I can't lose weight

Options
OK let me lay it out for you I eat 12 to 1300 cal a day four days a week 1660 cal a day three days a week I work out three times a week most times I don't eat but 1200 to 1300 cal A week why don't I lose weight I drink 16 glasses of water

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food and drink?
    Where are you getting your calorie counts?
    How long have you been tracking calories consistently every day?
    What are your sex, age, height, and weight?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything with food scales?

How long have you not lost weight for?
  • tburgess242002
    tburgess242002 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I use a food weight measure I go by how many ounces is on the bottle or the glass that I drink of water on 54 years old I'm a male I am 5'8" like I said I i've weighed 213 lbs. 5 oz. I log consistently for over 860 days and been doing this for probably four more to six months before I lost service that you couldn't get it to log I use the scan on the MFP and MFP itself to tell me what the calories are I think that's everything
  • tburgess242002
    Options
    Yes I weigh everything with the scales and One year eight months
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I think you are getting some additional calories in there somewhere but that's okay. I think even if there are a few more in the mix you probably need them. When I get into that zone I increase cardio to increase fitness and add burn. I never weighed any foods when I was logging but I did over estimate any meals or foods without a barcode.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you actually eating those calorie levels or netting them after exercise calories are added in? Could you open your diary?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Suggest you open your food diary as the numbers don't add up - someone your size should be losing at that calorie intake.
    BTW - water intake is an irrelevance for weight loss. Important to stay hydrated but the number of ounces you drink or don't drink doesn't explain why you aren't losing weight.
  • tburgess242002
    Options
    OK I opened it up I know the numbers don't add up that's what I can't figure out either
  • tburgess242002
    Options
    Even if I was 1660 calories a day working out three times a week for 30 minutes I should still be losing weight according to app
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    How big are you now? If that's you on the left in the picture you're already really skinny so it would take extreme dieting to get smaller as your caloric needs would be low even to maintain. Also, weight training? What's your muscle to fat ratio?
  • tburgess242002
    Options
    Yes that's me on the left and I weigh 213.6 I'd like the weight 200 to180 I don't know what my body fat is
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    When you log iceberg are you just eating it plain, is it on a sandwich? Do you use spreads or dressings that you are not logging? Do you use oils or fats when you cook? What about other drinks, a beer or a Starbucks or something?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Had a quick look at your diary - there's some common mistakes in there if you want to be accurate.

A potato and butter, not weighed.
    Using cups (volume) for measurement not grams or ounces (weight) - wonder if that half cup of granola is actually a lot more calories than you think?
    The difference between getting a half cup of lettuce wrong isn't significant but high calorie density items like granola and chocolate pudding can really add up.
    Slices of bread - probably reasonable.
    Generic egg - probably reasonable.
    One cut of cheesecake - open to large error.
    Suspiciously round numbers for portions when weight is selected, estimation or actual weighing?

Think first step is to ditch the measuring cups and use a digital scale. At the moment I don't think your calorie data is accurate.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Had a quick look at your diary - there's some common mistakes in there if you want to be accurate.

A potato and butter, not weighed.
    Using cups (volume) for measurement not grams or ounces (weight) - wonder if that half cup of granola is actually a lot more calories than you think?
    The difference between getting a half cup of lettuce wrong isn't significant but high calorie density items like granola and chocolate pudding can really add up.
    Slices of bread - probably reasonable.
    Generic egg - probably reasonable.
    One cut of cheesecake - open to large error.
    Suspiciously round numbers for portions when weight is selected, estimation or actual weighing?

Think first step is to ditch the measuring cups and use a digital scale. At the moment I don't think your calorie data is accurate.

I agree but he states he is only eating 1200-1300 most days as well which is too low for a male(but he still should be losing if its really that low)
  • Goodjaz50
    Goodjaz50 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that you're not eating enough. A man exercising regularly should be eating more than 1300 calories/day. And you're probably not eating enough protein. Try cutting out the flour (bread) and sugar (cheesecake) completely and upping your protein and fat.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Even if I was 1660 calories a day working out three times a week for 30 minutes I should still be losing weight according to app

if you arent weighing everything on a scale,which more than likely means eating more than you think then 30 min a day may not make a dent in your weight loss.30 minutes of exercise may be not burning enough calories off making a deficit. you should also as a male be eating no less than 1500 calories(unless under the care/advice of a dr).entries in MFP are off quite often even when you scan the info can be wrong for that entry,which can be a pain in the butt. you need to cross reference labels with the info it gives you. if it doesnt have a label cross reference with the USDA site.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    There's definitely hidden calories somewhere, be interested to see the OP's response.
  • rs604
    rs604 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    are you honestly putting everything you eat or drink into you food dairy? except beer of course because it doesn't count.