What is the healthiest way to eat?

Options
I want some opinions. No right or wrong answers. What do you think is the healthiest way to eat? What's the most sustainable? What's the cheapest?

I'm a mother of soon to be 3 (2 plus 1 baking) and want to prepare the best foods for my family with out breaking the bank or depriving of nutrients. I am currently plant based and since finding out I'm pregnant fear that it is not sustainable because simply I've been wanting eggs for breakfast haha

Let's see what everyone thinks!

Replies

• showerbeer182
    showerbeer182 Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm.....I usually go with a fork...or wait...not always...soups I do a spoon...oh and like sandwiches and umm like pitas...chips...that sort of stuff I use my hands...sooo..I mean..variety of ways for me!
  • kyliempressnell1229
    kyliempressnell1229 Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hmmmmm.....I usually go with a fork...or wait...not always...soups I do a spoon...oh and like sandwiches and umm like pitas...chips...that sort of stuff I use my hands...sooo..I mean..variety of ways for me!

Well I did say no right or wrong answers haha
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Any way that is maintainable for YOU. :)
  • showerbeer182
    Options

Mmmmhmmm you did not :)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and I think it is the healthiest way to eat if you do it right (love veggies, fruits and healthy protein substitutes, including eggs). But I'm an unhealthy vegetarian, so I'm not the one to ask.... lol.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Do whatever helps make you happy while keeping your physical and mental health in check.
    For me personally:
    Making sure to eat any and all foods I like, whenever I want, in the appropiate portion sizes.
    Making sure that I follow somewhat of an 80/20 plan with most meals providing a lot of micros/macros, and then having a couple treats every day to satisfy cravings. It wouldn't be sustainable for me to vow to never again eat the sweets, cookies, chips, etc. that I love.
    For cheap food, I compare weekly ads of local grocery stores, price match when possible, buy protein bars/powders in bulk on sale, shop the clearance aisles, use coupons, and use rebate offers.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean? Are you asking about a particular eating plan (paleo, veg, etc?) I really don't understand the question. But I will answer the best way I can - doing it the way below is how I lost 45 lbs 2 years ago, and quitting doing what I did is why I am here again, trying to lose that 45 lbs again.

The way I eat is - I just buy normal everyday food that I enjoy and that I can fit into my plan while meeting my nutritional goals, esp. calcium, protein, and fiber. I try to choose foods that will best keep me at my calories and meet my minimum nutrition...

For breakfast, I typically eat:

1 cup (227 g) of Stonyfield Farms Lowfat French Vanilla Yogurt (or SF Greek French Vanilla, or a mix of the two)
    3/4 cup (30 g) of Whole Grain Total Cereal
    Calcium supplement, and fiber supplement with additional vitamins (Fiberwell Fit)

For snacks I eat fresh fruit like a banana, or some strawberries, or a cheese stick. Or a bowl of instant oatmeal now that the weather is cold. I drink my coffee black and only lightly sweeten my hot tea when I drink it (a large 17 oz mug of tea would get only 1.5 tsp of honey, if that or if I sweeten it at all...some varieties of tea I don't sweeten at all.)

I try to eat a little lighter during for breakfast and lunch (350 calories or less) and save more calories for the end of the day and after dinner when I tend to get munchies or want wine. ;)

I don't consider any food "bad" though I take into consideration: Is it going to be WORTH the calories I am going to spend on it? If I don't ADORE it, I am probably not going to eat it. I will occasionally enjoy something outrageous like a sweetened cappuccino, but only if I have saved enough calories for it.

I do not believe in doing regular "cheat" days because that usually gets me off plan. Since I work in treats like wine and ice cream I don't need to "cheat."
  • showerbeer182
    Options
    Wow.....these answers are way better then mine.... :/
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Re-read OP's second sentence (or sentence fragment).

The foods I eat now are likely making me "healthier" than I was.
  • showerbeer182
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Re-read OP's second sentence (or sentence fragment).

The foods I eat now are likely making me "healthier" than I was.

Very wise....verrrrry very wise! Thank you :)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Wow.....these answers are way better then mine.... :/

You're entertaining lol on 2 threads so far
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This recipe site might help you with the budget.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think the healthiest way to eat, is getting in everything you need every day, but not too much of anything over time. Some food from every food group every day and from several for each meal. Eating meals. Not eating between meals. Eating food you like. Not eating food you don't like. Variety. Trying new things. Taking care to compose good meals, but not obsessing about doing it "right" or "eating healthy".

The cheapest way to eat is by buying simple, single food ingredients, balance them (i.e. appropriate amounts of starch vs protein vs fat vs vegs) and cooking from scratch as much as practically possible. Buying in bulk when something is on sale. Not buying too much, and use up everything. Choosing cheap foods most often, and splurge now and then.

Frugality is where healthy, sustainable and cheap meet. So many people want our money. Common sense is important, and you build up experience as you go. You will find your own way, one that works for you.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options

Seconded!

When I tried to make drastic dietary changes, I managed to keep it up for a few months, lost 50 pounds (yay!) then got burnt out on the restrictions and limitations I'd put on myself, gave up, then gained it all back.

For me, I'm trying to learn how to have a healthy relationship with food and eat like I would eat on maintenance. I need to learn how to do that if I'm ever going to successfully maintain a significant loss. That means eating a variety of foods with no restrictions other than my calorie limit.

Congrats on your new little one! :)
  • kyliempressnell1229
    Options
    I've dabbled in using meat substitutes but feel like the whole processed food thing makes it worse than eating actual meat... so I'm torn because I don't want to fill my body with garbage but can't stand meat
  • kyliempressnell1229
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »

Seconded!

When I tried to make drastic dietary changes, I managed to keep it up for a few months, lost 50 pounds (yay!) then got burnt out on the restrictions and limitations I'd put on myself, gave up, then gained it all back.

For me, I'm trying to learn how to have a healthy relationship with food and eat like I would eat on maintenance. I need to learn how to do that if I'm ever going to successfully maintain a significant loss. That means eating a variety of foods with no restrictions other than my calorie limit.

Congrats on your new little one! :)

I appreciate this response! I have a 2 year old and soon to be 1 year old and pregnant with number 3 and my goal is to have a healthy pregnancy this time! And develop a healthy relationship with food ❤
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Simplicity and small changes you can sustain long-term. I incorporate fruits and vegetables daily and try to consume 7-8 servings daily by eating a green smoothie almost daily during the weekdays. Creating one healthy habit until it becomes a lifestyle then incorporate a new healthy habit. For example, drinking 8 glasses of water and achieving this goal daily. I don't allow myself to have any sugary drinks unless I have met my daily water requirements. Most of the time, you are too full or no longer craving sugar drink if you keep yourself hydrated. Review your not so healthy habit and make ONE small change. Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you don't like meat, but also don't like super-processed meat substitutes, do you like eggs, beans, lentils, quinoa, peas, nuts, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese? Those are all protein sources....
    I like to make sure I get lots of veggies each day, and a good variety so mix it up. Whole grains, protein. That's the basic meal idea.
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The cheapest is whole fruits, vegetables and whole grains and zero processed as you are buying in bulk. Keep in mind find what is sustainable for you based on your dietary needs and likes and wants.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    This recipe site might help you with the budget.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/

That's exactly what I was going to post.