Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    rack, bar, plates, bench
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    @jemhh Thanks! Wish me luck! Looking forward to it!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell or a bar are the way to go. If you can afford a weight bench, you can use an exercise ball (as a bench) for bench presses. I'd steer clear of kettle bells for a while. Unless you have been instructed on proper form, you're more likely to injure yourself using them.
    And don't forget to stretch afterwards!
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell!!!! Start with a 10 lb. bell. It is a cardio and strength workout in one. Search you tube for basic moves. Warning...it can get kind of boring. I prefer getting my exercise by playing...cycling, racquetball, etc. I can "play" for hours but can only "workout" for 20-40 minutes before quitting.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    anlymc13 wrote: »
    I am trying to lose 100+ pounds and would like to start working out at home. My goal is to tone as I lose the weight. I want to decrease my chances of having a ton of loose hanging skin. From what I've read, on other forums, strength training is the way to go. What are your recommendations for pieces of equipment I can use at home? Thank you!

Strength training is good during weight loss as it lessens the amount of muscle you lose along with fat. But it can't really help with lose skin. Not losing to quickly, eating right and staying well hydrated inside and out (use a good moisturizer!) are your best bets to minimize loose skin.

As for a recommendation for home strength training it's hard to say without knowing your preferences and available space. You don't actually need any equipment (look into body weight exercises). That said, I purchased a Total Gym a few months ago and love it.
  • brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm 388lbs.
    I got this ball in 75CM
    , https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018OY79RU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and have been doing these exercises: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf5ChEBp1As&t=235s
    (The ABC's one made my arms feel like they would fall off lol)

I have also been using the "MapMyWalk" app and synced it to MyFitnessPal. Walk around my house several times. I only could do 6 1/2 minutes last night before my knees and ankles started hurting really bad, but it's encouraging to take more steps every day :) First Goal is 1 mile this week :)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Cheaper to join the gym.

Not necessarily.

Depends on how much your gym costs and how much you want/need to spend on equipment and how long you will continue to use the equipment.

A typical gym membership costs sbout $25-40/mo or about & 300-480/yr. You can set up a well equipped basic home gym for around $1-1.5k and the "break even point would be around 2-5 years, depending on your actual costs.

Not that long to enjoy working out in the privacy of your home, which is why I spent the $ to set mine up over 5 years ago.

Seems silly to me, the gym has more equipment than you'll ever be able to fit into your house. End of story sir. Do you have a power rack with band extensions? I doubt it and this is the best piece of equipment you can have.

Also you can join the gym for $10 a month and upwards of $130 per month just so you understand the costs a bit better. So if you paid $10 a month your break even point would be 12.5 years ...

You should also be into this for life... so I wouldn't factor in time I'd be using the equipment because you should always be using it, even more so the older you get.

Also shouldn't detour people from joining the gym, nothing wrong with the gym. Lots of people use it to socialize, I see the old guys every morning... They lift some stuff and then talk for 20 mins ... nicest guys!
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It depends what you like to do. For me, treadmill and kettlebells with a mat are now a minimum. For you, it could he something else entirely.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lacrosse ball. little-teeny super-bounce balls from the party-favours section of toys 'r' us.

knee-sized theraband, and/or any pair of sweatpants with a strong waistband that you can push down to your knees. broomstick for dislocates and, once those are done, some way of doing pull-aparts for the rear shoulder muscles and upper back.

enough floor space to do hip circles and turkish getups. excel or some other spreadsheet thing where you can plan and record what you do.

these are peripheral to actual lifting equipment, but oh-so-essential to me.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Cheaper to join the gym.

Not necessarily.

Depends on how much your gym costs and how much you want/need to spend on equipment and how long you will continue to use the equipment.

A typical gym membership costs sbout $25-40/mo or about & 300-480/yr. You can set up a well equipped basic home gym for around $1-1.5k and the "break even point would be around 2-5 years, depending on your actual costs.

Not that long to enjoy working out in the privacy of your home, which is why I spent the $ to set mine up over 5 years ago.

Seems silly to me, the gym has more equipment than you'll ever be able to fit into your house. End of story sir. Do you have a power rack with band extensions? I doubt it and this is the best piece of equipment you can have.

I would say yes on the power rack, and no on power bands. A fair bit of what fills conventional gyms is silly *kitten* isolation machines.
    Also you can join the gym for $10 a month and upwards of $130 per month just so you understand the costs a bit better. So if you paid $10 a month your break even point would be 12.5 years ...

Planet fitness is not a gym. Just sayin'. :D
    You should also be into this for life... so I wouldn't factor in time I'd be using the equipment because you should always be using it, even more so the older you get.

That's a good reason to figure in the return on investment.
    Also shouldn't detour people from joining the gym, nothing wrong with the gym. Lots of people use it to socialize, I see the old guys every morning... They lift some stuff and then talk for 20 mins ... nicest guys!

