Feeling dizzy/fatigued every time I stand up

Options
For the past while now, whenever I'm sitting or laying down and decide to get up I experience an uncomfortable amount of pain in my head leaving me dizzy or exhausted.

At first I thought I just wasn't feeling well and it would pass eventually, but this has been going on for awhile now and I'm starting to feel worse. I'm really getting drained from this feeling because it really does seem like every time I stand up I get that instant sharp pain.

I'm starting to think it could be diet or exercise related, but I didn't feel this way before with my current plan.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Maybe I'm deficient in something and need to tell my doctor about this...but if you felt this way before please tell me your experiences.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Seek hands on medical advice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What "plan"? How many calories are you eating? What does MFP you should be eating before/after exercise?

Perhaps you need to see your doctor.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Do, did you have high blood pressure?

I did and diet and exercise brought it down so my meds made it too low.

You need to see a doctor.
  • somegirlsdo
    somegirlsdo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is called Orthostatic Hypotension and can have a whole bunch of possible causes, many benign, but some not. It's time to go to the doctor.
  • BigOrchid
    BigOrchid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would advise seeking medical help :) Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, I get this when I'm dehydrated.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I think, looking at the photo, you are not eating enough but to be on the safe side, please see your doctor. And take great care of yourself, please.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. It could be from not eating enough, but you should rule out any medical causes.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    You should check with your doctor. I've had dizziness with inner ear infections, but also intense dizziness and fatigue with migraine headaches and a vertigo diagnosis. In the meanwhile, a Dramamine might help you function....Unless it makes you sleepy.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What "plan"? How many calories are you eating? What does MFP you should be eating before/after exercise?

Perhaps you need to see your doctor.

The days I log my calories I eat around 1600-1700 calories, but I eat more on the weekends.

The plan I was referring to was just my calorie goal and exercise regimen.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This is called Orthostatic Hypotension and can have a whole bunch of possible causes, many benign, but some not. It's time to go to the doctor.
    You made a diagnosis of a stranger, on the internet, based on one post?

Yes i think to make such a diagnosis is very dangerous indeed.
    Get yourself to the doctor as soon as you can.
    Get professional help
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I was going to suggest you look into orthostatic hypotension too. I've had thi since childhhod. My blood pressure drops when I get up (for most people it rises) so I experienced head pressure, tunnel vision, and occassionally fainting.

It can be caused by low corticosteroids which should be checked out. Mine was made worse by a higher carb diet. Since going LCHF, it only happens a few times per year rather than every time I get up. Higher salt intake helped too.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I still think you are not eating enough. 16/1700 must be exclusive of exercise credits, let alone the demands of your daily life. I think you need to see your doctor to be checked out. And, if you are using mfp to set your intake consider your activity level. I believe it is impossible for someone with your photo not to be more than sedentary. are you eating the calorie allowance earned from exercise? Young men and women, often well into there 20's need more food than those who are older.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I still think you are not eating enough. 16/1700 must be exclusive of exercise credits, let alone the demands of your daily life. I think you need to see your doctor to be checked out. And, if you are using mfp to set your intake consider your activity level. I believe it is impossible for someone with your photo not to be more than sedentary. are you eating the calorie allowance earned from exercise? Young men and women, often well into there 20's need more food than those who are older.

I do light activity usually 4-5 days a week and sometimes eat exercise calories depending on how I feel. I feel I'm eating enough calories, but seeing a doctor which others suggested is probably the best option. I really hope it's nothing serious.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    100% agree it is doctor time, and agree calories too low. 1600 for a 21 year old, 5'8" male ?
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    And just to point out - your goal as posted in the linked thread is an underweight BMI. I am 6 inches shorter than you, at goal, and weigh more than you are aiming for. Talk to your doctor about a healthy weight goal when you are there as well.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to recall, but weren't you also doing something special with your diet? High carb, low fat, low protein, or something like that?

I agree with the others, speak to your doctor. While you are there, ask for a referral to a registered dietician to help you sort out a dietary plan that will work for you.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You made a diagnosis of a stranger, on the internet, based on one post?

I don't see this as a diagnosis so much as a name being applied to the symptom that he has described. And based on his description I agree with calling it orthostatic hypertension. And as suggested a trip to the doctor is in order to get a diagnosis of why this symptom is happening.