1000 calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Asiatashon wrote: »
    Depends on numerous amount of factors! But I can be the test dummy and do it with my polar and tell you how many calories i burned with it.

HRMs are really only *somewhat* accurate with steady state cardio (such as jogging and cycling). That's way too much jumping around to get an accurate reading in my experience.

Good heart rate monitors are almost always accurate. At what they do: monitoring your heart rate. When they're not accurate, it's because it's a chest strap and the weather is cold and dry, or it's a wrist strap that's not being worn properly, not because you're riding a course with rolling hills.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHHAAA.
    No.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Asiatashon wrote: »
    Depends on numerous amount of factors! But I can be the test dummy and do it with my polar and tell you how many calories i burned with it.

HRMs are really only *somewhat* accurate with steady state cardio (such as jogging and cycling). That's way too much jumping around to get an accurate reading in my experience.

Good heart rate monitors are almost always accurate. At what they do: monitoring your heart rate. When they're not accurate, it's because it's a chest strap and the weather is cold and dry, or it's a wrist strap that's not being worn properly, not because you're riding a course with rolling hills.

Good point.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    In 10 mins....NO way! even in 60 mins I would highly doubt a 1000 cal burn...
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Most of anything on Pinterest fitness related is woo.

People can post anything related to fitness on Pinterest and I've seen it all, or at least I thought I had til I saw this. The most common ones I see are related to burning belly or thigh fat. There are some helpful posts, but you have to weed out the woo. Mostly I stick to recipes and crafty crap on Pinterest.
  • horsesdontjudge
    horsesdontjudge Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    jaymeshaye wrote: »
    So I found this workout on Pinterest claiming to burn 1000 calories. I'm fairly new to working out (I did it yesterday and it kicked my but) so I'm just curious to know if this REALLY burns 1000 calories. I know sometimes you can't believe everything on the net !

djkp8ciump6t.jpg

For me, personally, this burns about 125-130 calories. I'm pretty tiny, but I doubt it'd really burn much more for someone heavier than me. I don't know your stats, but I'd guess it didn't burn more than 150-170 calories, if that
  • the_quadfather
    the_quadfather Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Of all the crap posted on Pinterest, this may indeed be the smelliest of them all.

It is physically impossible for any human being to achieve, much less maintain the intensity required to burn 1000 calories in 10 minutes.

There's nothing wrong with this workout, whatsoever. It looks like a great 10 minute routine. I would not expect to burn any more than about 1/10th of that amount of calories though. Maybe a little bit more if you don't rest AT ALL between exercises.

I'm not even going to go to the website at the bottom of that picture. My computer screen might well turn into literal feces from just clicking on the link.

Somebody get me a shovel...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well, are a car? If you are, sure you can burn 1000 calories in 10 minutes, even more. Not sure how you would do crunches in that case without serious damage, though. If you aren't, then tough luck for being more fuel efficient than a car. You will have to settle for an average of 5-7 calories per minute for moderate intensity exercise.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    No ma'am it's not going to happen.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No, definitely not. 1000 calories is several hours hiking over rough terrain, not doing a few calisthenics in your living room.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Maybe 100 calories. Perhaps the person accidentally added an extra 0.

:grin:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even log 100 calories for only 10 minutes of exercise. Complete nonsense. Stupid things like this are why people have so many issues. Too much garbage information out there that is just completely ridiculous and we aren't properly educated enough in school on health and how the body actually works.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even log 100 calories for only 10 minutes of exercise. Complete nonsense. Stupid things like this are why people have so many issues. Too much garbage information out there that is just completely ridiculous and we aren't properly educated enough in school on health and how the body actually works.

Agreed. Nobody is burning 10 calories per minute doing calisthenics, let alone 100 calories per minute.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    1000 in 10 minutes? Very highly unlikely.

In an 1.5 hours, maybe..
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    jaymeshaye wrote: »
    So I found this workout on Pinterest claiming to burn 1000 calories. I'm fairly new to working out (I did it yesterday and it kicked my but) so I'm just curious to know if this REALLY burns 1000 calories. I know sometimes you can't believe everything on the net !

djkp8ciump6t.jpg

Only if you ate 1000 calories immediately before diving into that 10 minute routine and ralphed it all up as a result. B)