@OP asked about home gyms. It's entirely appropriate.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Cheaper to join the gym.

Not necessarily.

I would say yes on the power rack, and no on power bands. A fair bit of what fills conventional gyms is silly *kitten* isolation machines.

Planet fitness is not a gym. Just sayin'. :D

That's a good reason to figure in the return on investment.

@OP asked about home gyms. It's entirely appropriate.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's exactly what the OP was asking about.

I like having minimal equipment at home. It's kind of fun to improvise at times when I want to try something different.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I'm going to celebrate reaching my next goal by setting up a home workout area: Indoor trainer for my bike, iPad stand to watch movies and workout videos, a rug big enough to lie down on, and a bodyweight workout poster. Later, I'll add a pull-up bar, some basic weights, and some weighted hula hoops (for fun :smile:).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Cheaper to join the gym.

Not necessarily.

So, what's your point? That you can't have enough equipment at home to work out effectively? If so, you're wrong.

I have a power rack w/band extensions in my garage but I don't use bands. Bought a couple but have never needed them.

Also in my garage, I've got 2 bars (an Olympic Penlay and Hampton Power), 2 trap bars (one a Rogue rackable), 2 Rogue Farmer's Walk handles, a Rogue multipurpose bar, a T-Grip bar, an EliteFTS Safety Squat Yoke bar, a GHD bench, a Sissy Squat stand, a Cybex adjustable incline bench, a deadlift jack, over 1k# in bumper plates (plus about 300# in steel plates and various weights including fractional), a pair of Gold's Gym branded adjustable dumbbells (50# each) plus the stand), 2 plate racks, a 9 bar floor rack and a landmine bar holder. Frankly, few people have a better equipped lifting set-up than I do and that includes many gyms where I've visited or been a member.

In the house, I've got a LeMond RevMasterPro spin bike and a Concept 2 Rower. 2 of the best pieces of equipment of their type. All I need for cardio.

In the backyard, I've got a 50' battle rope, a sled and a 200# tractor tire that I use for "crossfit" training.

I also belong to a gym. Just got a free membership via Medicare -- I'm 66. The gym has more equipment that I can use but I don't need to use any of the equipment there because I have all of the equipment I need at home.

In fact, I have no interest in using the equipment at the gym at all and the only thing I've used my gym for so far has been to sit in the hydro spa, sauna and steam room, which (I must admit) that I don't have a home but I could certainly add them if I wanted.

LOL!!! ;)

If you buy your own equipment and make a financial commitment to it, you're definitely in it for the LONG TERM. Not necessarily so for people who join and drop out of gyms w/regularity.
    Also shouldn't detour people from joining the gym, nothing wrong with the gym. Lots of people use it to socialize . . .

Who's discouraging people from joining a gym? The OP started this thread asking for advice regarding the type of equipment to buy to set up a home gym, which is what HE wanted to do.

If you want to join a gym, go for it. No skin off my nose. But, if you are serious about working out and not just socializing (and again, nothing wrong w/that), there's no better way to do it than set up your own gym at home.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Cheaper to join the gym.

Disagree. I've been adding over time, but got started with perfectly functional used equipment for under $250.
    Lizarking wrote: »
    rack, bar, plates, bench

I would add a yoga mat, foam roller and Kettlebell. $50 bucks max on Amazon.
  • anlymc13
    Options
    Alright, it has begun! I already have a yoga mat with stability blocks, a voball, and a Magnetrainer. I have, on order, a set of resistance bands, a set of 3 hand weights, an exercise ball, a foam roller and a 10 pound kettle bell! I am super excited to start this home gym! I'll keep working towards a bench, treadmill, etc. I am not comfortable in a gym and this is a life change. I don't want to be paying for a gym membership (for the rest of my life) when I could be using that money towards the equipment I WANT to use in the comfort of MY home. Thank you for all of your help! Wish me luck
  • anlymc13
    Options
    *forgot to mention: husband will also be ordering DDP Yoga!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I bought the kettlebell worX program online I love it ...I also lift weights from home
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Cheaper to join the gym.

☝That!!!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Good for you! There is no right or wrong if it's cheaper to join a gym. There are too many variables to say it's true or not. I have everything I need in my home gym and spent about 1500 bucks. Most gyms cost at least 30 bucks a month so that would only get me about 4 years there. I've already been using my gear for 5 so I'm in the black.

Building your own gym requires a much larger up front financial commitment than the gym, but if you're really in it for life, it's worth it. Explore this before making a huge plunge. Search Craigslist and you'll find more used (or unused) fitness equipment than anything else. Is this part of a New Year's resolution, or is it really a long-term plan? If you aren't sure the gym is the way to go.

Good luck in achieving your goals!