I can't lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• tburgess242002
    tburgess242002 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If there's a question about the calories then I always to go with the high side which should mean and I eat less calories than I'm actually saying I'm eating i'm telling you I'm not hiding calories if I drop the six 700 cal I can lose weight but way too low for man they say 1200 to 1300 way too low for me and they say something is not right and I just don't know what it is I also do use the scale not cups and less it's something like lettuce and I weigh everything in ounces I wish I knew the answer if I drink anything other than tea or water I'll log it such as beer I do the very best I can at Logins no plain lettuce very rarely but sometimes I do use something oil but I scanned it
  • tburgess242002
    Options
    Yes I am and yes beer does count
  • tburgess242002
    Options
    What or who is a OP
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If there's a question about the calories then I always to go with the high side which should mean and I eat less calories than I'm actually saying I'm eating i'm telling you I'm not hiding calories if I drop the six 700 cal I can lose weight but way too low for man they say 1200 to 1300 way too low for me and they say something is not right and I just don't know what it is I also do use the scale not cups and less it's something like lettuce and I weigh everything in ounces I wish I knew the answer if I drink anything other than tea or water I'll log it such as beer I do the very best I can at Logins no plain lettuce very rarely but sometimes I do use something oil but I scanned it

I'm confused why you log things as cups (granola is a regular for example) if you actually weigh it.
    The calories in food are in relation to weight not volume.
    If I have granola mixed with yoghurt it is more likely 400 - 500 cals and you are logging just 243cals.
    The granola is also a generic entry not a specific brand - they vary hugely from brand to brand.

This entry for example:
    Granola - Cereal, 1 cups 133
  • tburgess242002
    Options
    Good point have to look into that
  • tburgess242002
    Options
    Checked the granola it was about double very interesting so how do you know where to get real numbers from Real weight real amount from for food if you don't scan them
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Checked the granola it was about double very interesting so how do you know where to get real numbers from Real weight real amount from for food if you don't scan them

I put my cereal bowl on the scales, zero it and then add the granola to get the real weight in grams. Ditto the yoghurt.
    Then choose the right entry from the database (including brand and variety) or check against the packaging.
    Beware there are loads of awful user generated food entries in the database, chicken without protein, macros that don't add up to the calories, wrong portion sizes etc etc....
    Bar codes aren't infallible either.

It's a bit onerous at first but with items you commonly use they appear in your recent food list for use next time.
    I would say it's very educational and worth investing the time at least for a short period. Then decide what level of accuracy is sustainable longer term.
    My idea of a regular "portion" of granola was actually double what the packaging suggested.

Last time I logged granola it was probably before a big cycle ride as this is a large amount even for me!

Sainsbury's - Granola Cereal, 120 g 504cals
    Rachel's Organic - Vanilla Yoghurt, 150 135cals
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Look at the nutrition panel after scanning. If it doesn't match, look for the entry that does or create a new entry.
  • tburgess242002
    Options
    Thank you all for your help this is been very insightful and helping now maybe I understand I've been eaten maybe more than I thought so if I say 1200 cal I should be just 600 calories a day i've been working on building a database for quite a while thank you for that suggestion it does come in handy that you use regularly
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    OP means original poster or original post. I was suggesting you were deliberately hiding calories I just meant you were accidentally eating them without knowing it, like with the granola. If something I eat is scannable I for sure scan it, then there is no guessing or confusion. Logging properly is an investment in time but you do get faster at it, and you have to really do it all or nothing, in between doesn't really help any. If you miss out some salad dressing, a handful of nuts and some mayo or something there could be 5, 6, 700 calories right there. There's 50 something calories in a tablespoon of curry powder, if you can believe it. Gotta log every last thing and use the existing database like a pro.
  • tburgess242002
    Options
    OP means original poster or original post. I was suggesting you were deliberately hiding calories I just meant you were accidentally eating them without knowing it, like with the granola. If something I eat is scannable I for sure scan it, then there is no guessing or confusion. Logging properly is an investment in time but you do get faster at it, and you have to really do it all or nothing, in between doesn't really help any. If you miss out some salad dressing, a handful of nuts and some mayo or something there could be 5, 6, 700 calories right there. There's 50 something calories in a tablespoon of curry powder, if you can believe it. Gotta log every last thing and use the existing database like a pro.

Thank you very much I will try to get much better than what I'm doing I've gotten quite used to it and I have logged on for 867 days so straight dedication is not a problem I'm really just trying to eat right and still lose some weight I want to eat enough my body is not hurt by it but I can go without a lot of stuff that I have now so just snacks in the Exter thank you
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Thank you very much I will try to get much better than what I'm doing I've gotten quite used to it and I have logged on for 867 days so straight dedication is not a problem I'm really just trying to eat right and still lose some weight I want to eat enough my body is not hurt by it but I can go without a lot of stuff that I have now so just snacks in the Exter thank you

you can still eat stuff you like, just weight it and make it fit into your calorie goal.you need to eat at least the minimum for a male which is 1500, but if you are really active then you need more. the point is to eat as much as you can calorie wise but still be in a deficit to lose weight. plug in your stats into MFP as well and go from there.also dont choose too high of a deficit. you should have yours set to lose about .5(1/2) a lb a week since you want to lose 13- 30+ lbs. you may be able to set it to 1lb loss per week until you get down where you need to lose 25lbs or less then you want to change that to 1/2 lb per week. your body will be fine if you eat enough calories.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    First, let me say that you have a very impressive record of logging in your Diary going back to July 2014. That is a great accomplishment.

My stats are similar to yours, I am 55 and 5'8" and I started out at 240 lbs. and I have been seriously logging since July 2013. Since then I have lost over 90 lbs., currently weigh 147 lbs., and net about 1800 Calories to maintain at a Sedentary activity level. If I consistently net fewer than 1800 Calories I still lose weight. I learned a lot about logging everything I ate and drank and choosing the correct entries in the MFP Food Database over those three years.

I went through your Diary to see what your average daily intake was for days that look like you logged for the full day. Some of the things that I did not see and could be possible omissions are condiments (mayo, ketchup, salad dressings, salsa, etc.) and calorie dense things such as butter and oil used for cooking. All of those should be weighed and logged separately when possible. I did not see many typical beverages and drinks such as milk or coffee and only a few days of beer and no other alcohol - all of those count too.

For the most part, many of the brand-named items entered seem to be in the ballpark for what I would expect the Calories would be for the listed volume or weight, such as the yogurt, almonds, cheese slices, etc. On the other hand, the entries for many of the homemade items, for example the sausage-cheese balls and walnut bread could be incorrect. When I make recipes at home, I use the MFP Recipe Tool or Old Recipe Calculator to get a better estimate of the Calories per gram for a serving.

Looking at some of the items logged within the last few weeks, the one that stands out (as others have already pointed out) is the numerous half cups of granola cereal logged as 67 Calories, which is way low. Store-brand granola ranges from 250 to 300 Calories per half cup.

Barring any undiagnosed or untreated medical conditions, if the Calories you have logged over the past few weeks, and even months, were indeed everything you ate and drank, you should be losing weight. I really think you are missing hundreds of Calories on a daily basis that are not being counted. My diary is open and it goes back daily to July 2013 if you would like to look at what I have logged for examples.

Even after a couple years of logging, I still find entries that I thought were correct, but found out weren't. If we are not losing weight, the first thing to look at is the accuracy of what we are logging.
  • tburgess242002
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you very much that was very helpful I don't drink anything but tea ☕️ or water