Does sodium actually matter?

I've read conflicting studies everywhere, but today im at 3300 total but I also drink a gallon of water a day.... Idk.... Is this really that bad? I just really like salt lol

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Well, it's an essential mineral. So yes, you need to eat it. More so if you're exercising. Too much though and it will screw up your electrolyte balance and end up bloated and/or dehydrated. It's a good idea to keep it close to the RDA of 2300mg for overall health
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    I try to keep it around 2300 mg, but there are days when it's up around 3300! Especially if I have Chinese food or popcorn. I'd say it's only a problem if you have 3300+ all the time. There are days that I don't even hit 2300.

Like galgenstrick said - yes, the body needs it, and too much or too little has consequences (bloat and/or dehydration).

I try to keep it around 2300 - and I do sometimes drink just a little Gatorade to try to keep the gut in check...along with fiber and probiotics.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I've found if I reduce my salt intake too much, I develop unwanted issues like facial twitching and really low blood pressure. I also tend to crave things like potato chips ... my body's way of saying, "Eat more salt already!"
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited January 2017
    Sodium matters if you have high blood pressure, hypertension or certain other medical conditions.

Also, there's a minimum required amount of sodium (500ish mg, I believe) - but it's almost impossible not to consume that much, so nobody worries too much about it.

For health, what *actually* matters is not your sodium intake but the ratio of your sodium and potassium intakes. So, if you get more potassium, you can/should have more sodium and vice versa.

For weightloss, consuming more sodium may make you retain water for a few days but is otherwise mostly irrelevant.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    For me personally I notice an increase in bloating when I consume too much sodium. I also have a rather extensive family history of cardiovascular disease. Since I like my clothes to fit, and I'd rather not add to the list of health problems I have, I try to watch my sodium intake and keep it under 2,000mg. I don't feel too badly when I have a special dinner out and I'm so far over it's not even funny.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    midpath wrote: »
    I've read conflicting studies everywhere, but today im at 3300 total but I also drink a gallon of water a day.... Idk.... Is this really that bad? I just really like salt lol

When I get more than the recommended amount I look fat the next day.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Interesting article from mayo clinic
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479
    My husband is now having kidney problems, and the doctor recommends little to no sodium , even with that he still gets plenty. I don't cook with salt anymore nor do I add it when eating. Yet I still get plenty.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Water follows salt. This causes osmotic shifts of fluid between compartments in the body ... whether that be into/out of cells, veins, extra cellular space.

It plays a critical role in so many bodily functions.

Guidelines are general population guidelines. Individual needs may vary for people with specific conditions.

*most* people though need to stick to the RDI of they want to be healthy.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Sodium matters if you have high blood pressure, hypertension or certain other medical conditions.

Also, there's a minimum required amount of sodium (500ish mg, I believe) - but it's almost impossible not to consume that much, so nobody worries too much about it.

For health, what *actually* matters is not your sodium intake but the ratio of your sodium and potassium intakes. So, if you get more potassium, you can/should have more sodium and vice versa.

For weightloss, consuming more sodium may make you retain water for a few days but is otherwise mostly irrelevant.

I tried upping potassium to compensate for too much sodium. Put me straight into Tachacardia(resting heart rate over 100 BPM). YMMV.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    You should aim to keep your sodium near 2300mg. Supplementing with potassium is unnecessary and can be dangerous.