Help with deadlifts

Options
Will someone provide me info on how to deadlift. No matter what I think I changed in my form it looks like I'm doing a squat but while holding a bar. It looks stupid. I only really feel it in my legs. It looks like going parallel on a squat but holding a barbell.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd get coaching from someone with knowledge on deadlifting (a good PT, maybe one in to powerlifting?)
  • kalagius
    kalagius Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's more about sticking your butt out and bending at the hips while keeping your back straight as you go down and coming up is the same but when you get the bar back in line with your hips you roll your shoulders back. But yes I agree with livingleanlivingclean get a trainer to show you the proper form because if you're not doing it properly then you won't get the full benefits.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Starting Strength coach is my recommendation. Most personal trainers don't know proper form either...

If that's out of your budget, then buy and read Starting Strength.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength coach is my recommendation. Most personal trainers don't know proper form either...

Unfortunately, there are no Starting Strenght coaches near me at all. I think I'd be better off just with a personal trainer, I've read on how to do it and I'm attempting that but no matter what I do I can't properly do it.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »

Unfortunately, there are no Starting Strenght coaches near me at all. I think I'd be better off just with a personal trainer, I've read on how to do it and I'm attempting that but no matter what I do I can't properly do it.

There are several online Starting Strength coaches. They can give you feedback using video. If that's not an option then just be sure to interview the trainers to be sure they know what they're doing
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Upload a form check video, using heavy weight. :+1:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    post a video.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yes - post a video. Preferably (to avoid potential derp) in the ETP Group Form Check Thread.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You're probably initiating the lift with your hips too low but of course it's hard to say without seeing a video.

Read this then watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfYez7-h55c

The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time

1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.

Once you're in the proper position, you don't drop your butt -- you lift your chest. Don't lower the hips after you touch the bar with your shins.