Has anyone ever been hindered by gastro issues?

Options
Hi everyone!

I have lost around 7lbs since the 1st December. On average, that is more than a lb a week and and I'm pleased as its the most progress I have made in years. For 7 days now I have been bobbing up and down between the same 2lbs. I am at a healthy defecit of anywhere from 200 - 800 calories, with a BMI of 27.6. I should be leaving the scales alone, I know. It taunts me. But I also don't feel any looser in any of my clothing yet either!

I am coming off Codeine and have had some truly evil gastro-intestinal side effects. I don't want to go into big details, but I will say I have been to the loo at least 5 times a day. And not once have these experiences been remotely normal.

Has anyone else found there to be a correlation between IBS or bowel issues and slowed down weight loss? I am trying my best to drink water but to be honest, it isn't worth it after what happens almost immediately after. (ew.)

Thanks all.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That wouldn't hinder weight loss, it could cause a drop due to water loss. Sounds like a visit to the Dr would help identify the cause of the problem, it's not medically normal. Hope you can get this addressed.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Well, there can be a correlation in the sense that any illness or issue with your digestion can change your patterns of water retention. Good luck with the Codeine and I wish you a smooth transition off it - it's not a very nice drug! But unfortunately necessary sometimes.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I wonder would probiotics be helpful for your digestive issues?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If you're withdrawing from opiates your GI system will be chaos for a while and with that your fluid/electrolyte balance might get out of wack.

Talk to your doctor about the medical stuff and get their opinion on weight loss right now.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It's always possible you might be better to go into maintenance while withdrawing, you don't want to mess up either your weight loss or the withdrawal process, and tackling both at once may be too much to handle.
  • kerriprince92
    kerriprince92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I developed IBS around the same time I started to lose weight - I've always been convinced there's a correlation but I'm sure (I hope) it's harmless and just means I'm more sensitive to fatty or spicy foods as I stuck to plain chicken rice veg etc for the first few months.

I've found it makes my weight loss much more scattered. I have IBS-C so it makes those days result in higher numbers on the scale - but then when everything goes 'back to normal' or a bout of IBS-D it drops quite significantly. I'm sure there are loads of reasons why - but yes my point is that in my experience, whichever kind of IBS you have can affect what the scales say! :)
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i have IBS and can't touch codeine, which is a pain when i get a migraine! in fact most NSAIDS impact my stomach, i have to be careful to keep down my useage-which has been hard recently as Ive had a terrible cold!
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone. All of these suggestions and advice are great!!

I've decided to phone my Doctor on Monday. I need to get this seen to as it's actually ongoing.

I have a feeling I have had IBS-D anyway for around 6 years now. Its pretty much like clockwork, almost every morning after just waking up. Early on I had tried changing my diet, eliminating foods, all that. I've still not found the source. This past week it has went from once a day to 5 or more times a day. It wasn't enough of a hindrance for me to have gone through what my friends and family have went through to get it diagnosed. (I know when it will happen, and I get no stomach pain - I just take my birth control around it so it doesn't leave my system quickly)

It took my sister 4 years to finally get a Dr to listen and even then, they decided to cancel her endoscopy (which she was so pleased about!) and said "We'll just deduce that you've probably got IBS." My friend had been trying to get diagnosed since 2012. Last year she ended up hospitalised with Colitis almost needing a blood transfusion twice. I think in the UK, IBS and allergies are way down on the list of priorities.

The codeine withdrawal came as a shock. I don't feel addicted at all, but I certainly do take them for pain each day - it's such an easy hole to fall into. I have been on cocodamol since March 2015 and just so happened to run out a week early this month. Not having any has caused these effects (restless leg syndrome too - eurgh!!) and I have decided to cut them out. It has become very apparent my body is suffering! Thank goodness that mentally I am coping very well whilst off them as some aren't so lucky.

Thanks again all! Hoping this doesnt last much longer and I will be sure to follow advice.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Gee_24 wrote: »

I've decided to phone my Doctor on Monday. I need to get this seen to as it's actually ongoing.

I have a feeling I have had IBS-D anyway for around 6 years now. Its pretty much like clockwork, almost every morning after just waking up. Early on I had tried changing my diet, eliminating foods, all that. I've still not found the source. This past week it has went from once a day to 5 or more times a day. It wasn't enough of a hindrance for me to have gone through what my friends and family have went through to get it diagnosed. (I know when it will happen, and I get no stomach pain - I just take my birth control around it so it doesn't leave my system quickly)

It took my sister 4 years to finally get a Dr to listen and even then, they decided to cancel her endoscopy (which she was so pleased about!) and said "We'll just deduce that you've probably got IBS." My friend had been trying to get diagnosed since 2012. Last year she ended up hospitalised with Colitis almost needing a blood transfusion twice. I think in the UK, IBS and allergies are way down on the list of priorities.

The codeine withdrawal came as a shock. I don't feel addicted at all, but I certainly do take them for pain each day - it's such an easy hole to fall into. I have been on cocodamol since March 2015 and just so happened to run out a week early this month. Not having any has caused these effects (restless leg syndrome too - eurgh!!) and I have decided to cut them out. It has become very apparent my body is suffering! Thank goodness that mentally I am coping very well whilst off them as some aren't so lucky.

Thanks again all! Hoping this doesnt last much longer and I will be sure to follow advice.

IBS is not a priority anywhere because of the fact that while it is nasty it doesn't really do damage to your intestines like the other GI disorders do :(
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Gee_24 wrote: »

IBS is not a priority anywhere because of the fact that while it is nasty it doesn't really do damage to your intestines like the other GI disorders do :(

which is crazy, because all the scientific evidence at the moment is showing how damaging inflammation is to the body as a whole :neutral:
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have IBS, I avoid my trigger foods. No more Doritos, no more really fatty foods like fettucine alfredo. It's not worth the horrendous stomach pain.