Protein Powder

Options
Hi All, I've been reading up on the benefits of protein for women and for weight loss. I'm not looking to substitute any meals, I like my food too much, but I would be keen to hear of anyone who currently takes protein powder (especically whey isolate) as a supplement to help with nutrition, exercise and to help weight loss. I've been reading that whey isolate is the purest form with the highest protein levels, does anyone take this and are there any particular brands you would recommend? I found this one here in NZ http://www.raiseys.co.nz/products/isol8 and based on what I have read it seems good quality. They key for me is that it doesn't contain too many calories as I was thinking of taking it post workout.

Any feedback/thoughts/suggestions would be welcome.

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something post workout, you might want to go with a higher carb/protein ratio....like chocolate milk...yes...chocolate milk.

It's got almost a perfect 4:1 ratio which is great for recovery.

As far as protein powder goes, I will have a 6oz water/powder mix of Strawberry Bodyfortress SuperAdvanced Formulat, it's 140 calories for one scoop.

You could also try putting like 1/2 scoop into oatmeal.
  • shundraiw
    shundraiw Posts: 1
    Options
    I use a whey protein from GNC and it works wonders. I have it at breakfast or after work out with a fruit or yogurt. I also use it as a food replacement at times if I am really busy on the go. I use Slim-Fast as well and whey seems to hold me more than the Slim-Fast. The taste is not the best but just 8ozs and swallow fast, you'll be good. I hope this helps.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress from walmart is a hello of a deal... Love it post work out. helps give the muscles what they need so I can actually move the next day without feeling 100.
  • Lillemi82
    Lillemi82 Posts: 21
    Options
    Great question:)
    I stood in front of the store shelf with those massive containers of all kinds of powder the other day. It was just confusing and a bit overwhelming so I just walked outta there....hehe.

I've been wondering the same thing as I'm on the go a lot, and have a busy schedule, which often puts my workouts pretty late at night. After that I'm not really ready to do any cooking, so a nutritionally well balanced shake of some kind would be great.

Will follow the thread for more good answers :)

-H
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Need of help as well. I have a friend that used Vega Protein Powder, but that's a meal replacement and it costs A LOT. I would like something that I could use as both a meal replacement (with added ingredients such as fruit or peanut butter powder) or just by itself when I need it, like after some weight training or a hard cardio workout. Anyways, I'll look into the one from Wal-Mart, it sounds decent.
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Six Star Pro Nutrition Elite Series Professional Strength - Whey Protein + Plus Triple Chocolate. It was around $25 at Walgreens. I believe it's around 160 cals per scoop. But for extra cal's I will use 1.5 and blend it with 1/2 cup of soy milk, and 1/2 cup of blueberries. It's delicious! It sounds expensive but it comes in a huge container and lasts me for two weeks.
    I've also heard that the beach body shakelogy drinks are good too!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I've been reading up on the benefits of protein for women and for weight loss. I'm not looking to substitute any meals, I like my food too much, but I would be keen to hear of anyone who currently takes protein powder (especically whey isolate) as a supplement to help with nutrition, exercise and to help weight loss. I've been reading that whey isolate is the purest form with the highest protein levels, does anyone take this and are there any particular brands you would recommend? I found this one here in NZ http://www.raiseys.co.nz/products/isol8 and based on what I have read it seems good quality. They key for me is that it doesn't contain too many calories as I was thinking of taking it post workout.

Any feedback/thoughts/suggestions would be welcome.

Yup, here are two very high quality products.

This is low-carb / low cal shake that you can use as a snack or part of a meal if you wanted. I've heard people mix-up peanut butter, fruit, and other stuff with the vanilla and banana flavors.
    http://www.t-nation.com/store/supplements/metabolic-drive-low-carb.jsp

This is something you drink while you're working out and something you kind of sip on during the day. I've noticed positiive results since I've been taking more of it. I have one serving during workout, one during the morning and one in the afternoon. One serving is only 58 calories, it's just some protein and Amino Acids. Also, this protein is a whey hydrolysate and is a bit different than the typical whey. It's fast acting and can actually be used during a fast if you so choosed so.
    http://www.t-nation.com/store/supplements/mag-10-anabolic-pulse.jsp
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I use BodyFortress, and generally have a scoop or two after a workout, depending on the intensity level. I've found that it has seriously helped with muscle recovery, especially after my runs, because I have quite a bit less aching and fatigue the next day if I supplement with the powder right after I finish.
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Whey Isolates are not as good as Whey Concentrate. You also have to look for powders that are low carb, low sugar and definately soy lecithin free. Soy is very bad for you. I'm just a health conscious person and don't like taking things with a bunch of synthetic crap in it. I like Dr. Mercola's Whey Protein for my strength days and I take Scivation's Whey (sometimes) for my light days.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Whey Isolates are not as good as Whey Concentrate. You also have to look for powders that are low carb, low sugar and definately soy lecithin free. Soy is very bad for you. I'm just a health conscious person and don't like taking things with a bunch of synthetic crap in it. I like Dr. Mercola's Whey Protein for my strength days and I take Scivation's Whey (sometimes) for my light days.

You do realize that Soy reduces your LDL cholesterol levels right? The estrogen-like effects of soy's isoflavones (diadzein and genistein) may help to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis. Genistein might also play a role in preventing the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, as it has antioxidant properties. Soy helps to lower cholesterol, due to its increasing of bile-acid secretion.

Whey Isolates are the purest protein available. It's absorbs into your system very fast, is low carb/sugar and it's also filtered to remove the lactose. It has a complete amino acid profile as well.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

You do realize that Soy reduces your LDL cholesterol levels right? The estrogen-like effects of soy's isoflavones (diadzein and genistein) may help to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis. Genistein might also play a role in preventing the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, as it has antioxidant properties. Soy helps to lower cholesterol, due to its increasing of bile-acid secretion.

Whey Isolates are the purest protein available. It's absorbs into your system very fast, is low carb/sugar and it's also filtered to remove the lactose. It has a complete amino acid profile as well.

Yes. Also, the whey hydrolysate is somewhat newer and even that much better because of how quickly it gets used. I've also read that it has some insulin regulation properties to it.