eating too much fruit

Options
hey everyone

i've noticed i've gone abit crazy with my fruit intake (i've just scoffed a golden delicious apple, 2 plums and 7 large apricots...7!!) im starting to become really worried about my eating habits as im aware sugar can hold u back from reaching your weight loss goal, i've stopped buying multipack snacks as i cant help but go through the whole pack in one go and now its fruit!

how can i stop doing this??? please help im feeling really distressed :-(

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much fruit.
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also eat lots of fruit, in fact most of my sugar intake comes from fruit. Usually in a day I will have 3 - 5 portions. I know that weight watchers recommend that you should only eat 2 -3 portions a day, so I would also be interested to hear what others have to say on the subject!
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    If you are getting your main source of sugar from fruits you don't have to worry about anything. Now if you are eating all that fruit and then desserts, yes you might have a problem lol.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's the processed sugar you have to keep watch of. Things like fructose corn syrup and crap like that is the bad stuff.
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much fruit.

This is not true. You can eat too much fruit. However, don't beat yourself up if you eat too much here and there. Just try to only splurge on fruit every now and then. Everything is ok in moderation, but you can eat too much of even the good stuff. However, I will say it is better to eat too much fruit than too much junk.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If you are getting your main source of sugar from fruits you don't have to worry about anything. Now if you are eating all that fruit and then desserts, yes you might have a problem lol.

lol thats what I was thinking...

Moderation is always best :flowerforyou:
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The only problem with fruit is that you may be eating too much sugar... This once metabolized will create acid and acid isn't great for your body. Other then that fruits are some of the best aliments you could have and I love them too!
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If you're staying within your calories for the day, I'd say you're much better off binging on fruit than on snack packs.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    No one gets fat from eating fruit! :) If it keeps you away from the processed sweet treats, I say keep eating your fruit!
  • hajra123
    hajra123 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks,

yes i'd rather eat fruit than multipack crisps however i think my problem is psychological..i just cant stop myself i just think 'oh if i finish them now then i wont have any to think about later'

its crazy i know, i've also hit my plateu i cant seem to budge from 125lbs since may!..my target is 112lb
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No one gets fat from eating fruit! :) If it keeps you away from the processed sweet treats, I say keep eating your fruit!

The thing is fruit has calories. Therefore, you can eat too much fruit and gain weight....
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Veggies are way better than fruit for you. When they say 5 portions of fruit and veg, it is better to get 3 veg and two fruit, as they have less sugar, more vitamins and more fibre. At least, that's what a nutritionist told me! My dentist also warned me against too much fruit.
    Having said that, I ate way more fruit than vegetables, I should take my own advice!
  • hajra123
    hajra123 Posts: 13
    Options
    yeah there is a thing as eating too much fruit as certain fruits contain high levels of carbs, sugar and fructose
  • fteale
    Options
    yeah there is a thing as eating too much fruit as certain fruits contain high levels of carbs, sugar and fructose

Fructose Is the sugar in fruit. And the fibre in fruit means the sugar is very slow release, not like eating neat processed sugar. Really, given all the threads about fat free cakes that are rolling in processed rubbish on here, there really is nothing wrong with fruit. A medium apple has 35 cals. You aren't going to get fat from fruit.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    doesn't a medium apple have more like... 80 calories?and a medium apple is like the bagged apples, not like the big stinking ones that are individual. that's more like a large and around 105 calories? eating 10 of those plus normal food all day would be a problem i think.

not that i have a problem with fruit, but every food should be done in moderation...
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

Fructose Is the sugar in fruit. And the fibre in fruit means the sugar is very slow release, not like eating neat processed sugar. Really, given all the threads about fat free cakes that are rolling in processed rubbish on here, there really is nothing wrong with fruit. A medium apple has 35 cals. You aren't going to get fat from fruit.

You can get fat from anything if you have more than your maintenance caloric intake of it. Not sure where you're getting your info either because a medium apple has closer to 75-100 calories than 35.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    w221310289.jpg
  • fteale
    Options
    http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories/calories_in_fruit/calories_in_apples.html

No where near 100 cals. For any type. On here is says 35 cals for a medium sized cox.

Having looked at 6 other sites, they all give 45 cals per 100g, which is an average sized cox apple, one of the sites gives 31 for a small apple.

Maybe American apples are bigger. Like the soda servings and the people.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories/calories_in_fruit/calories_in_apples.html

No where near 100 cals. For any type. On here is says 35 cals for a medium sized cox.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

http://www.caloriesinanapple.net/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/296905-calories-in-a-medium-apple/

http://www.dietbites.com/calories/calories-in-apples-2.html

I have a Google page worth of similar results if you want more.

EDIT: It seems that Cox apples (which I've never heard of before) are lower in calories than other apples.