Sport / Fitness - Psychology / Habit Change

Hi!

I am trying continously to change my habit and work out more than 2-3 days /week. But lately I am only working out 2 times a week MAX due to health problems (cold, back pain). I wanted to raise to 4 times a week or even 5 but I am not raising the bar to at least 3x a week constantly without major gaps :/

How can I change that and stick to working out regularely without breaks!?

Also I cant shake the habit of eating sweets/candy regularely (4x a week) or binging on weekends.
Tried to switch to high protein for satiety and calorie free stuff; but the chocolate haunts me...

Someone any idea?

Are there any good books on this topic besides the usual "do SMART goals" stuff?
Tried that multiple times and it didnt work :/

Or should I try professional help?
Like a psychologist who can tell me more WHY I am doing it?
Or a personal trainer who can motivate me and give me hints HOW TO work out regularely?

Replies

• putska176
    putska176 Posts: 1 Member
    I hear you on chocolate and sweets. crave like crazy sometimes. It seems when I start, it gets worse. I read a book called the The Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart Program. It made sense to me and it worked well for controlling cravings. I am getting back to this diet after life took me away from it. You have to choose to make yourself a priority and get focussed on it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'm very data driven and love lists and goals, so for me being accountable to a fitness tracker works.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    First, no excuses. Get your *kitten* out of bed and work out first thing so you don't put it off/ talk yourself out of it. Next, realize that ANY workout is better than NO workout. Even if you're sick or dealing with an injury, you can still do some yoga or other low resistance work. Finally, try different things until you find those exercises that make you WANT to work out.

As for the sweets, going low carb WILL help-- but you have to give it time. The cravings don't go away overnight. In the meantime, opt for just one small piece of quality dark chocolate and truly savor it, rather than binge eating a bunch of crap that you're not even truly enjoying anyway. Also, you may even find that once you master the art of working out regularly, the exercise helps to curb the cravings as well.

I doubt you need to seek professional help (unless your weekend binges are followed by purging or severe restrictions during the week). Most likely you just need to find what works best for you, and then MAKE IT work for you.