Breakfast? Do you eat it or skip it?

Replies

• indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    I think about food pretty much all the time, so usually I'm up eating breakfast as soon as I can! I certainly don't ever skip it :yum:
  • DuncanK2016
    DuncanK2016 Posts: 1 Member
    avskk wrote: »
    Reaverie wrote: »
    I have issues with feeling hungry or thirsty until well after noon. I am trying to remedy that by forcing myself to eat regardless. It is NOT easy! Im not a morning person.

Can I ask why you're trying to "remedy" your body's natural eating patterns? Why not just skip the meal you don't want and use those calories when you're actually hungry? It's okay to go with your natural meal-timing preferences -- your body and hunger cues are not the enemy! :smile:

Completely agree with this, some days I'm hungry and have breakfast, other days I'm not. Eat when you're hungry, not when society thinks you should.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I think too that it's a personal preference. Breakfast is my fave meal of the day and some people could care less. As long as you are on track, it doesn't matter.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    It REALLY depends for me. Sometimes I skip, sometimes I just have a cookie or a piece of fruit, sometimes I have a fairly substantial breakfast. Heck, sometimes, if I have to be at work super early and wake up hungry, I have second breakfast! I figured out a long time ago that forcing myself to eat when I didn't want to was not necessary. So now I just follow my stomach's lead. If I wake up feeling like I could eat the north end of a southbound skunk, then I eat. Yesterday, though, I didn't eat until close to 1pm.
  • rnedwbt
    rnedwbt Posts: 57 Member
    I get hungry within a couple hours of waking, so I always eat breakfast. It's typically something substantial - hearty oatmeal, avocado and hard boiled egg on whole wheat toast, egg casserole, breakfast sandwich, etc.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I eat breakfast or make a smoothie. Only because I am not a morning person and need my AM caffeine, which makes me shaky and sometimes nauseated unless I eat. Nothing wrong with skipping it though, if that works for you.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    I have breakfast every day at 12:30, today i had 300 gramms of mashed potatoe, 3 eggs 4 slices of wholemeal bread with cheese & marmelade.
    my second meal is at 16:30 (about double the calories of breakfast) then its fasting again till 12:30 the next day

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Each and every morning, I eat an entire box of Pop Tarts before I get out of bed.

There's several boxes sitting on the night stand right now.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    I'm intrigued! When you say you eat breakfast at your desk do you literally mean while you are typing away at your computer or do you go to lunch room and sit and have it there. We are only supposed to have a 10 min am break - hardly time to have breakfast at work!
  • CanadianMissy
    CanadianMissy Posts: 39 Member
    edited January 2017
    rosnz wrote: »
    I'm intrigued! When you say you eat breakfast at your desk do you literally mean while you are typing away at your computer or do you go to lunch room and sit and have it there. We are only supposed to have a 10 min am break - hardly time to have breakfast at work!
    O
    I am self-employed. So, while I actually do sit at my desk and interact with the public, I also eat when there isn't a client present. So, yes, I actually eat AT my desk. But I try to keep it discrete as I don't sit there munching away in front of clients - that would be rude, IMO. Hence the reason I try to stick to quick "hand" foods like muffins, etc.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    I have coffee for breakfast.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Definitely have brekky - sets your metabolism up for the day! Do a smoothie mixed with 1tsp of melted coconut oil. The combination of protein and fat will keep you full and it's easier to drink breakfast than eat since it's quick, portable and you don't need to chew (perfect when you're not hungry anyways)!
    That would be a no about metabolism. Metabolism runs 24 for 7 and doesn't need a "start" to get it running. We're not cars.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    rosnz wrote: »

Some employers have rules against eating at your desk.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    It's easier for me to lose and maintain weight if I skip breakfast. Even if I wake up hungry, as soon as I start drinking coffee I'm fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I skip breakfast 6 out of 7 days. Usually on Sunday, I'll have some eggs and bacon, but that's usually because I cook breakfast for my DW and DD and it's a time we sit and eat as a family with no distractions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    I have breakfast but not as soon as I jump out of bed. I take a medication that does not allow me to eat for at least an hour after take it. I have a microwave at work so I have found many things that I can eat at my desk. I try to have a breakfast of between 300 and 350 calories, sometimes a little more. Even eating breakfast I find, most days that I need a snack of some sort to keep me going until lunch, usually 5 to 6 hours after breakfast. I am also diabetic and it has been highly suggested that I eat frequently throughout the day, at approximately the same times, to maintain my blood sugar levels. I am not a fan of smoothies but that is one option and you can find many other options if you take a little time to search the internet.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Depends really. I am NOT a morning person as I work 2nd shift, so my first meal of the day is generally around lunch time before I leave for work. I have what I would call my lunch and dinner while at work, I do the gym after work and eat "fourth meal" or whatever you want to call it after the gym about an hour before I go to sleep.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    It's strange but all through my childhood and teenage years i could NOT go without breakfast, or else i'd get that nauseous, sweaty, light headed feeling. As soon as i hit my 20's it completely vanished, and now i have no problem not eating in the a.m
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    I prep my breakfasts (and lunches) for the week and eat both at work. It takes more than an hour between home and work, and it's just more comfortable to eat once I'm at my desk than to rush through breakfast at home. Since my work day starts at 8:00, breakfast is done by 7:45. It usually consists of an oat-based bread of some sort, banana or orange, a single-serve packet of peanut butter, and, most important, coffee. I also pack in my first round of water at this time.

If life gets weird, I'll eat breakfast and lunch in one sitting. I'd rather eat late and comfortably than scrunched and rushed.