loss perspective I do believe it shouldn't be consumed in such large quantity or even at all.

From a weight loss perspective, I believe it is ok because it doesn't have any calories and I effortlessly maintained my weight in the low 120's for decades while drinking it like it like it was water.

One reason I think you shouldn't drink it in excess is because caffeine is addictive. When I stopped cold turkey (without realizing it because I switched to caeffine free root beer) I experienced a severe headache, naseau, and vomitting. That is kind of extreme, but it does happen.

I think the best way to stop drinking caffeine is to taper off so that you don't have withdrawel symptoms.

The second reason you shouldn't drink diet soda, or any soda, is because it is terrible for your teeth. A commentor above has already pointed this out and provided a useful link.

The low ph of soda is destructive to your teeth, particularly if you drink a lot of it. I have heard it suggested that if you must drink it, don't do it that often and drink it with a straw so that it won't come in contact with your teeth as much.

Another commentor above mentioned that this should not be a problem as long as you brush your teeth. However, this is not the advice I have gotten from my dentist. In fact, I have been informed that brushing too soon after drinking soda can actually make the problem worse.

So, with this information, I gave up drinking soda completely. It has been a couple of years and I do not miss it.

I learned only this week that carbonated water also has a low ph. Something around 3.5 or so. I am not sure about this, so please verify that for yourself. As such, I have (as of this week) given up carbonanted water as well. I am drinking only tap water.

Tl;dr soda is the devil. Drink only water.
  • tarynopolis
    tarynopolis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My aunt lost most of her teeth. She is still addicted to Pepsi.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I just switched from regular Pepsi to Diet Pepsi to comp for the calories. Diet carbonated drinks help to take care of my sweet tooth for the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    My aunt lost most of her teeth. She is still addicted to Pepsi.
    Could that be due to bad oral hygeine?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

It's the acids in soft drinks that will eat away at your tooth enamel. Toothbrush and toothpaste will not help, particularly if you brush too soon after drinking.