Ack!! My doc said walking is useless!!??

Options
I love to walk and am feeling discouraged. My new family doctor said walking is essentially useless for losing weight and only weight-lifting is going to help me reach my goals. He is a highly respected doc in our area and so I took what he said to heart and feel discouraged now because I have loved walking for years. I have started weight training 3 times a week, but still want to walk for cardio and because otherwise I would never get outside.
What do you guys think? Does walking help you with weight loss or not?

Replies

• highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Walking is movement, movement is beneficial ... maybe not towards the sharp end when you want a lot of fitness but to say its useless is a bit much
  • mrmarkharding
    mrmarkharding Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    He is right if you don't hit your ideal heart rate when walking. If you walk at a normal pace and your heart rate stays the same, it is useless.Do some research before changing doctors as some of these people have said.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I lost my first couple pounds with walking and running as my primary form of exercise and I lost the last couple pounds with just walking as my primary form of exercise. I also love to walk. As long as you eat less than you burn, you'll keep losing weight. The strength training is indeed good, but walking does allow for extra burns that will help increase your deficit for weight loss. Also, even *if* it were true somehow that walking does not help with weight loss, if it is a form of activity that makes you happy or keeps stress away, it is not something to give up.
    I'm surprised your doctor actually said that. Even if this doctor is well respected, you don't have to take EVERYTHING he says to heart. You'll find plenty of other well respected doctors who would disagree with him.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Walking has always been my go to exercise and it has always worked for me. That's why it's what I am starting with this time as well until I can build up my stamina to handle other plans. Eating less and walking can help. Now, I don't think a slow, leisurely snail like pace where you stop to smell the flowers is going to help, but an average walk with intermediate brisk walking thrown in will get your heart pumping. If your muscles hurt, you are working them out. My butt, stomach, and legs have been killing me since I started.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I walk alot+ alot of other things like swimming, acqua-gym, yoga and gym stuff. Lifting is a good idea, and doesn't mean you have to give up walking. You might try speeding up your pace, or walking farther. Many lose weight without exercise, but for overall health--I'd exercise. As for your doctor, it seems like a strange comment to make because alot of people on MFP have lost weigh just walking. Perhaps you took it out of context? Walking cannot hurt your weight loss--so go.
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Walking does help with weight loss. It just takes longer cause obviously 10 minutes of walking doesnt burn what 10 minutes of running does. But if you walk all day...! There was a story on a guy who stood for a full month, exception was sleeping. And he lost 5 lbs.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    He is right if you don't hit your ideal heart rate when walking. If you walk at a normal pace and your heart rate stays the same, it is useless.Do some research before changing doctors as some of these people have said.

Not correct. I do have some high heart rate workouts, but the bulk of my extra calories comes from walking at a heart rate that is considered in the "recovery zone". I'm talking a basic slowish pace that is faster than strolling but not fast enough to breathe faster. I have lost a lot doing just that, and I don't lift.

Your doctor is not right. Any meaningful increase in activity regardless where it's coming from can make achieving a calorie deficit easier.