Accuracy of the doctor's scale

Options
Hi everyone,

I just went on a doctor visit this week, and the nurse had me do the regular stand-on-the-scale (with clothes + shoes) before leading me into the office for general questions. My doctor pointed out that I lost 9 pounds since the last visit, which was six months ago. Woohoo!

But I wonder, since they weigh me clothed, how accurate that weight is? The doctor actually asked me, “Is that by accident or on purpose?” And I replied, On purpose — I've been watching my diet and exercising these past 6 months. (But I don't weigh myself obsessively because I know that my weight fluctuates.)

I generally fluctuate around 140 lbs (nude), plus or minus 5 lbs. This week, they weighed me (clothed + shoed) at 137.5 lbs.

Are there notes/insight on MyFitnessPal about weigh-ins at the doctor? Does it take into account clothes/footwear worn?

Thanks,
-kat

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Were you wearing clothes and footwear? If yes, I'd say it was part of your measured weight.

It's important to use the same scale to track your progress, though. Weighing one weight today on your scale and then weighing a few pounds more tomorrow on a different scale doesn't mean that you gained weight. It just means that you should pick one scale and stick to it.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'd have been more interested in you going straight home and weighing fully clothed on your home scale to see how much of a difference there is. But in general I think most scales will vary a bit, especially if it's only 2-3 lbs like your case. Just keep using the same scale to measure weight loss.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    There is often a discrepancy between scales.

For accuracy, you should weigh on the same scales, at the same time of day (preferably after a wee), in the same clothes (or none). Regularly recalibration of scales is also a good idea particularly if you shift them around.

Essentially though, if they weighed you o. The same scales in the same type of clothes the difference in weigh could be considered a good measurement.

Take is as a guide not an absolute though, as variable like different scales, earlier/later in day, heavier clothing of course impact the actual measured weight.

Well done on your loss!
  • yourfriendlaurie
    yourfriendlaurie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've always weighed 2-5 lbs more at the doctor's office (clothes, shoes, and often later in the day after eating) vs. at home (no clothes/shoes and on an empty stomach first thing in the morning). This has been true over the years at a variety of doctor's offices and with a variety of home scales. So you're probably several pounds lighter in real life!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    The doctors notes would be comparing 6 months ago fully clothed, and now fully clothed. So if they say you've lost lbs, then that's accurate.

At home you'll compare your naked weight one week with your naked weight another week, and that's how you'll make the comparison for your own purposes.
  • katsushii
    katsushii Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, all.

Yes, it was the same scale at the doctor's, 6 months ago and now, and both times fully clothed, and probably both times with relatively full belly.
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Were you wearing clothes and footwear? If yes, I'd say it was part of your measured weight.
    I've always weighed 2-5 lbs more at the doctor's office (clothes, shoes, and often later in the day after eating) vs. at home (no clothes/shoes and on an empty stomach first thing in the morning).

Yes, I was wondering if the doctor's office scale accounts for weight of clothing and footwear.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    katsushii wrote: »
    Yes, I was wondering if the doctor's office scale accounts for weight of clothing and footwear.

I'm sure the doctor's scale simply weighs whatever is put on it. If that includes clothing and footwear, it would count in the weight.

As far as being accurate, if the scale is properly calibrated it should be accurate as to what your weight is at that moment when you step on it, wearing whatever you're wearing and with whatever food/liquid content is in your stomach/intestines at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that reading varies from what you see on your scale at home. Stepping on two different scales, even moments apart from each other in the exact same clothing/conditions, will almost always result in different readings between the two.

For purposes of tracking your weight, it's best to weigh on one scale only, under as close to identical conditions every time as possible. For me that's first thing in the morning every morning, right after I use the restroom, with no clothes on and before I've eaten/drank anything. If I have to step on a doctor's scale at a different time of the day under different conditions, they can record that weight and do whatever they want with it, but the reading makes no difference to me because I know it's a different scale and different conditions, so I fully expect a different reading than what I got that morning at home.

We don't actually even have a "weight", per se - we have a "weight range", which can fluctuate by several pounds throughout the day. When you step on a scale, it's a snapshot of that exact moment in time - if you go eat breakfast, or go to the bathroom, or go exercise, or drink a glass of water, your weight would be different if you stepped on the scale again. And if you stepped on it again two hours later, it would probably be different again. None of those weights are inaccurate - they're what you weigh at that given moment. For tracking purposes, it's a good idea to compare "like to like" as much as possible to minimize the variables.